50 Best cities to live

mustang guy

This is a statistics driven spreadsheet. At the bottom of the spreadsheet are macro buttons to sort by topic. Topics are Overall, By State, Economy, Crime, Education, Housing, Environment, Leisure, and Infrastructure.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/09/17/americas-50-best-cities-to-live/13/

Unfortunately, West Virginia doesn't have a single city in this list. Nevertheless, it is an interesting table if you are a statistics kind of person like I am.

• Moderators

Well my present state is not there either, but they had no listing for backwoods people who don't want to be found, we could have taken that one !  :o Or the percentage of 4 wheelers and guns per people between age 5 and 50.

Edited by dtel

Ah, yeah... 

Waukesha, Kenosha, and Madison? What are they, nuts?!  :unsure:

For starters, Waukesha is a great place to work, not live. Good industry there, but everyone commutes from either Pewaukee, Franklin, or Brookfield.

Kenosha is not technically Wisconsin. It is a satellite suburb of Chicago. Almost everyone that lives there is a recent transplant from Illinois and commutes from there to work.

...And then there's Madison. Great place?? :blink: It's a zoo...straight up. Too many people, from too places, all trying to do whatever the hell they want, at any given hour.

The algorithm for the spreadsheet was written by a clown. Ask any bona fide cheesehead where the best places to live in Wisconsin are and the answers will be much different. More like Hayward, Eau Clair, La Crosse (when it's not flooded), Wausau, Ashland, Kohler, Cedarburg, anywhere in Door County (if you're filthy rich), and maybe Appleton if you're into suburban sprawl.

• Like 2

Ah, yeah... 

Waukesha, Kenosha, and Madison? What are they, nuts?!  :unsure:

For starters, Waukesha is a great place to work, not live. 

Agreed.  I lived in Waukesha and a few of the other towns on that list.  I'd pick Whitefish Bay or Brookfield over Waukesha in a heartbeat.  

Newton, MA???, great town if you like to live in a congested, grid-locked community.  It's got a subway line running thru it which does have some advantages but overall it's far from my first choice in the greater Boston area.  In fact, the greater Boston location is pretty hard, hostile even, to young families and couples just starting out.  A crappy, 1960s, Cape Cod style house located in a "decent" school district is about $400K.  Now if you want a top school district that sends the top 20% of HS grads to excellent colleges, expect to pay about $600K.  The two car garage will be extra.

Overall Boston sucks, looking to flush the place on retirement!

i work in one and have lived close to three of the top six on that list.  none of them would have cracked my top 100.

Not sure why Oakland didn’t make it … high crime  and houses there.  The local economy must be good because the locals keep taking all the money of the visitors that are wandering around.  Good for the environment too--keep the lights low at night (so people don’t have to see what is really out there).

Edited by BigStewMan

Wow.  What an awful list!  The only ID town, Meridian, is a very congested shopping and minor medical Boise suburb of no redeeming value or scenic interest.  Boise would have made much more sense.

I suppose Alexandria, VA has some presumed historical, snootiness, and Washington political visibility value, but I'd never go, let alone live, there.

Some mags like Men's Journal seem to compete among each other, and themselves in successive issues, with these lists of 50 best places to live that just aren't by any reasonable measure.  One once listed Driggs, ID, the super-dinky clutter capital of SE ID.

Edited by LarryC

Terrible list. For Michigan, they included Sterling Heights, Westland, and Troy, but they didn't even mention Ann Arbor.

Westland is a sh** hole, crime everywhere, a mix of income levels, lots of strip malls and fast food, but not much else useful. Troy and Sterling Heights are nothing special, and the traffic in the area is terrible, on and off the freeway.

Ann Arbor has the best local economy in the state, it's the most technologically advanced city in the US, great hospital system, very low crime, lots of fun places to see and hang out, cultural diversity, Earth-friendly, excellent public transportation, etc.

These people have no clue.

• Like 1

Live in a city? Uh, tried that a couple of times . . . would not work for the volume at which I crank my Klipsch speakers.

I can see two other houses from my own . . . even that feels way too congested to me!

God bless those who love city dwelling, though. There are some great cities in that list of 50.

• Like 1