Help with home network

tigerwoodKhorns

There is really no reason to get a hub... used to be you could save a buck if you didn't mind the loss of bandwidth.  Not really a reason anymore.  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSafe-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop/dp/B0000BVYT3

If you already have a hub you could use it in one of your remote locations to connect a couple of devices off of one run back to your switch or router.

With Netflix, various streaming, online backups, multiple users in the house... you'd be surprised how much you can have going on your network.

There is really no reason to get a hub... used to be you could save a buck if you didn't mind the loss of bandwidth.  Not really a reason anymore.  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSafe-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop/dp/B0000BVYT3

You're right, the prices have dropped since the Olden Days, I'm just out of touch with things since I'm not in that biz anymore.  But did you see the price on the switch you linked to?  Apparently, it retails for $35, but if you order it from Amazon, the price drops to an amazing $34.99:blink:

You can't save a buck, but you CAN save a penny!    :lol:  And Mr. Muel, I already know what you're going to say; "but wvu80, if you buy a hundred of them, you can save a buck, so you're wrong and I'm right."  

I cannot argue with that kind of logic.  :P

Edited by wvu80

I need about 13 or 14 hookups.  The 3 extra hookups on the router are not going to be used because I am going to mount it in a location where it is not really feasible to use it. 

I will order the modem and 16 port switch that I listed on the first page. 

Now I need to figure out which ends and crimper I need for the cables that I already have installed. 

Thadeus:  Please check out my equipment (pics in a few minutes), I'd like your opinion,

dude, if your equipment works for you then cool. There's just no way I'd ever put a dumbed down hub in my network. But I've only been in I.T./Managed Services since 2001, so what do I know?  :rolleyes:

Don't go away just yet my friend, we're past hubs, you and Mustang Guy have convinced me that switches are the way to go.  B)  

+++

I really do value your opinion, but my tech knowledge is out-of-date.  I ran a computer biz for 10 years, but I don't have state-of-the-art info, as I just don't read and study that stuff like I used to.  I have some testers I'd like you to take a look at and see if they will do the job for Mr. Tigerwoods.

+++

This is a basic $30 8-pin crimper.  It should do the job, but I bought it when Cat 5 was all the rage.  It should be the same.  I also have a $100 pro crimper which does 8 and 4 pin (not pictured).  It uses a parallel crimp method, if that makes any sense to you.

post-58280-0-12760000-1414002217_thumb.j

This is the network tester that takes two ends into one device.  If all 4 pairs of wires are wired correctly, you get 4 sets of green lights.  If there is a mis-wire or loose connection, it shows red, and it shows you which pair was miswired.

post-58280-0-46400000-1414002270_thumb.j

post-58280-0-68360000-1414004307_thumb.j

This last tester uses a transmitter, so you hook up to one end and push transmit, and the receiver on the other end shows the 4 sets of green lights for a good connection.  This is what Tiger Woods will need for testing those long runs where both ends are not available at one place.

post-58280-0-72680000-1414002330_thumb.j

post-58280-0-93560000-1414003623_thumb.j

Mr. Smith:  My question to you, is will these tools/testers work with the Cat 6?  They are from the Cat 5 era.  I think they will, because the basic wiring pairs and connector ends are the same. 

Tiger Woods:  If this equipment is what you need, I can slip it all into a USPS $5 box and send it to you, if you'll just send it back to me the same way when you're done.  I don't need it right now, so you can keep it as long as you need it.

Edited by wvu80

Mr. Smith:  My question to you, is will these tools/testers work with the Cat 6?  They are from the Cat 5 era.  I think they will, because the basic wiring pairs and connector ends are the same. 

yes, they will. I've used all of those tools as well and they'll be fine for working with cat6 cables - the physical characteristics of the connectors are the same and your testers are just checking for signal continuity across each wire.

• Like 1

I was relegated to grunt tasks like patch panel management and cable making

I feel for you Brother … When i was growing up and still at the orphanage, whenever i’d get in trouble, they’d make me sit in a corner and make cables. 

Edited by BigStewMan

I was relegated to grunt tasks like patch panel management and cable making

I feel for you Brother … When i was growing up and still at the orphanage, whenever i’d get in trouble, they’d make me sit in a corner and make cables. 

And if the ends came off they'd beat you with the bare cable.  Been there, done that.

• Like 1

Pretty much the same tools I use except that I tend to run a lot of coax so I have those as well. Also shown is the punch down tool (for occasional use the plastic ones work) and the mini-dykes for trimming the wire.

post-19886-0-83960000-1414010859_thumb.j

USN Retired, those tools look like the good ones. :emotion-21:

I've often wondered why computer speakers don't run coax with BNC connectors since it's shielded very well, but I've never heard of anyone doing that.  I assume it has to do with impedance and cost.

Edited by wvu80

USN Retired, those tools look like the good ones.
A smidgen pricey but when we bought this house the previous owner had made a snake's nest of coax and UTP.. The numbered terminations were a god send trying to determine what went where. Then I added more coax for cameras. We (I) get all about getting it to work but not so much in the labeling department. I spent days trying to find out why the 'main phone' had wiring issues with the rest of the house then gave up and ran a new wire. It must be nice to have a home with a dedicated closet done correctly, labeled and ready to go. If I ever build a new place I will pay bonus for wire runs. We were planning to build, it didn't work out, but when I asked if I could do the low voltage runs the contractor balked. He wanted $75 per drop. Now I just have a spread sheet type print out in my office closet used to ID what goes where.

Thadeus:  Please check out my equipment (pics in a few minutes), I'd like your opinion,

dude, if your equipment works for you then cool. There's just no way I'd ever put a dumbed down hub in my network. But I've only been in I.T./Managed Services since 2001, so what do I know?  :rolleyes:

Don't go away just yet my friend, we're past hubs, you and Mustang Guy have convinced me that switches are the way to go.  B)  

+++

I really do value your opinion, but my tech knowledge is out-of-date.  I ran a computer biz for 10 years, but I don't have state-of-the-art info, as I just don't read and study that stuff like I used to.  I have some testers I'd like you to take a look at and see if they will do the job for Mr. Tigerwoods.

+++

This is a basic $30 8-pin crimper.  It should do the job, but I bought it when Cat 5 was all the rage.  It should be the same.  I also have a $100 pro crimper which does 8 and 4 pin (not pictured).  It uses a parallel crimp method, if that makes any sense to you.

attachicon.gifIMG_0009.JPG

This is the network tester that takes two ends into one device.  If all 4 pairs of wires are wired correctly, you get 4 sets of green lights.  If there is a mis-wire or loose connection, it shows red, and it shows you which pair was miswired.

attachicon.gifIMG_0005.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0013.JPG

This last tester uses a transmitter, so you hook up to one end and push transmit, and the receiver on the other end shows the 4 sets of green lights for a good connection.  This is what Tiger Woods will need for testing those long runs where both ends are not available at one place.

attachicon.gifIMG_0007.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0010.JPG

Tiger Woods:  If this equipment is what you need, I can slip it all into a USPS $5 box and send it to you, if you'll just send it back to me the same way when you're done.  I don't need it right now, so you can keep it as long as you need it.

Thank you for the generous offer.  I really do not like to borrow tools because projects can take a long time. 

I found these on Amazon, do these ends and crimper look good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BS92DCK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003M5BIII&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M40VDVPSYC8WNSK8W0G

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RJ-45-RJ-12-RJ-11-TC-CT68/dp/B0000AZK4G/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-HDE-H11-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B000P1OA1O/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z

Tiger Woods:  If this equipment is what you need, I can slip it all into a USPS $5 box and send it to you, if you'll just send it back to me the same way when you're done.  I don't need it right now, so you can keep it as long as you need it. (wvu80)

Thank you for the generous offer.  I really do not like to borrow tools because projects can take a long time. 

I found these on Amazon, do these ends and crimper look good?

Geez, four bucks for the network tester?  :blink:   You can't beat that! 

It looks like $31 for the tool, ends and tester.  That is an absolute deal.  You've got all the right stuff, I'd go for it.

+++

When you are testing your cables, pull or tug lightly on the ends and see if you can get them to fail (the light will go off, then on when stressed).  Sometimes a connecter will initially read good, but an intermittent loose connection will slow down your internet and is really hard to track down later.  If you can get it to fail even for a second, cut off the cable end and put on another one.

I didn't like doing cable ends, it was very tedious and you have to concentrate hard to get four pairs in the proper order.

Edited by wvu80

I've been doing fiber/Cat5x/coax for close to 20 years now. A good punchdown tool is worth its weight in gold. Make sure you get a small patch panel, you don't want to add rj45 connectors to cat5/6 cable. The solid conductors don't allow very good crimping at all..

For our new/old house, I used a couple of older Apple Airport Extremes. One is mounted on the wall by the cable modem and one at the other end of the house. The SSIDs are the same, so I get very even coverage throughout the house for the wireless. Apple allows the two access points to be ties together and it was really easy to set up. We don't have that many devices, but if necessary, I would plug in a couple of small gigabit switches.

Right now, we're still on Comcast, but my cheap rate for the year will end next month. Our local power company delivers gigabit to houses via fiber, and the price is very reasonable. Service is superb, so I will be switching ISPs then.

Bruce

Bruce

I've been doing fiber/Cat5x/coax for close to 20 years now. A good punchdown tool is worth its weight in gold. Make sure you get a small patch panel, you don't want to add rj45 connectors to cat5/6 cable. The solid conductors don't allow very good crimping at all..

Bruce

Wow, slow down (and thank you).

I think that I have this all wrong.  I was going to add ends to the actual cables.  You are telling me to use patch panels instead.  Then I willl need several small (1') cables to go into the switch.  That is fine if that is the way to go. 

I need to check but I think that I have 7 cables comming from 1 standard electrical box (3 space) that I put in the wall.   So I can add one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-8-Port-Unshielded-Rackmount-TC-P08C6/dp/B003SSX1Z2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1414076472&sr=1-2&keywords=8+port

But how do I make it look neat (is there an enclosure or do I need to fabricate something?

Do I still need a punchdown tool if I am not installing ends?

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Punch-Krone-Blade-TC-PDT/dp/B0000AZK4D/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_y

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns