Dean's SuperX !

EmilC

Thanks Emil.

The networks are really just a Universal with a first order midrange section instead of second order. I think first order sounds better, but steeper slopes are sometimes required as room size and power levels increase. Some capacitors allow for a sound that is smoother and more open, with less low level grain. It's really not difficult to hear, unless you put up a psychological wall and run a chainsaw while you're listening.

• Like 1

Replaced ALK's Universal with Dean's SuperX.

Alk's xover is no slouch and at $320 a nice upgrade from Crite's but the SuperX is in another league.True it cost twice as much but parts are not parts. Dean uses Clarity and Mundorf and the extra cost shows.

Selenium D405 replaced with B&C DCM50

Nice work, Dean

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

What did you do with your ALK's?  Are they the Cornscala-wall's? 

Alk's xover is no slouch and at $320 a nice upgrade from Crite's but the SuperX is in another league.True it cost twice as much but parts are not parts. Dean uses Clarity and Mundorf and the extra cost shows.

Nice work, Dean

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

What did you do with your ALK's?  Are they the Cornscala-wall's? 

. I sold then to finance the  SuperX

Edited by EmilC

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work, Dean

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

Thanks for sharing pictures and comments about your crossovers. Your system looks good. I am also interested in what you think of the B&C DCM50 midrange compression drivers compared to the Selenium D405.

Edited by Khornukopia

Thanks for sharing pictures and comments about your crossovers. Your system looks good. I am also interested in what you think of the B&C DCM50 midrange compression drivers compared to the Selenium D405.

The DCM50 is a major upgrade over D405. The D405 is a more forgiving driver ( less accurate), giving a "warmer" sound as some would describe. The DCM50 can be ruthlessly revealing. Anything in the audio chain, whether good or bad, will be revealed so be carefull what you wish for  :lol: .

If you have the stock Crites xover, dont even think of going to the DCM50. Swap it our for the ALK, or better yet, the SuperX. Then make the move. You wont regret it.

Parts Express has a return policy if the  DCM50 dont work out. Take advantage of that and give it a go. Very easy to install, also.

• 3 months later...

I would love to walk into a perfectly treated room someday and ruin it all with a handful of junk resistors and some crappy electrolytics.

We should be to the point by now where we can agree that ALL elements in the reproduction chain are critical to great sound. This includes room treatments and proper placement as well as the use of high quality parts in the gear and networks we use.

I don't mind selling 3670s along with some hook up instructions to someone who understands how to scale the parts, etc., but I really don't like selling them to people who expect me to write a tutorial for them after the sale.

I'm also really happy with the new UT 2564 2.5mH inductor -- it's a beast. I never thought I would see the day where I would be using an iron core, but it's such a well made unit. The Erse Super Q is certainly still a good a part, but it loses something with no varnish or wax to secure/bind the windings.

Speaking of wax, I spent some time today speaking with "Chris" of Jupiter Condensing Co., and found out that the round replacement for the Flat Stack(s) should be out this fall. Along with the obvious change from flat to round, they are also moving to 18 AWG tin coated copper leads, a welcome change to anyone who has has any experience working with the extremely delicate 20 AWG silver. This new line has been specifically designed with loudspeaker crossovers in mind, while the copper foil being reserved for electronics. However, the copper foil values do go high enough for crossover use, but I have no idea who could afford them!

It's interesting comparing the Jupiters to the Jensens. They sound different, but both are so clean, open and balanced that it's just not possible for me to have a clear preference. So, I've decided to build myself some Jensen PIO AAs after I get caught up.

DeanG, please take it easy, no one is questioning your work or anything about you.  I was just suggesting to the original poster there could be other possible considerations to consider.  Think that is not out of align with the concept of this forum.  Opinions are like rectums, everyone as one, some just smell more than others.  Life is all good, cause what is the alternative.  Cheers.

With those bare walls and speaker placements you hear the sound difference in the crossovers more than say room treatments and moving the speakers up and away from the side and 'front' listening walls?

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

Hi jacksonbart

the Cornscalas appear to be flush against the side wall but in reality they are toed in. Much more now then the photo below shows

DSC00392.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Take it easy? I'm fine. I didn't think you were bringing my work into question at all. I was simply responding as a forum member that has a lot of experience in an area where you apparently don't have any. Don't take that as a slam, but that post of yours would have elicited the same response out of me if you would have said, "Hey, before you upgrade your amp, have you considered working with placement or room treatments?" You see, those two things bring very different types of improvements to the listening experience. Will changing loudspeaker placement or room treatments increase headroom or lower distortion? Upgrading the parts in a network is very much like that -- it brings something to the table that the other elements cannot.

• Like 2

Take it easy? I'm fine. I didn't think you were bringing my work into question at all. I was simply responding as a forum member that has a lot of experience in an area where you apparently don't have any. Don't take that as a slam, but that post of yours would have elicited the same response out of me if you would have said, "Hey, before you upgrade your amp, have you considered working with placement or room treatments?" You see, those two things bring very different types of improvements to the listening experience. Will changing loudspeaker placement or room treatments increase headroom or lower distortion? Upgrading the parts in a network is very much like that -- it brings something to the table that the other elements cannot.

I think they go hand in hand. With near-field reflections off those side walls the "echo" will take away the nuances that the upgraded X-Overs will provide. I would think its like your x-overs are like a great cut of steak but if I roast it to well done and cover it with A1 sauce (Placement and treatment) then I wont notice its Prime and not something cheap from the grocery store.

crossover upgrades are the best audio money I have spent. And deans upgrades are the best I have heard. Room treatments etc cannot make the music more liquid and grain free - crossover upgrades do.

Fwiw

Edited by joshnich

• 5 years later...
On 1/23/2015 at 1:34 PM, EmilC said:

Nice work, Dean

DSC00393.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

Emil, saw this post and wanted to ask if you have any crossover tips, I have Cornwalls that I just put dcm 50’s into.  I’d love to have Deans XO’s but from what I read in this forum he’s not really looking for work? Trying to figure it crossovers for these, have Crites b2 now, don’t know if I can modify or start new, ALK universal? IDK what to do!  

12 hours ago, VDS said:

Emil, saw this post and wanted to ask if you have any crossover tips, I have Cornwalls that I just put dcm 50’s into.  I’d love to have Deans XO’s but from what I read in this forum he’s not really looking for work? Trying to figure it crossovers for these, have Crites b2 now, don’t know if I can modify or start new, ALK universal? IDK what to do!  

Hi VDS

If Dean's not building, go for the ALK at least. A no brainer

I never really liked the Cornscalas until I replaced the xover with the ALK.

The DCM is a very good driver and deserves better