My new DeanG networks…

Guest Steven1963

"....

OOOOhhhh Burn! He just called you out man. You gonna put up with that? LMAO! If he said that crap to me, I'd be finding that SOB....

..."

Only if you thought that any of this matters. It doesn't!

So many of these threads turn out to be infomercials and advertising campaigns. I guess in this case someone is bragging that he re-builds and designs electrical equipment without the advantage of basic electronic measurements. I guess there is a market for that sort of thing. Anyway, good luck on your marketing strategy, I hope it works for you. I just can not figure out why the name calling and insults are required. Is this part of creating a "mystique" for the products?

+1

Nobody is saying that they rebuild or design equipment without electronic measurements... just that the ears are what matter in the end.

As far as recreating sound in your home, I don't see any problem with using any tools at your disposal and to the extent that you know how to use them to look for ways to improve the results.

But wait! what do you or I define as the "RESULTS" for which we are striving? I don't even think many of the folks posting here would completely agree with each other on this. "GOOD SOUND" is too ambiguious as I would argue that we would not all agree except in the most general of terms.

For me, I want to be transported to the venue and to feel like I'm in the club or hall or wherever the performance is taking place. I want to forget that I am even listening to a reproduction but that I am right there in front of the performers. It's all about how it makes me FEEL.

For others, they might want to be right in the middle of the band or orchestra and they are inclined to be looking at 5 channel or higher. Or maybe they just want to piss off the neighbors.

I have no trouble imagining that there might be active systems with EQ that might sound pretty good but I have a hard time believing they aren't limiting themselves in the end! I have definately heard lousy setups that also didn't happen to have any EQ. Ultimately, if you have to leave all that stuff in place you are putting stuff in the way between you and that great music you are wanting to hear.

Use your tools however you want to get your sound the way you want but I think you need to use those tools to discover and fix your problems, then remove the tools from the room.

Nice post, muel.

Some, especially relatively new forum members, seem to be unaware of the fundamental divide between music heads and equipment heads. "Audiophile" may sound like we are all one, but the divisions within our passion are similar to those contained with the word "American"...and remember, Americans fought the bloodiest war in our history against each other.

I am not so surprised at the occasional rancor here as I am at the general peace that prevails. The equipment head revels in tube rolling, cable swapping, and all manner of tweaks and twiddles that make the music head's eyes roll. The music head goes limp with great recordings of music they don't even like...just because the recording is extraordinary. Their power cables may be intertwined with line level cables and the may have a turntable on top of a loudspeaker...but they don't care as long as the music sounds good.

It's all good.

However, I find baiting from any source offensive and ad hominem most offensive above all.

Dave

• Like 1

You can still be a music head as opposed to an equipment head but enjoy different system architectures from one another.

Some people simply can't accept this point.

Edit: I listen to old Grateful Dead recordings and such............these leave a lot to be desired as far as souond quality goes. So what..........that's the music I like and it brings my system down for sure. It would anyone's. But I listen to what I like.

I think that qualifies me as a music head...........even though I use not 1 but 2 digital processors. God forbid, someone help me! :(

Edited by mark1101
  • Like 1

I can be as interested in equipment as in music... I go back and forth and have spent a lot on both. Over the last few years I bought more tubes than I could use in a life time. Over the last few months I thought about trying to kick my 10 album a month habit but then bought around 20 last month after winning a 100 bucks at Amazon.

It never ceases to amaze me that people poke dogs with a stick and expect them not to bark or bite. When the poking stops the barking stops... amazing.

Most of us are AC/DC, but more one than the other. I may look at the processors and such in a system in wonder, but when I listen and it is good how it got there isn't an issue.

I love it all, and I have a deep respect for all those who gather here. When I first came, it was, well, a bit less civil. On occasion I miss those time, but in general not so much.

Dave

Imagine what your speakers would sound like if the networks were built with electrolytics. I did this once just to see what it would sound like and it sounded pretty awful. Yet somehow, when you put these things in the signal path of equipment passing low level signals, amazing things happen.

I didn't understand the infomercial comment either. Why are vendors penalized and held in contempt? We do what we do because experience has led us down this path -- it's only natural that our opinions follow suit. It has nothing to do with marketing, and everything to do with just wanting to have the same privileges everyone else has, namely, being able to say whatever we want, and being part of the community. Craig and I were members here long before we started our businesses. At any rate, please try to remember that Klipsch has signed off on self-promotion but does not want to see solicitations. Some of you may not like this, but you're just going to have to try and get over it. Please.

I agree with Craig, especially having found myself on the end of both more times than I can recount -- there is no difference between a veiled or subtle insult and a direct attack. They both sting about the same.

Anyways, to bring a Behringer DCX2496 up to my standards - runs around $1500. This doesn't include the cost of the unit, and of course you need the extra NOS Valves tube amplifiers to go with it. : -)

Was Paul Klipsch "civil" when challenged? I think he might have lasted three posts on most forums. This forum reflects his personality in a most perfect way -- let the sparks fly.

Edited by DeanG

Nice post, Dean. However, to clarify PWK. Yes, there were a few times he would not suffer lightly the prattling's of fools. But in such cases as I was exposed to him, while utterly confident and straightforward, he could be construed as looking down his nose at one. I made some pretty dumb remarks in his presence and he should admirable restraint.

Gave me a BS, button too!

One can be totally honest and still be a gentleman. PWK was a gentleman IMHO.

Dave

• Like 2

With me if you want respect you have give it.... the few in this thread I have hammered asked for it time and again. I simply stated my opinion from my experience in this thread that started all this BS.....I have every right to share my opinion and respond in kind to the nastiness that was presented to me for sharing my opinion.

I feel no regret for a single word I posted in this thread. I have no idea how Paul Klipsch would have handled it but I think the BS button is a classic sign of how he would handle it.

You can still be a music head as opposed to an equipment head but enjoy different system architectures from one another.

Some people simply can't accept this point.

Edit: I listen to old Grateful Dead recordings and such............these leave a lot to be desired as far as souond quality goes. So what..........that's the music I like and it brings my system down for sure. It would anyone's. But I listen to what I like.

I think that qualifies me as a music head...........even though I use not 1 but 2 digital processors. God forbid, someone help me! :(

I gave up helping you when you had 3 sets of speaker firing at you from the same wall and telling me it was awesome ;)