Finally got my wife on board!

Cosmic_surfer

It will probably be fine for movies and background music.

Now serious music listening would show it for the bottleneck it is.....

Shakey

here we go with this guy again.
Plus it gives no facts or experience to base it on. It's like sayings it's junk because its the color blue. And all things blue are junk. And if you want good music it has to be the color red. End of story case closed!

Ha I smell bs :)

Edited by reference_head

Shakey

It's a shame when someone can't voice their opinion in a (relatively) open forum. I was not rude or discourteous. You know, everyone in an internet forum won't always agree with you. Hope that didn't hurt your feelings too much.....

Shakey

Plus it gives no facts or experience to base it on. It's like sayings it's junk because its the color blue. And all things blue are junk. And if you want good music it has to be the color red. End of story case closed!

Ha I smell bs :)

No, it's not "end of story". And this ain't my first rodeo. I have heard enough receivers in my day to know that I don't want to live with one again for anything other than home theater. So since this OP is primarily interested in home theater, I said he is "all set". What is wrong with that?

And it's not about being elitist, snobbish, or price driven. There are many high powered, expensive receivers that would have their collective asses handed to them by a lowly thousand dollar tube amp when listening to MUSIC.

So again, we are in the home theater forum and my area of concern is music, so I apologize for all the ruffled feathers.

Shakey

Come on now. It's a receiver. We are going to have to agree that it sounds ok, but you can do better for the same or less money. No shame in that, it's just the way it is. Unless you fall into that camp of "all amps sound the same". I certainly hope that 's not the case.

Shakey

• Like 1

Come on now. It's a receiver. We are going to have to agree that it sounds ok, but you can do better for the same or less money. No shame in that, it's just the way it is. Unless you fall into that camp of "all amps sound the same". I certainly hope that 's not the case.

Shakey

If you're gonna knock receivers, the home theater section isn't the right place to do it.

• Like 1

Major problem is it is missing the mcacc mic for calibration. Bummer...

I think I have a brand new one from a VSX1021 somewhere. You can have it for just the cost of postage.

I'm on the road this week but will look for it when I get home on Friday if you want it.

There are many high powered, expensive receivers that would have their collective asses handed to them by a lowly thousand dollar tube amp when listening to MUSIC.

That is pretty true, but again, it's all about what each listener hears with his own ears.

And it's not about being elitist, snobbish, or price driven.

That I do believe is sincere but it's all in the delivery and the way it is conveyed(and received) when offering our opinions.

It's not all cut and dry but I will agree that most music will generally sound "better" through a quality tube amp(pre and amp, integrated) or SS amp(pre and amp, integrated) over most(if not all) home theater receivers.

Opinions are welcomed but criticism(or perceived) of others gear may not be so well received.

I am sure we all can agree on that.

Enjoy the music. :D

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 3

Shakey

I think better amps can sound better. And the right amp can be a very nice upgrade. But this is far from saying that all avrs sound bad with music.

Well one week down and some new news to report. The elite rx-70 that I purchased will be returned tomorrow for store credit which we are applying to the 60" sharp q+... and upgrading it to a 70"! Today I saw a pioneer elite sc-65 ending in just 20 minutes. Discussed it over with the wife real fast, she green lighted me for $650 shipped... We won it slightly higher than budgeted at 658 shipped (love sniping). So overall it has been a very good week! I cant wait to get this monster receiver, and very excited to get the near 4k resolution 70" q+!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been 9 days since I paid for the receiver, and I have yet to get the item. Called to fedex yesterday and according to them, the seller has yet to drop the package off... I filed a claim to get my refund today. If I get the funds back, it looks like there is a NIB sc-65 for a little less than what i won this auction for. Have to wait till the 29th without anything before I get the money back though.... Christ why do these people even exist...

• Like 1

There are some things I am afraid to buy via on-line auction, like electronics. The Klipschites here a few weeks back helped me NOT buy an iPhone after I won an Ebay auction, due to some flaky replies to my questions by the Seller, and I don't regret walking away from that one a bit.

The reputation of the Seller and customer service DOES matter for on-line transactions, to me.

your having a rough time. i'd call it a day and buy new

+1 You might want to consider a new Pioneer (non Elite) unit. The models that start with SC have the D3 amps and are electronically the same as the Elite models but can be had for less. I have been extremely happy with my SC-1222-K and was able to get it for around $550 with an extended warranty ( at Newegg). Not sure what deals are out there now though.

Shakey

Shakey, imagine how good your system would sound with KLIPSCH speakers? :D:rolleyes:B):lol::P:huh: