Roy Delgado discusses the patented "Mumps" technology

TasDom

Sounds like to me the mumps are for "pushing" the horn to its cutoff more gracefully.  if you are not near the horns limits with your crossover points.......you probably don't need mumps.

Cool video and explanation.  It's like the guy "sees" the sound and obviously thinks about it differently than us less gifted engineer types.

I've found that Roy is disarmingly concise when he talks about horn and loudspeaker design.  By this I mean that he says a lot without actually saying much of anything.  He's also a hoot in person, too, with a dry sense of humor and a touch of sarcasm. 

As far as what he's saying in this video, I'd point out the attention he pays to directivity vs. frequency and in other related conversations, performance aspects such as distortion.  He can talk about cone and dome drivers, active and passive crossovers, acoustics, manufacturing issues, then switch gears to talk horns and compression drivers without skipping a beat. 

Since he's not really focused on the typical hype of consumer loudspeakers, i.e., he works in the commercial marketplace, so he usually cuts through all the BS, instead zooming into the areas that actually make a difference in sound, some of which are amazingly low cost--such as the use of modeler's clay inside the horn that he talked about in the video.  This is actually fairly entertaining .  Also, he puts all the physics and engineering into perspective in terms of "what does it sound like?"--again, no BS.  This is the most refreshing thing that I found about talking with him.  He clearly understands his domain as an expert.

One other thing that I noticed about Roy is that he clearly regards his association with PWK and the memory of him highly, even those subjects whose answers might have changed over time with the introduction of new technologies and products.  He never spoke ill of him, or in a dismissive manner on any of PWK's contributions, or allowed others to do the same.  That spoke volumes to me.

• Moderators
JBL's version is slightly more elegant... or at least slightly more organic

I don't know, to me maby more organic, as in a turd, don't like the look, I think the vacuum broke when they were molding the plastic and it didn't pull it in all the way. :D

• Moderators
One other thing that I noticed about Roy is that he clearly regards his association with PWK and the memory of him highly, even those subjects whose answers might have changed over time with the introduction of new technologies and products. He never spoke ill of him, or in a dismissive manner on any of PWK's contributions, or allowed others to do the same. That spoke volumes to me.

There was great respect, just listening to him talk and tell stories it was obvious the respect he had for PWK, it was also obvious they were friends. 

When talking with people he has great patience trying to explain complex problems and solutions to people who have not spent a lifetime studying it so they can understand at least the general idea. I would think that's a little aggravating at times.