Bad Idea?

wldrns1

Pic shows excess Monster Cable which I'm currently using. It's quite old but as you can see, not oxidized. There are 2 bundles, L & R. Hated to cut it to two equal pieces based on longest run which is about 35 feet. I would still have to store 25' of L side which is only a 10' run. Planning to replace it with Supra Classic 1.6 (70' cut in half). 

The black box is a sub for PC speakers I use for the TV.

Any reason excess cable shouldn't be kept tidy this way? If what's shown is a no-no, why?

post-58829-0-46240000-1412206944_thumb.j

most so called audiophile sites mags etc... will state it is best to keep cables of equal length, they also dont advocate rolling them up as pictured. Most systems will not be up to the resolution of showing an audible difference with different length cables as long as they are within a few feet of one another

I would have no problem with rolling up to keep yidy, I have done it for years with no issues, I also would have no issue running different length cables within 10 feet of each other

If I remember correctly you don't want to coil your cable, it turns into an inductor with a magnetic field? I think you'd be better to cut your cables to length. Go easy on me if im incorrect, its been a long time...

I wondered about some kind of adverse 'Sonic Quality' or other electrical condition. Won't be storing the Supra this way once it's installed just to be sure.

maybe it is just me?  I am OCD with my cables and connects.  I want them clean, straight and tidy.  That mess would drive me absolutely bonkers, even if it was hidden. again, just me... :wacko:  

Cut them to length!   IMO...

Ha! You should have seen the jumbled mess before! Again, will eliminate once replaced.

Is that a baseboard heater? How warm does it get that close to the heater? You might want to pull your wiring away from it slightly.

Just a thought.

Yes it is. Pulled away a few inches so no bad dreams. 

No reason to keep the cables equal length.   Cut them to length and let autocalibration adjust the delays.

Autocalibration? Is that's something an amp does does? Using a Scott 299 Gen2 just refurbed by Craig/NOS (great).

Edited by wldrns1
  • Like 1

The point I was making is the cable length is insignificant and won't affect the sound in most cases.  Autocalibration is not an option with that amp but, no problem with a two channel system.  Just set speakers equal distance from the MLP.

Hey derrickdj1, what's a MLP?

Everyone is right. :)

The pros say don't coil the wire up neatly because it COULD cause a problem.  But since you have it like that and it DOESN"T cause a problem..........well, then it's OK.  You probably need a much longer length before you would notice any issues.

But I will echo what one poster mentions about the baseboard heaters.  If the wire gets too hot and melts together (a short), you will short out your amp..........and then your pretty little anal retentive monster coils will matter even less. :D

The point I was making is the cable length is insignificant and won't affect the sound in most cases.  Autocalibration is not an option with that amp but, no problem with a two channel system.  Just set speakers equal distance from the MLP.

Main listening point. :)

Main listening position?

OK. If there was a sonic problem with the wrap, most would have pointed that out. I've moved them from the heat and plan to change out later. Maybe they'll live another day...they're 15 years old! Thanks to all.

Edited by wldrns1
  • Like 1