Hoping someone can help with Cornwall decision...

sb001

If I'm reading your underlying concern right, I think you were asking if perhaps someone might have "re-engineered" this pair by remounting the internal parts and whether that would affect performance. Did that question get answered? I'd want to know that too. If I'm not reading your post correctly, then please disregard.

If I'm reading your underlying concern right, I think you were asking if perhaps someone might have "re-engineered" this pair by remounting the internal parts and whether that would affect performance. Did that question get answered? I'd want to know that too. If I'm not reading your post correctly, then please disregard.

My real question was simply whether these were Cornwalls or Cornwall 2s, since they had the flush mounted drivers and recessed cup terminals (Cornwall 2s) but I seemed to remember their tag saying Cornwall.

I think I simply missed the "2" designation on the tag. But am heading back shortly to look at them again.

OK guys- I went back to the shop today, owner was very kind and let me snap a few photos of these speakers.

What I have discovered is that these must indeed be Cornwall 2's, BUT they used the original "Cornwall" tags on the back. You can see the "C-II" designation handwritten in the model line, but the tags say simply "Cornwall." Interesting. (At least I proved to myself that I wasn't crazy!)

Serial #s are consecutive 8615721 and 8615722, making them 1986 model speakers I guess.

My theory is that maybe the Klipsch factory used remaining stock of original Cornwall cabinets to make the early Cornwall IIs ?? That would explain the original tags, and may also explain why the back panels on these appear to have been sunk in and glued, and are the same blonde color finish, whereas other later Cornwall IIs have a black finish back panel.

Please take a look at photos I have posted and see what you think. Thanks!

post-59017-0-97520000-1412191550_thumb.jpost-59017-0-22080000-1412191573_thumb.jpost-59017-0-10440000-1412191792_thumb.jpost-59017-0-14200000-1412191827_thumb.jpost-59017-0-22680000-1412191852_thumb.j

Those look like Cornwall IIs.  The wood looks to be veneered mdf(I think) and of course the front mounted drivers, round terminal cup(Cornwall II) and of course the label with "CII-BR".

Either way, if the price is right to you, you have may have yourself a fine pair of speakers.

Bill

Looks like some staining on the cane grills?  My personal opinion is that they are hurt a bit by that but not too much.   If I were in the market to buy I'd be shooting lower just because I can't help myself but to modify... new crossovers, Fastrac horns, etc...  

Sometimes you have to jump on the deal in front of you (if it is fair).  

Naah I'm not buying them if they aren't worth any more than any other set of CII's- no room in my house for them, plus they aren't worth as much as the original Cornwalls. Shop owner did say he'd come down $200, making the price $700-- but I would have to pay tax on top of that which amount to another $60.

Fair deal, but there are other speakers I like better. If however I knew I could resell them for $1100-$1200 I would probably do that.

Definitely Cornwall  II's. The updated tweeter is the dead giveaway when all you have is a front photo. Motorboard on C II's was also miter cut I believe, hence the flush mounted mid, tweet and woofer. 

Naah I'm not buying them if they aren't worth any more than any other set of CII's- no room in my house for them, plus they aren't worth as much as the original Cornwalls. Shop owner did say he'd come down $200, making the price $700-- but I would have to pay tax on top of that which amount to another $60.

Fair deal, but there are other speakers I like better. If however I knew I could resell them for $1100-$1200 I would probably do that.

Ok, since you decided against buying them....where r they?

What's in it for me? 

The knowledge of this forum that has already been freely given.

Since there are other speakers he likes better, maybe if he could have flipped them for the $1,100 or $1,200 he planned to give everyone that helped him out here a commission?

$1200 ain't walking through that door for these. Ironically, that should be readily apparent by the "knowledge of this forum given freely." Everything mentioned (corners suspect with the protectors, stained cane grilles, etc) degrades the value more and more. Only one pair went for $1200 on ebay anytime recently, and those were in perfect mint condition with the original boxes. So unless there is something the forum is NOT sharing--i.e. early Cornwall IIs, with the original Cornwall tags and the blonde wood finish backing instead of the more common black finish, are worth a lot more than other Cornwall IIs-- they are going to have to be passed on.