Guesses on Klipsch's "Biggest Launch in Years" at CES on 01-06-15

Youthman

• Moderators

Size does matter....and I like the size of the 280.

New version is slightly larger.

RF-82ii

Height: 43.9"

Width: 9.3"

Depth: 16.3

Weight: 61.5

RP-280F

Height: 43.06" (Chad, should this be 43.6?)

Width: 10.55"

Depth: 18.32"

Weight: 62.5

I'm not a fan of any of the new stuff. Even the name bothers me. Reference premier? If it's the Premier, shouldn't it be better quality than the current reference line? They should have named it something completely different. I think its a little offensive to current reference owners.

I didn't read the 40 pages before this, so I'm sure a lot of this has been said. A reasonably priced 3 way tower would have been nice. At the RF7II price, they should be able to add a mid. I'm sure they sell a whole lot more lower end best buy model stuff. Business wise it makes more sense to appeal the masses, but I have no interest.

i agree with the naming of the speakers -  even the best buy models -   takes away from the Real Ref. models up till now -  i wouldnt call the best buy models Ref. -  i am sure they sound good if you hear them but to call them Ref. -  ??

have to give it some time to adjust to the new models -  i would have liked a Real Ref. 3 way also -  which i would have been interested in buying if that was the case -   i noticed they dont even show the Ref. II models on the website - just the RF 7II -     i guess the new Premier is the new Ref. II ?   or maybe they bring back the RF 5 ?      we see how it plays out - i am sure they will sell great and glad if they do -

• Administrators

Regarding the 3-way question in relation to the Reference Premiere line... Our official stance that I've been given clearance to post (straight from our technical training doc)

3-WAY VS. HORN LOADED 2-WAY

Back in the day, PAUL KLIPSCH firmly believed that a great horn-loaded 2-way speaker system could outperform a standard 3-way design, in performance bandwidth, phase accuracy and dynamics.

We today believe a Klipsch designed 2-way speaker has tremendous advantages over a standard direct-radiating 3-way system. This was considered in the development of the all new Reference Premiere line.

Sonic accuracy reaches new heights and it outshines other 2-way and 3-way speaker designs, utilizing the laws of physics.

Now, I know that doesn't answer the "why no horn-loaded 3-way", but there you go.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I will verify but I believe what's on the sheet is correct. 

Ok, just seemed odd to measure in .06 of an inch but after looking at other speakers, there are several that are measured that way as well.

Size does matter....and I like the size of the 280.

New version is slightly larger.

RF-82ii

Height: 43.9"

Width: 9.3"

Depth: 16.3

Weight: 61.5

RP-280F

Width: 10.55"

Depth: 18.32"

Weight: 62.5

That's why I had to do a double take when I saw that photo...could have sworn they were a "new" 7 at first.

I think the 2º canting is very subtle and very attractive... I loved the look of the new reference line in person even though I may not be a direct customer of them in the short term. I WOULD NOT steer anyone away from the purchase... they are quite nice.

Also... that new subwoofer was banging and tight for all you Klipsch Subwoofer haters!

• Like 2

I scanned through the comments and concerns expressed in the last 12 or so pages of this thread and don't see any problem with the new line of speakers.  From the beginning, the Reference series has offered outstanding value for the money.  My RF-15s are among the best small, floor standing, tower speakers I've ever heard, in spite of being "consumer grade."  I've owned Heresys, CWs, and K-horns (and have designed and built amps for countless users of same), all of which were used in moderate or large rooms.  And as excellent as they were, I don't miss them.  In fact the RFs, as used in my near-field system, are just as musically involving.  Further, the number of people I've encountered who are interested in speakers the size of CWs, LSs, and especially K-horns is definitely decreasing.  The cost of a new pair certainly is contributing.  With that in mind, when I'm asked how much it would cost to have a system similar to mine, it's nice to be able to reply that for less than $1500 complete, they can have it!  At that price point, there's definite interest.  There would not be any if I had to say that the speakers cost $4000 or more for a new pair, but they might be able to find some used ones for 1/4 that which would require upgrading which will add more expense.  My only hope for the new series is that they are less bright than the Reference 2s.  Those I've found to be brighter than I and some others prefer.  But, that is easily dealt with in the amp design when required.  I'm anxious to find a place where I can hear the new ones!  I presume they are still made in China, but please correct me if that's not the case.

Maynard