DeanG crossovers for La Scalas

sadie777

For some reason, my original post is not showing, so here it is again.

I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone has a pair of DeanG crossovers that I could borrow to see if I like them.

I bought a pair of La Scalas that already had the Crites A/4500 crossovers and CT125s in them. I recently bought a second pair to have a center. These have the type AL crossovers that need to be replaced. Now I could just buy some more Crites, but I have read so many good things about Dean's crossovers, that I'd like to try them. I'd hate to buy them and then end up liking the Crites better. I see on DeanG's website that he does not offer returns.

Is there anyone who has heard both and can give me any their opinion?

Any help, info or suggestions with be greatly appreciated

• Like 1

Whichever direction you go,  you would want all of your front stage to have the same tweeter/crossover combination for sake of timbre matching.

Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I'd just hate to buy 3 crossovers and then like the Crites better. If there is no way that I can hear the DeanG crossovers, I'll probably just go with another set of Crites. Three sets of DeanG crossovers are expensive.
  • Like 1

What determines the cost of your crossovers? 

We charge $125.00 per board for the first order types and $150.00 for the more complex builds like the SuperX or Klipsch PIO Type AA. We're meticulous builders, and our rate of labor is more than reasonable for the time and effort applied. The remainder of the cost is related to the parts, Capacitors like the Jensens and Jupiters are to a large degree, handmade products, and this is reflected in their cost. When it comes to the more conventional axial wound types, there are many physical differences between them. For example: though some high quality metallized types will measure the same in several parameters as a film and tin type, they don't sound anything alike. Competitors claim the measurements show there is no difference, which of course allows for rather inexpensive builds. However, we can't help what we hear, and we refuse to put our name on sub-par builds. We're interested in elevating the musical experience, and a day or two of solid listening will reveal things that a dozen pages of plots won't.  

Edited by Thaddeus Smith
  • Like 1

What determines the cost of your crossovers? 

We charge $125.00 per board for the first order types and $150.00 for the more complex builds like the SuperX or Klipsch PIO Type AA. We're meticulous builders, and our rate of labor is more than reasonable for the time and effort applied. The remainder of the cost is related to the parts, Capacitors like the Jensens and Jupiters are to a large degree, handmade products, and this is reflected in their cost. When it comes to the more conventional axial wound types, there are many physical differences between them. For example: though some high quality metallized types will measure the same in several parameters as a film and tin type, they don't sound anything alike. Competitors claim the measurements show there is no difference, which of course allows for rather inexpensive builds. However, we can't help what we hear, and we refuse to put our name on sub-par builds. We're interested in elevating the musical experience, and a day or two of solid listening will reveal things that a dozen pages of plots won't.  

I've read that on the website. I wasn't complaining about the cost or questioning it, just saying that it will be expensive for me at this time to buy three. If I knew that I like them much better, I'd buy in a heartbeat. I could recoup some costs by selling the Crites. I know that I like the Crites now, but from what I've been reading, it seems to me that I may like the others better.

If I misunderstood the point of your post, I apologize. Just wanted you to know I understand why the higher price and if it seemed like I was complaining, I wasn't.

• Like 1

Honestly, the AA sounds the best with most music and volume levels, but only if you build them right. I recently heard a nice pair of Belle Klipsch, being told beforehand that "the new crossovers I just put in really make the midrange shine". Lol, I guess. While he was standing there grinning ear to ear, I was ready to drop down into the fetal position.

The adjustability feature we see on many designs, including one that I build, really isn't needed, and just ends up being something that's used to compensate for the bright and forward nature of the relatively inexpensive metallized polypropylene capacitors most are using. Almost everyone knocks them down 3dB, and just leaves them there. All of my paper in oil and wax/paper capacitors are tapped out the same way the stock networks are, and they sound awesome, no fiddling required. Last summer, I spent over a month trying to recreate the sound of my best builds by using high quality films (not metallized) and reducing the midrange output a little -- they all sounded good, but not as good, and none could reproduce the richness and crazy wide soundstage.

I've said this many times in the past, and I know it really ticks some of you off -- but many of you have no point of reference. IOWs, you haven't heard them at their best to begin with, and so mistakenly believe that a cheap recap job, or the purchase of some entry level crossovers will have you listening to something that sounds like it did the day it left the factory. Dream on!

Hey John, there's actually quite a bit of soldering my friend -- 40 places to heat up on a pair of AAs.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 2

Thanks for responding Dean. I sent you a PM a couple of weeks ago, don't know if you've read it or not. If you haven't, could you please? How long does it take to build a pair once an order is placed? I probably won't have funds to purchase until around October.

I've looked over your website, but I'm not sure which ones I should get. Don't think I'd want or need the ones that can be adjusted.

• Like 1

I have tried many iterations of network builds in my Klipschorn's, Belle's and La Scala's.  I initially rebuilt them myself with better caps and coils that I sourced from Parts Express.  I did not get the lowest quality I went middle of the road.  That alone was pricey, good caps are not cheap.  It sounded better but not spectacular.  I did also try a pair of Bob's adjustable AA's with the can capacitors that can be converted to A's those sounded a bit better as well. 

The truth here is things do not really get better until you try a different design altogether.  Once I plugged a pair of Dean's meticulously built networks in there was NO going back.  Everything sounded more open, instruments could be picked out even during complex passages.  The custom network he built for my center has all but eliminated the discerning dialogue issues that I had in the past.  Look at it as an investment.  I assume you plan to keep these speakers a lifetime why not make the investment in a quality network right from the start instead of taking the route that I initially took that cost me more in the long run.

His ALK Jr that presents the amplifier a constant impedance is a good choice.  I am really wanting to try one of his DC designs that looks really intriguing.  Might try that in my Cornwalls or my front effects Heresy's.

It is your money and your choice and Dean is extremely flexible and even offers payment plans, where are you going to find that for custom work? 

You will not be disappointed!  I would purchase them without hearing them because I know they will be better than any stock network.

You have to admit that Dean's crossovers always get good reviews but like all custom work t takes a leap of faith to order.

I recently ordered a custom leadpipe for my main trombone. Over $200 for a 8 inch copper tube. No way to try it out, made to order. Great feedback from guys I trust but it took a long while to get my courage up to order it. I have been eagerly waiting for it for the last month, maybe I will get it by February?

Edited by tromprof