Lockheed Fusion

WMcD

The news of Lockheed's fusion reactor seems to have been presented as a scientific breakthrough; and they are inviting investors and partners.  I see it as a watershed in the history of humanity.

The environmental implications are enormous of course.

It seems to me the political and social implications of cheap, clean energy are even greater.  Oil, natural gas, solar, tidal, geothermal, and wind might well become worthless.  Of course only the first two have been implicated in wars.

The world in 20 years will be very different when this reaches fruition.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

IVE BEEN INTERESTED IN FUSION REACTORS FOR ALONG TIME,,, ALOT OF DEADEND DESIGNS,,,, TOKAMAK WAS THE LAST THAT LOOKED INTERESTING,,,LOCKEED HAS SOME GOOD ENGINEERS,,,HOPE THIS IS NOT A FLASH IN THE OVEN,,..DEADEND

Edited by ZAKO

The heat it puts out is so crazy hot, it makes me think we will also have those instant vaporizer guns like on Start Trek,  

Its Carnot efficiency will be very close to 100%: when the difference between its high temp and low temp is something approaching 100 million degrees C, you might begin to understand why.

And charged particles are not limited by maximum Carnot efficiency--if there are any of those circulating in this device--and they're probably not since this thing isn't a Tokamak but rather a variation on a static fusion bottle.

I wonder what "breakthrough" was really achieved? EDIT: It looks as if they're using quadrupole containment magnets to focus and squeeze the plasma.  It's a real trick to seal the ends of the bottle, though.

Edited by Chris A

All of the big players have their own "Skunk Works" and have had them for years, at our expense of course. I know, i lived it.

I don't know about you, but if this works it will be by far the best money we ever spent.  Goodbye to co2 emissions, the internal combustion engine, electric bills of significance, world poverty unless by choice, and more things than I can think of at the moment.

Hello, solar system at will.

Dave

• Like 1

All of the big players have their own "Skunk Works" and have had them for years, at our expense of course. I know, i lived it.

I don't know about you, but if this works it will be by far the best money we ever spent.  Goodbye to co2 emissions, the internal combustion engine, electric bills of significance, world poverty unless by choice, and more things than I can think of at the moment.

Dave

It would be nice to think that is what everyone is up to, but that is not the case, weapon development/refining is where the money is at.

Lived it from day one, the stuff they are into is well into the 22ed century.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter what they are up to.  If this is for real...and in spite of my skeptical side the source suggest it is...what I said will come to pass and do so limited only by our ability to construct it. 

Certainly a small fusion plant on a large ship offers basically unlimited power for weapons systems.  Even more effective if small enough to be airborne and we already have directed energy weapons thanks to the Airborne Chemical Laser project of the last 20 years that really only need such power to render weapons requiring physical delivery completely obsolete.

Most weaponization I can think of from unlimited, small power sources are like that...if there is a downside it's that they make war thinkable.

As for me, I am willing to take that risk for a shot at a solar system cruise before I die.  It COULD happen.  We have everything but a power source already. 

Dave

Dave

Let's keep our fingers crossed.  Just watched Zero dark thirty a few nights ago.  If this is for real, we can also care as much about the middle east as we care about South Africa and Central America. 

The analyst's haven't a clue.  I think everyone is skeptical.  You and I have discussed this elsewhere and there appear to be a lot of reasons to question the method of this announcement. 

I remain somewhat fixed on the "fits in a 23X43 container" statement made concerning a device that, supposedly, has yet to be built. 

Skunk works has perhaps the greatest credibility of any R&D establishment in this country.  Frankly, I can't recall any previous Skunk Works product that was announced by them.  Not the U2, SR-71, B1, 117, "Big Black Delta," whatever.

It's a bit odd.  My gut reaction is that they have actually built the device, but have some reason to want to provide a "cushion" for the planetary economic paradigm shift that will come from it's introduction. 

Pure speculation...and open to other ideas other than "poppycock."  There is SOMETHING going on out there.

Dave