Sherbourn Amp Problems

Youthman

There is no substitute for power....that's my motto. If the amp is back and working  as it should just think of the dynamic range, power reserves and headroom this monster amp gives you. I say it's a keeper!

Ah......Headroom   Gotta love it.

• Moderators

I just did an A/B comparison in 2ch with no subs. Slightly more bottom end with the LS but as mentioned, they don't have a lot of bottom end anyways and the dual RSW-15 handle the lows.

Even at 102db (way louder than I typically listen to) the Onkyo plays crystal clear without breaking up at all.

Billy, I have thought about that. I'm not one that typically holds onto things based on "what if" scenarios. I'm thinking if I need one down the road, I can always pick up another amp. There's plenty of good deals to be found.

• Like 1

I'm sure you considered this but I'll throw it out just in case. What about a few years down the road and some hot new processor technology is out and you want to upgrade that part? You might just need an amp. I wouldn't sell that thing if it were me.

I'll agree with you, then I'll play devil's advocate.  :D

The problem he has is that he's gotten so many good deals, he now has very little money into some of his gear, and he is amp/AVR rich, if I am understanding correctly.  He's got a lot of good stuff!  :)

I suggest sell the excess inventory while it is still in good working condition, which should put some reserve cash into the sock drawer for the next "deal" that comes along.

This from a guy who has not sold any of his own AVR's/receivers for 30 years.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

I'm sure you considered this but I'll throw it out just in case. What about a few years down the road and some hot new processor technology is out and you want to upgrade that part? You might just need an amp. I wouldn't sell that thing if it were me.

I'll agree with you, then I'll play devil's advocate.  :D

The problem he has is that he's gotten so many good deals, he now has very little money into some of his gear, and he is amp/AVR rich, if I am understanding correctly.  He's got a lot of good stuff!  :)

I suggest sell the excess inventory while it is still in good working condition, which should put some reserve cash into the sock drawer for the next "deal" that comes along.

This from a guy who has not sold any of his own AVR's/receivers for 30 years.  :rolleyes:

Yeah no way I'd sell it but that's me. Everyone operates a little differently. That's what makes the world such an interesting place... 

• Like 1

I just did an A/B comparison in 2ch with no subs. Slightly more bottom end with the LS but as mentioned, they don't have a lot of bottom end anyways and the dual RSW-15 handle the lows.

Did you remember to switch the mains to "large" when you shut the subs off?

• Like 1

• Moderators
The problem he has is that he's gotten so many good deals, he now has very little money into some of his gear, and he is amp/AVR rich, if I am understanding correctly.

There is some truth in that.

I always keep money in the "sock drawer" for that very purpose.  :D  It's fully funded as we speak. :P

This from a guy who has not sold any of his own AVR's/receivers for 30 years. :rolleyes:

Wow!  That's pre Dolby Pro-Logic days.  ;)

I always keep money in the "sock drawer" for that very purpose.  :D  It's fully funded as we speak. :P

A fully funded sock drawer?  Very cool.  :emotion-21:

Where did you say you live?

This from a guy who has not sold any of his own AVR's/receivers for 30 years. :rolleyes:

Wow!  That's pre Dolby Pro-Logic days.  ;)

Yes, I'm hoping to upgrade to Dolby someday when the prices drop a little.  Some of those fancy receivers can cost close to a hundred dollars!  :o

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators
A fully funded sock drawer? Very cool. :emotion-21: Where did you say you live?

I live in one of the Mafia's suites inside their gated mansion.  There is a moat in front with crocodiles, snipers on each corner of the exterior wall, booby traps between the outer and inner walls.  If you make it past all of that, you still may not find my house since it's protected with an invisible cloaking device. 

Yes, I'm hoping to upgrade to Dolby someday when the prices drop a little. Some of those fancy receivers can cost close to a hundred dollars! :o

I bet you could sell a few of your non-fancy receivers and get you one of them there fancy machines.  :D

Just a tip on quoting....if you are using a computer, if you highlight the portion of the text you want to quote (a word, sentence etc), you will see a popup box appear with a "Quote" button.  It's quicker than quoting the entire post and then having to delete or reply within the quote itself.  This is really handy when you want to reply to various thoughts / questions from different posts. :emotion-21:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since my initial comparison, I haven't unhooked the Sherbourn to do any further testing. 

Every time I see you've made a new post on your own "Sherbourn amp problems" I cringe.  :rolleyes:  I'm glad things are smooth sailing at this point.

+++

Thanks for the heads-up on that quote feature.  It looks very handy, I will start using it.

• Moderators

Yes, the Sherbourn has worked perfectly EVERY time I have turned it on after they repaired it the second time. I'm thinking it was just an oversight on their part. It should have never been released to me without testing it a few times first, especially knowing the problem was intermittent. Just glad it's working great after 9hrs of driving LOL