Honda ATC 70 Rebuild

Max2

Powder coater dropped by. Frame and fork look plastic dipped. Converted the forks to a tapered bearing, a $10 upgrade no less.

image-24.jpg

Rear bearings in, engine bolted up and top plate on forks. The rest of the parts will be coated by Friday. Its going to be a fun weekend

image-18.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. I really didn't want to mess with the old style. I would have had them everywhere on my shop floor and there is 21 individual balls for the top and 21 for the bottom. 

BTW, thanks!

Edited by Max2

Bidding on this one starts at $2K      Nice frame color

$_57.JPG

That color is "Candy Apple Red."  You may trust me on that one.  B)

The headlights would rattle apart, when you wreck the levers would snap (not bend) like pretzels.  Both levers were brakes, front was right, the back was the left lever.  The bike shown above has aftermarket plastic replacements, a good idea. 

The foot pegs would also bend, since they pivoted straight up and down, not backwards on a 45 degree angle, and those nice chrome fenders would bend and get scratched in a wreck.  The front forks had about 1 inch of travel, there is NO rear suspension, of course.  The handlebars would unscrew with those hard rubber knobs, and anytime you were thrown forward, your knee caps would SLAM into those stupid things.

Study that picture; guess what would happen if you slid forward off the seat and came DOWN into the gas tank.  Can you see which of your body parts would stop your forward progress, once it hit the gas cap?  Every Honda mini-trail ever made had the tank dented in the top front from little kids slamming into it with their male parts.

And if you ever need to know the size of the screw that holds on the heat shield for the front of the pipe, I can help you with that as the screw has burned an impression into my inside right calf with a scar that is there to this day (think, the Nazi with the burned medallion in his hand from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.)

Good times, good memories.  :rolleyes:

Our neighbor won one just like that from the Sunoco station as they were having raffles or contests or something like that back in the early 70's

Yes. I really didn't want to mess with the old style. I would have had them everywhere on my shop floor and there is 21 individual balls for the top and 21 for the bottom. 

Oh man, I had forgotten that!  What a PITB it was to put thick grease on the top and bottom, line up those stupid little ball bearings, then try to squeeze everything together!  The balls would squirt out, and then you had to start all over again!

Those were NOT good memories!  :wacko:

• Like 2

Got the rear seals and axle in. Brakes and drum, Handlebars and exhaust done.  Not much change, but should have a full roller after this weekend when more parts arrive. I cant believe how good of a job the powder man did on the muffler. It was heavily rust pitted, but he cleaned it up nicely and put a high temp powder coating on it.

7270ef67-dc15-46cf-a782-d4eb3ef78523.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

It really does look great, I love powder coat and it's perfect for things like this.

I didn't expect things to be going this fast with the rebuild, very nice.

I wanted a Honda 50 mini trail so bad I could taste it. My cousins had one and that made the problem even worse.

I was the same way about the 70, never did get one, I still like the way they look.  

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really have enjoyed putting this thing together and they're really simple and can be torn down and reassembled very quickly.  I will have all the parts to complete by tomorrow except the fenders and the seat. The word still out on the colors for those pieces, but Mama, AKA  "The Big Boss" will have the final say.  Im pretty set on white fenders and either a red or black factory seat.   The wheels and tires are going to look really trick on it. The front hub is cool too, its a solid billet piece.

• Like 1

We had the Honda three wheeler  in Greenland and almost ruined a lot of guys backs due to the bike flipping the front wheel over unto the drivers back. Because the rear was a solid axle it was 100 % positraction. When one of the rear wheels went up against a large rock to climb over the wheel would stop rotating and lock in the rock while the motor kept running causing the bike to flip over with the driver on his back before he knew what hit him. After a driver had one of these incidents he would no longer operate the bike. It was later burned in a bonfire.

JJK

I wanted a Honda 50 mini trail so bad I could taste it. My cousins had one and that made the problem even worse.

My cousins had a mini trail 70.  Cousin asked if we wanted a ride.  Well my brother was on the handle bars.  My cousin was driving and I was on the back.  We came to a fairly long straight that allowed you to take a jump, or go around  to the right.  Well we were moving at pretty good clip when we hit the jump.  Nobody fell off, no wreck,  and no way I would willing do that again.

Agreed, seriously nice work. Lovin' the updated wheels.  :emotion-22:

Just to echo some of the others' concerns however, better take out a collar-bone insurance policy for your boy.  :ph34r:

Speaking from experience here. I grew up out in the sticks (my Dad having owned a Tri-Moto at the time) and my cousins and neighbors that owned three-wheelers all bore some sort of weird scar or injury from getting bucked off of their ride at one point. VERY steep learning curve.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1