Do you remember your first 8 Track tape?

ssh

• Moderators
another great 8 track was zz top "fandango."

Had it on Cd also until my brother in law's car radio died with in it and couldn't be removed.

Went to the ZZ top Fandango concert when they were promoting the album, Aerosmith also was there, they had come out with "Toys in the Attic lp and they were touring together. Cool outdoor show in city park stadium.

• Like 1

Definitely had a pioneer super tuner . When you went from Jensen coaxials to triaxials you were totally cool. Had a 40 watt power booster I bought at kmart. All in my 1974 Chevy station Wagon. That car saw every kind of action imaginable. The 70s were the best. And wasn't it foghat 'live'. Just saw the remnants of that band at a fest this summer. Total sadness.

Chrysler Corp. takes customers for a spin

56desoto.jpg
Under-dash phonograph in a 1956 DeSoto.

DETROIT – Back in the early 1950s there were many fewer music radio stations, and if you didn’t like those that were within range, your only choice was to shut the radio off and listen to the road, the engine noise and the splat of bugs on the windshield.

Then in 1956, Chrysler Corporation stepped up to offer car buyers a new listening option – an in-car phonograph.

The players, made by Columbia, were mounted on the bottom edge of the dash, directly above the transmission hump, and were wired directly into the car radio. Pressing a button on the front cover of the player opened it, allowing the turntable to be slid outward. Flipping a switch on the left side of the player bypassed the radio tuner, and the radio’s amplifier then could boost the signal from the player while volume, tone and balance could be controlled by the regular radio knobs.

• Like 3

Wow, CECA, you really brought me back to 1971.

Those were some good times.

I had a 1971 Toyota Celica with 6x9's in the deck lid.  We were blasting Pink Floyd's Animals cassette while we were camping while we were absolutely toasted.  My friend ran out in the woods thinking he had heard sheep while we were listening to "Sheep" on the deck.  We never let him live it down.

• Like 2

Chrysler Corp. takes customers for a spin

56desoto.jpg

Under-dash phonograph in a 1956 DeSoto.

DETROIT – Back in the early 1950s there were many fewer music radio stations, and if you didn’t like those that were within range, your only choice was to shut the radio off and listen to the road, the engine noise and the splat of bugs on the windshield.

Then in 1956, Chrysler Corporation stepped up to offer car buyers a new listening option – an in-car phonograph.

The players, made by Columbia, were mounted on the bottom edge of the dash, directly above the transmission hump, and were wired directly into the car radio. Pressing a button on the front cover of the player opened it, allowing the turntable to be slid outward. Flipping a switch on the left side of the player bypassed the radio tuner, and the radio’s amplifier then could boost the signal from the player while volume, tone and balance could be controlled by the regular radio knobs.

A friend of mine from HS, had a 45 player in his Chevy (don't remember the model... He was a gear head of sorts and I wasn't). The tone arm was mounted under the vinyl. If you hit too big a bump, the tone arm fell away from the record. This would have been in '66 or early '67 as we both managed to graduate in '67. It was so cool. I had my 8 track in my '69 VW Squareback right after I got the car.

Bruce

A friend's sister had a boyfriend with a brand new 1964 black Tri-Power 4-speed GTO. It had a 45 RPM player mounted under the dash. As Bruce said above, the records played upside-down. The tonearm was pressed against the underside of the record by a spring.

The boyfriend was generous (read foolish) enough to let my friend drive it while transporting a car load of friends. We rode around Grand Haven, MI playing Little GTO by Ronny & The Daytonas at full volume over and over. We wanted to make sure girls knew it was a record, and not the radio, which included reverb.

Edited by DizRotus