Do you remember your first 8 Track tape?

ssh

• Moderators

Don't remember my first one but do remember having boxes of those things, sold them for $3 each carrying boxes and all and was glad to get rid of them.

I do remember my first LP, Grand Funk it was a bright red/orange color on the cover, and a Chicago box set. I could only play it on my dads console, when he wasn't around.   

• Moderators

Now that I remember, Jensen triaxial replaced whatever came in the car, later replaced with a really great sounding speaker from ADS I think it was. Had egg shape metal base with just a bass and tweeter but sounded really good, especially compared to the Jensen 

• Like 2

Anyone remember their first pair of 6x9's in the decklid?  Holy Cow!

I think Jensen 6x9 Triaxials were pretty common back in the 70-80s, I know all my buddies had them.

You may be right as far as tri-axial vs co axials.  Things were a little "hazy" back then.

• Like 1

Lawrence Welk
:o  

lol

im not yet 40 so at the bodyshop there was an 8 track player growing up. Ole Lawrence was my first of only a handful...mom and dad had an addition put on the house with built in audio(ceiling speakers most of all then wiring ran to a built in cabinet) with wood paneling and shag carpet...It was pretty sweet...mic setup and all the good Disney records for us to sing along...

Gotta say with the 8 track setup they played records. I guess that's why an 8 track player ended up in the shop lol

• Moderators
Then in the mid 70's everyone wanted a Pioneer Supertuner for a head unit.

Yep had one then....and got a new one a few years ago to use out in the yard and new bar. I looked for the Supertuner  when I was looking for something for outside, I needed something that could stay outside(covered) where it may be damp without loosing much if it dies. Well it's been years now and it works great. It has headphone AUX input for a phone or computer plus USB input, CD am/fm. They now have pre outs, :o  so I connect it to a Crown D-75 and on to Heresy's. And you would be surprised at the sound, better than I thought it would be.

It's very handy, plug in the phone and get wireless Pandora, Spotify or what's in the phone even where the bar is outside.

I also remember having the soundtrack to Deliverance as one of my first few 8 tracks.

Dueling Banjo's sounded great on my two speaker system.....

(I did always wonder why they named that song Dueling Banjo's when there was only one banjo and one guitar)....

• Like 1

I put many 8-track decks in cars for friends, but I never owned one. The fidelity was terrible.

My preference was cassette decks.There weren't many to choose from in the late 60s - early 70s, and the few available were more expensive than the ubiquitous 8-track decks. Hitachi made one I installed in a Corvette, a Datsun 240Z and a Dodge van for a wheelchair bound Vietnam vet.

A Sony side-load cassette deck with Dolby and FM was the first deck I owned. The first tape was Eagles first album. The second tape was DSOTM.

Edited by DizRotus

My first (and only) 8-track was by a Miami band named Fantasy.  I don’t know if someone gave it to me or if I bought it. Around 1969-1970 they were popular in South Florida and even had a hit, “Stoned Cowboy.”  The lead singer Jamene Miller was awesome, with a powerful voice that was a lot like Janis Joplin -- yet Jamene was only about 16 at the time!  

post-54207-0-41360000-1409969261_thumb.j

Anyone remember their first pair of 6x9's in the decklid?  Holy Cow!

Wow, CECA, you really brought me back to 1971.

In college I had some money from a good paying summer job and bought a very used Volvo 1800s.  A buddy gave me a broken Panasonic 8-Track with FM cart which I repaired.  Then found some 6 x 9 s and put them in the back with some 3 inch housings in the front doors. 

8-tracks seemed embarrassing kludgy even at the time .  But it was all we had.

Let me point out that this was a watershed time for pop music.  WABC in New York was Top-40 which is to say the stuff on 45 rpm small disks and Cousin Bruce sometimes shouting.  The much, much more cool radio was the beginning of Album Oriented Rock on WNEW-FM.

And the incomparable Night Bird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIfXTZHjZZE

Smile.

WMcD

I had a super tuner III which by the way was a fine piece of engineering.

First album was BOSTON 1979, their self titled work. Also saw them in concert (my first one of those too) that same year (I was 16 year old)

That was also the first time I had ever caught the unusual scent of a doobie.

First time my ears rang all night too.

Lots of firsts that night!

• Like 1

OT but I am having my 2003 Silverado Super Sport re-painted and new leather interior installed. Searching tonight for a new tunes system since the factory 6 disc player bit the big one 7 years ago on the way to CigarBum's house to meet Winchester21 and Coytee.