Suggestions on how to remove coconut oil from glass

tube fanatic

Yesterday I had a little time for experimentation with a few things and I "think" I found something which works.  Equal parts white vinegar, ammonia, isopropyl alcohol, and water mixed in the same sprayer seemed to get the oil off (individually it didn't seem to work so there must be some kind of synergy when they are combined).  But, I now have to wait for a bright, sunny day to find out for sure.  The Bon Ami looks like a good bet for the exterior, but inside is a different matter. 

Maynard

• Like 1

I think that you're going to have to use a hydrocarbon solvent to remove a hydrocarbon. That said, I've found that Goop and similar hand cleaners work well in situations like this one. (Don't use the kind with pumice.) Make certain that the glass is perfectly dry when you apply the Goop, and rinse it off after 15 minutes or so, with lots of water and a little elbow grease. Afterward, you might have to remove the Goop residue, but that should be handled with mild detergent or even Windex.

Next time, use canola oil on her feet, not coconut.....

Well....... (if I had Marty's capabilities, I would have concocted a really good story about how the coconut got on the windshield.  Perhaps he can try it with the twins and issue a report!!!  :D). Actually, it is an amazing skin moisturizer.  During winter, with all the shop work, my hands are usually destroyed.  The coconut really makes a big difference (far better than Lubriderm or other petroleum types).  Years ago, the local Agway (long out of business) used to sell a terrific teat dip which we all found very effective for hands.  I think the coconut is much better.  If you try some, get the unrefined type as it seems to be more effective than the refined.

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic

• 4 years later...

Found this via a Google search. Apparently my coconut oil turned upside down and leaked on my paper towels. 

First, Windex and clean paper towels wouldn't touch it. Somebody mentioned WD40. I didn't have any so I tried PB Blaster. That made it worse. 

Then I went into the truck stop and bought some Dawn and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol only smeared it. The Dawn seemed to help, but hard to rinse off. Better, but still kinda opaque. 

Then I had an inspiration, how about a squeegee. I soaked it down with foaming Windex, and wiped it with my squeegee. Wipe squeegee with paper towel after each pass. That worked. 

I inadvertently got coconut oil on my car windows (don't even ask how it happened- I'm too embarrassed to go into it!!! default_wacko.png).  So far, I haven't found anything that will get it off.  Have tried vinegar, dishwashing soap, car wash soap, wiping with cloth/paper towels/newspaper, citrus cleaner and so on.  The oil just smears and streaks even more.  I'd like to avoid using any hydrocarbon solvents if at all possible, so any suggestions will be appreciated!

Maynard

I usually use my wife. Does very good work, but she ain't cheap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2014 at 8:23 AM, tube fanatic said:

The Bon Ami looks like a good bet for the exterior, but inside is a different matter. 

Maynard

Isn't BonAmi still an abrasive? I wouldn't touch glass with it, especially on an automobile.

Denatured alcohol is what I use to take the maple syrup off the glass of our car if I don't wash it twice a week in the fall. Wax X 2 yearly keep it off of the paint job.

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Isn't BonAmi still an abrasive? I wouldn't touch glass with it, especially on an automobile.

Denatured alcohol is what I use to take the maple syrup off the glass of our car if I don't wash it twice a week in the fall. Wax X 2 yearly keep it off of the paint job.

Bonus Ami works great on automotive glass.  I've used it dozens of times.  It cleans but doesnt scratch.