Forget a Harmony remote....Galaxy S5 is the Answer!

philly0116

I recently purchased a Galaxy S5 phone and I must say I am very impressed. It has a load of features but so far one of my favorites is its ability to control my LG TV, B&k Preamp and Comcast cable boxes all over the house. Its easily the most useful phone I've ever had. Add to all that the fact its waterproof and you've got yourself a winner. 

• Like 1

That's pretty cool. I know the Galaxy S5 is an incredible phone, and if I had an AVR that I could use it with, that would be a great use for sure!  I was going to get one (my son has an S5), but decided on an iPhone 5S so I could buy my FLIR-ONE. The iPhone 5 and 5S are the only phones it works with. 

I apologize for hijacking your thread. I have been meaning to post some pics from my FLIR-ONE...

Here are a couple of pictures I took with my FLIRONE:

Klipsch ProAudio 5.1 subwoofer under my desk:

IMG_0034.jpg

The side of my upright freezer taken in a pitch black room

IMG_0026.jpg

My two labs walking on the deck at night. You could not see them at all!

IMG_0023.jpg

Cause I want to be able to see in the dark.  :)

It's also handy for finding hot spots under car hoods, insulation problems at home and shop, and other basic troubleshooting. 

What I really want is financially out of reach right now. I want a thermal rifle scope. I would love a gen3 for varmint and coyote sniping.

• Like 1

I think that is why Logitech decided to scrap the Harmony remote program.

Good to know about the Galaxy S5.  I am debating between it and the HTC One M8.

Bill

I looked hard at the HTC One M8. What really won me over on Samsung was the whole waterproof thing and also the ability to change out my own battery. My last phone, the HTC One X battery malfunctioned after the warranty period and it cost about $100 to have it replaced. I'm not a fan of phones I cant change out the battery on. I no longer have to worry about spilling water on my phone or any water related incidents, well, within reason. The S3 is rated to 3ft deep for 30 min. 

Edited by philly0116

• Moderators
insulation problems at home and shop

I noticed there were companies who check houses with FLIR to advise homeowners what to fix, it's not cheap to have it done. Have you found any problems at home trying that, very cool way to spot problems.

A few months ago I was waiting to visit someone in the hospital in the waiting room. I was the only one there and quite frankly I didn't want to touch the remote (wherever it was). Pulled up the app on my S4 and programmed it for the TV brand.

hmmmm......I could really have a lot of fun at one of the local sports bars :P

I love mt S5. Now I am going to have to mess around with it before I open up my new Harmony Ultimate. If I can save $300 using my S5, I might just do that. 

The app that comes on it is called "smart remote". You can program several devices per room. 

For those interested, I went with a Spigen Tough Armor case from Amazon. Its light, very well made, and NOT bulky at all but does provide great protection. As a screen protector I went with Tech Armor Anti finger print and glare, easy to apply with no liquid involved and it just about eliminates glares from lights, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Case-Spigen-Tough-Armor/dp/B00I3UWDV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410212679&sr=8-1&keywords=SPIGEN+GALAXY+S5

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Armor-Anti-Glare-Anti-Fingerprint-Protectors/dp/B00IGISQUO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410213202&sr=8-3&keywords=GALAXY+S5+tech+armor