Modifications and the original (Klipsch) equipment

JiminSTL

Question from a non-techie (but, techie wannabe):  if there are "mods" made to any particular (Klipsch) speaker -- Crites diaphragms, for instance)-- what does it take for the speaker to no longer be considered "Klipsch"?  I read about people who purchase various speakers, and then modify them a lot to "improve" them, and I wonder if they still produce even close to the original sound.

Is there any more or less objective standard or sliding scale when the speaker is no longer considered to have the original sound and quality?

Thanks for your answers.

• Like 1

As one who has had a medium amount of experience with modding some of the Heritage models, I really don't think that there's any kind of sliding scale of "quality" or value or worth, based on what those mods might happen to be.  Some folks make changes such as updating crossovers, diaphragms, wiring, and I think can legitimately call the results at least "true to the originals".....Others make changes that are not even close to what was intended for that model, and hopefully they enjoy them, and then if selling, will disclose what's been done.  Obviously what you think is better or worse is very subjective, but then you would have had to have had a baseline to compare that too....Just for an example, I am currently taking a pair of empty Cornwall I cabinets that I got from a friend, installing a K-76 titanium diaphragm tweeter, Chorus K-61 driver and mid horn, and a huge Kenwood woofer, with appropriate crossovers.  I'll be putting in some additional insulation within the cablinet, reinforcing all of the interior joints, and adding some gasket material around the back panel.  Is it a Cornwall?  No.  Will it sound fantastic?  i hope so, but don't know yet (it should).  What's it worth?  Who cares.....

• Like 3

Klipsch made some of the most efficient and best-sounding speakers of it's time but that technology is long gone. you never can compare Atlas PD5VH with new driver like BMS and B&C, Radian, ...

horns used in Klipsch Heritage speakers were exponential with a very dynamic sound but the honkiness is also a fatiguing factor here. new Tractrix horns are far better in term of accuracy and lower distortion and more controlled dispersion pattern.

all these don't decrease the value of which Klipsch has done all these years. Klipschorn and La Scala are still genius designs even with today's standards. take a look at Volti Audio Vittora speaker which is inspired by La Scala. whatever they say, it's bassbin is absolutely a renew of the original LS.

• Like 1

A lot of people put different engines in fords and Chevrolets......do you still call a Camaro a Camaro if a different engine is in it ? It only matters if your trying to sell it as a Klipsch model and do not inform buyer you had done mods to it. As far as Crites mods such as tweeter it still fits in the space looks like the old one. Also Klipsch did offer upgrades over the years them selves and made the upgrades available to the owners. Rick

• Like 1

At some point  I'd say it is Klipsch inspired.  I tend to still call it Klipsch as long as the cabinet still exists.  As long as it still sounds good to me I don't really care what others call it

Over the last two years, the ONLY thing Klipsch in my current system is the K-400 Horns.

During the last two years, starting out with La Scallas, then buying more, stacking them, nope, still did not find "My Sound", Till i started over.

Current system is an EAW Bulid, when completed, the wife said it was missing the "Horn Sound", giving up one of my upper 8" Mid drivers to replace it with the K-400 horns and got my horn sound back, then going "Active Bi-Amped" dialed in the system.

Klipsch inspired, yeah i could say that. 

post-57941-0-51220000-1413292477_thumb.j

Edited by minermark

you never can compare Atlas PD5VH with new driver like BMS and B&C, Radian, ...

BS

they CAN be compared and have been. See ALK engineering website.

And yeah my Klipschorns aren't "Klipsch unmodified/unadulterated" anymore----they're better. Well at least to my ears.

ten responses and I don't think that Jim in St. Louie gives a rats bottom. Wonder why he cared to even ask? What does it matter? On a more or less objective standard or sliding scale I don't think Jim has a real question. Best regards Moray James.

Huh?  Not sure of the (constructive) purpose behind that comment, or why you bothered to make it.

The question I asked remains for any who have experience/thoughts:  if a speaker--specific brand, model #, specs, and expected sound and range--receives a single or a variety of modifications--when or what generally accepted guidelines exist to judge whether it still is that speaker or not?  May still carry the name badge, maybe a paper sticker on the back, but . . . .

Moray, if you are not inclined to answer or respect a legitimate question and topic, fine.  Your choice.  No need to respond, either.

Best,

JiminSTL

it got you back in the discussion. I expect that you already know the answer to your own question. If you change any part of the speaker to a non stock item then you had best advise potential buyers of that change so that they can decide for themselves. Every buyer will have his/her own personal set of standards and make their own decision of what they will or will not accept. If it is for your own use and you are happy with the substitution that you have made for what ever the reason you made it then what difference does it make? I am not sure of the constructive purpose of the question in the first place. Seems a rather odd question to me. You say that you are a techie wannbe so what is it you want to modify? What kind of modifications interest you and why? If you are worried about what people are going to think and or say then perhaps you need to consider a different hobby (if you plan to share your exploits on line with the world). There will always be people who will call you out for messing with something so what. Sometimes you may have an idea that you want to pass by others for help to get an idea if it could actually float and you are going to get people who say yes and those who will say no. You discuss the pros and cons and then you decide to try the idea or not but you decide. I like doing modifications and I like to encourage others to do the same. It is or it can be a very creative process. I like to keep thing simple and I mostly work on reducing mechanical and or acoustical distortion(s) in loudspeakers as that is simple to do and it yields substantial results for not a lot of cost in materials or time.

Jim don't get excited I only rattled your cage a little and I don't bite or have a stick to poke you with. If you wannabe a techie then stop with the sliding scale business of "is it stock or not" because what does it matter? Your call. I would be most open to discussing ideas foe mods with you and others who are interested. Do you have anything in mind? No need to respond, either. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

I said "BS" because these things are relative. You can see from the picture that my setup is pretty tight. Seriously, I sit 7 feet back and listen with a quarter watt or less - what do I really gain by going to large format drivers. Now don't get me wrong, I like to lean on the volume every now and again, and if I had a large room and sat 20 feet back, I would probably be in trouble -- but in the present situation, it sounds just fine. I figured out how to get rid of the harshness over a decade ago, and you don't need a new horn to get it done. The dual phase plug K-55s are solid from 400 to 6000, and sound great. They also accommodate low order filters, which have low part counts. With only a half dozen or less capacitors to deal with, you can now afford to invest in the ones that actually sound good. If you have a really big room, and/or like to listen at concert levels quite a bit, then sure, the BMS or some of the other drivers are great choices.

post-1106-0-30560000-1413527024_thumb.jp

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1