My new DeanG networks…

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I purchased a set of networks to replace my Khorns orginal (but frankensteinianly modified) crossovers from Dean and I wanted to comment on them here.

For those with ADD, one word: AWESOME! You can now move on to the next topic :).

For those who want a better explanation, read on.

Caveat: I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the word. But I would consider myself an above average listener. What uniquely qualifies me to speak with any credibility on this subject is the fact that I had a pair of 1982 Lascalas set up on the very same system that I was running my 1972 Khorns. We all know that the Lascalas and Khorns share both the tweeter and mid drivers. Thus, I had an existing and immediate reference for the old networks, and something to compare the new networks to after I put them in…an available base line, if you will ;) .

Also, I am not employed or otherwise affiliated with Dean. I do not profit in any way from anything he sells on this site or anywhere else. I have never met him. These crossovers are the only thing I have ever purchased from him.

Basically, the difference was night and day. The midrange was clearer, crisper, and more pronounced but smoother and definitely not barking at me, as is the common complaint with Heritage Klipsch. The highs were also more crisp and clear, and seemed to have a sharper attack. My son was with me and while listening to the Khorns he said he couldn’t tell a difference, so I switched them off and immediately turned on the Lascalas. His eyebrow lifted and his mouth dropped open. The difference of switching from the Khorns back to the Lascalas with their original networks was the most amazing thing ever. We all know that Lascalas sound good in their own right, but after listening to the Khorns with their upgraded networks and then switching back to the Lascalas, well, it was quite literally like listening to a cheap pair of off-the-shelf speakers from BestBuy. They sounded muffled and congested – as if they had a towel hanging in front of them. Imagine that for a moment…Lascalas sounding muddled and flat – how can that be?

Really, it was that big of a difference! I’m not talking a slight improvement here, I’m talking a huge improvement – it was literally as if I had purchased a whole new speaker system that performed well beyond what I originally had. The upgraded networks are that good. My advice to anyone who is still running original networks in their Lascalas or Khorns is to immediately purchase a new set of these networks. It is the single most important upgrade you can do for you entire system. No bull.

I only had a couple hours on Tuesday to do the comparisons as I sold the Lascalas last night. I had them on CL for $1300 and sold them for $1500 – a bit of a bidding war. I paid $1000 for them 4 months ago and had custom glass cut to protect the tops. So not a bad turn. Anyway, it was enough time for me to realize I made a good move in getting the new networks from Dean.

Thanks Dean!

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Khorns sound like they are more efficient. I don't know if this is some sort of placebo affect or what. But at my listening position with the volume knob at its typical position I'm registering 105db peaks whereas before I don't remember them being above about 95-98db.

Auricap_AA.jpg

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 4

• Klipsch Employees

I purchased a set of networks to replace my Khorns orginal (but frankensteinianly modified) crossovers from Dean and I wanted to comment on them here.

For those with ADD, one word: AWESOME! You can now move on to the next topic :).

For those who want a better explanation, read on.

Caveat: I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the word. But I would consider myself an above average listener. What uniquely qualifies me to speak with any credibility on this subject is the fact that I had a pair of 1982 Lascalas set up on the very same system that I was running my 1972 Khorns. We all know that the Lascalas and Khorns share both the tweeter and mid drivers. Thus, I had an existing and immediate reference for the old networks, and something to compare the new networks to after I put them in…an available base line, if you will ;) .

Also, I am not employed or otherwise affiliated with Dean. I do not profit in any way from anything he sells on this site or anywhere else. I have never met him. These crossovers are the only thing I have ever purchased from him.

Basically, the difference was night and day. The midrange was clearer, crisper, and more pronounced but smoother and definitely not barking at me, as is the common complaint with Heritage Klipsch. The highs were also more crisp and clear, and seemed to have a sharper attack. My son was with me and while listening to the Khorns he said he couldn’t tell a difference, so I switched them off and immediately turned on the Lascalas. His eyebrow lifted and his mouth dropped open. The difference of switching from the Khorns back to the Lascalas with their original networks was the most amazing thing ever. We all know that Lascalas sound good in their own right, but after listening to the Khorns with their upgraded networks and then switching back to the Lascalas, well, it was quite literally like listening to a cheap pair of off-the-shelf speakers from BestBuy. They sounded muffled and congested – as if they had a towel hanging in front of them. Imagine that for a moment…Lascalas sounding muddled and flat – how can that be?

I wonder if the frequency response was changed........

Really, it was that big of a difference! I’m not talking a slight improvement here, I’m talking a huge improvement – it was literally as if I had purchased a whole new speaker system that performed well beyond what I originally had. The upgraded networks are that good. My advice to anyone who is still running original networks in their Lascalas or Khorns is to immediately purchase a new set of these networks. It is the single most important upgrade you can do for you entire system. No bull.

I only had a couple hours on Tuesday to do the comparisons as I sold the Lascalas last night. I had them on CL for $1300 and sold them for $1500 – a bit of a bidding war. I paid $1000 for them 4 months ago and had custom glass cut to protect the tops. So not a bad turn. Anyway, it was enough time for me to realize I made a good move in getting the new networks from Dean.

Thanks Dean!

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Khorns sound like they are more efficient. I don't know if this is some sort of placebo affect or what. But at my listening position with the volume knob at its typical position I'm registering 105db peaks whereas before I don't remember them being above about 95-98db.

Auricap_AA.jpg

I'm happy you're enjoying those Steve, you did good.

These are Type AAs, but were sent with 15 ohm Mills resistors in parallel with the K-55s, connected to Tap 3 on the autotransformer. IOWs, the midrange is 6dB down instead of 3dB down. The resistor is used to keep the crossover point from shifting. If he wants, he can remove the resistors, move the jumpers back to Tap 4, and hear the midrange in all its glory. The resistors have the added benefit of reducing aberrations in the response due to peaks in the impedance caused by rearward reflections from the mouth of the horn and pinging off the phase plug. What do you say Chief Bonehead, do I have that right?

Most of what people like about the ALK and SuperX is the reduced midrange attenuation, which incidentally, is also roughly 6dB down, and the slightly elevated response of the tweeter. Just about everyone stays at the 6dB down setting, which renders the other 17 settings useless, unless you move to one of the big horn/driver set ups. OTOH, you could actually go to one of those set ups, and with the simple addition of a coil and single capacitor change out -- be off and running again.

Anyways, the K-55s are 6dB down, and still he mentions how bright and clear the midrange is compared to the way it was (as well as to the LaScalas he had). He even mentions that he thinks efficiency has increased -- and he's 6dB down!

Somebody stop me before I jump on my lossy cap soapbox.

Edited by DeanG

I wonder if the frequency response was changed.

Changed from the original stock response? Yes, I think so, but by how much, I don't know.

Changed from what he had before he changed networks? For sure.

We need an expert. Are you going to take off that stupid mask?

Guest Steven1963

I'm happy you're enjoying those Steve, you did good.

These are Type AAs, but were sent with 15 ohm Mills resistors in parallel with the K-55s, connected to Tap 3 on the autotransformer. IOWs, the midrange is 6dB down instead of 3dB down. The resistor is used to keep the crossover point from shifting. If he wants, he can remove the resistors, move the jumpers back to Tap 4, and hear the midrange in all its glory. The resistors have the added benefit of reducing aberrations in the response due to peaks in the impedance caused by rearward reflections from the mouth of the horn and pinging off the phase plug. What do you say Chief Bonehead, do I have that right?

Most of what people like about the ALK and SuperX is the reduced midrange attenuation, which incidentally, is also roughly 6dB down, and the slightly elevated response of the tweeter. Just about everyone stays at the 6dB down setting, which renders the other 17 settings useless, unless you move to one of the big horn/driver set ups. OTOH, you could actually go to one of those set ups, and with the simple addition of a coil and single capacitor change out -- be off and running again.

Anyways, the K-55s are 6dB down, and still he mentions how bright and clear the midrange is compared to the way it was (as well as to the LaScalas he had). He even mentions that he thinks efficiency has increased -- and he's 6dB down!

Somebody stop me before I jump on my lossy cap soapbox.

They are glorious and even more. Very happy with them!

Michael, if you're insinuating that it's Speakerfritz, it's not. The writing style doesn't fit.

I think Chief Bonehead is an old friend of mine, and I think he's still mad at me, but that's not why he's here. He wants people to think, which is great -- but what he should be doing is teaching us.

• Like 1

As convinced as I am about the difference in soundquality these crossovers provide, one thing puzzles me...

We all buy interconnects and speakercables of high quality, connectors that do not corrode and even wall sockets and special plugs for main power.

All this to minimize the losses while our music-signal is travelling form the source to the end of the chain; our loudspeakers.

Why is it then, that a beautifull crossover like this is still equipped with the old-style terminal with so many connections the signal has to travel through?

I investigated this while upgrading my La Scala's with the bass-mod; the ALK's would not fit in the top section because of the bassports in the back, so I'd repositioned the connections.

After getting rid of the screw-type bar with connections and soldering the speakerleads directly to the crossover, I noticed that there was a small improvement in the highs [less harshness] and micro-details seemed more clear than before.

Wether that was imagination or not; when you count the number of "transitions" involved when you use the bar-with-screws-type connector [with spades on the speakerlead to begin with] OR connect the leads directly to the components of the crossover themselves, you could start to wonder if it was imagination or not.

One of the most striking comments I got when a technical engineer was visiting us to have a listen and said; " so you're into the high-efficiency thing that lets you hear every little detail..., what did you do to keep the complete signalpath short and clean? "

As always, I'm open for thoughs about this; over the last years I try to hang on to the " less is more" idea when it comes to stereo and I like it.

Nico