Getting a bit of ribbing at work...

Mighty Favog

...and from people that don't know any better.

I just bought a Tivoli Model One (cherry/ cobalt blue) for my office at work and there are actually people there that are teasing me about it when they own Bose Waves. No, they don't have to hear it where they are.

The Model One needed a little work but that didn't take me over 15-minutes to do. Re-aligned the tuner and cleaned the noisy dial pots. Then gave the cabinet a good drink of Old English.

Hmmmm.....$500 vs. $75 (craigslist)

Question is, is it really work my time?.....

post-3464-0-94520000-1412168170_thumb.jp

Edited by Mighty Favog

When people ask what I think about Bose, I tell them.

When they brag about the Bose system they have, I just let them.  After all why should I put down what they like.  If they are Happy, that's the most important any of us can hope for.

That said, My home is a Bose Free Zone. 

• Like 2

A Model One is a great source of background music/talk radio. Nothing I would do critical listening with but for its size it does have a surprising amount of bass. The volume control has a bit of a gain curve that's a little fast for me, but I can cope with it.

One of the stations I listen to is in the AM band and to save money they reduce their power at night. The unit I have at home has a bit of trouble picking them up because it's on the top shelf of a baker's rack surrounded by wrought iron in the kitchen. But when they power up in the morning they almost bleed over. And they're not the strongest station in town. The strongest is 700 WLW (interesting story about the Crosley brothers that founded the station).

No remote (not always a bad thing), quite compact, no digital tuning so you can search for that station in between digits and has a power cord plenty long enough.

This one I just bought is a little older than the one I have at home in my kitchen (ceiling speakers idea did not pass WAF :(  ). The difference being that this older one does not have an auxiliary input. But the condition of this one is superb.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Bose marketing is psychologically sophisticated.  People want to believe they are capturing quality product at modest prices and take boastful pride in their Bose choices.  The scope and depth of Bose product exposure, placement and advertising is the stuff of Madison Avenue fairy tales.  Another key to their success is that so much of todays listening is casual, not formal.  Joggers do not require upscale equipment....... they'd accept elevator speakers on their ears and be happy enough.  There are worse choices than Bose........ and Bose has them convinced that Bose is the best available.

When I do come across a Bose fan and simply ask them to tell me about the frequency response of their system.  Of course they don't know and then ask.  They do get suspicious when they learn that their wonderful Bose product does not include the most basic audio performance data for their hi tech devices.

to some, it may be the best they've heard.

to some, it may be good enough. I'll use myself as an example. I recently wanted a nice car. I bought a BMW 528...not the best car available and the guy in the Bentley may look down on me; but, it's still a luxury car and i'm happy with it. Perhaps some view music gear the same way. My ex would have been completely happy listening to music from the clock-radio (but she let me buy Klipsch and then more Klipsch).

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1