Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

Saying that Greenland was green is a bit of a stretch. The shorelines were green as they are today but the ice cap started about 50 miles inland and slowly rose up to 12000 feet of ice in the center. There is a lot of green grass and small windblown shrubs with plenty of caribou and flowers. polar bears and birds. Ice cores are regularly taken and at the lower depths date back to more than 100,000 years ago. The center of the ice cap as a buildup of 3 ft. per year of snow with varying layers of ice to the 30 foot depth where the ice gets very dense. This was the foundation of the two Air force radar/communication sites built in the early 1960's which weighed 5 million pounds. The buildings sat on huge oak timbers which were placed about 12 inches apart at a 30 foot depth. Then the foundation was enclosed with 2 inch thick marine plywood to keep the snow and ice out. The abandoned buildings are still there and almost totally snow covered. The Greenland ice cap is receding however at an accelerated rate around the edges as observed by NASA satellite photos. During some of the core drilling operations rock was hit and and other holes were drilled at different locations. A new radar study has found a mountain range under the ice cap and the core drillers were hitting the tops of the mountains. And by the way I used to work there for 10 years as a civilian.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

Every time someone mentions global warning, I immediately think of the movie The Day After Tomorrow!

Iunderground mines use scrubbers on their combustion engines - and it works - they will come soon or later to all gas engines to reduce pollution -it is just a question of time -

I am seeing a lot more worrying about politics than politics.  That's fine and as it should be.  This is a science issue and subject to scientific review.  I will mention "they" momentarily, but "they" is not any party or particular establishment, just those who are not me. 

I am equally disturbed by those who can't simply recall from experience that global warming is a fact.  I noticed that snowfall in my old hometown was less by the late 70s than in the 50s, and it is far less now.  I suspect this has actually been going on for a couple of hundred years. 

The evidence for any significant human contributions isn't particularly convincing.  The shifts are not as great as those in historic times, such as the one that was a causal agent in the barbarian incursions into the Roman empire and the Little Ice Age of the 15th +/- centuries that had significant impact in accelerating the industrial revolution due to the shortage of wood causing a switch to coal.

What would the proverbial "they" lie to us?  No clue and I wouldn't venture a guess.  But when "they" ridicule and shout down those who disagree with ad hominems it doesn't endear 'them" to me or do anything for their credibility.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

if man made global warning is fact, why do they lie and falsify the data?

they dont falsify data , it changes constantly  the science is not there yet , nothing you can do about it before a few decades -

the last time I was in Asia , you could not see 10 feet away - they use charcoal everywhere - NY is heaven compared to Shanghai -

It would only become political if some are not capable of having an adult conversation and resort to ad hominem attacks.

This entire thread (a few posts excepted) is a giant ad hominem attack against climate science.  

The arguments are reminiscent of the ones put forth by stupid parents who refuse to vaccinate their children.  

Since I personally know some NOAA scientists, I'll take their word for it over anything put forth so far in this thread.

This is a blatantly partisan political thread and should be closed.  Take it to Fox News sites, this BS is beneath the Klipsch forum standards (and against forum policy if I'm not mistaken).  

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 2

Good point, Mark.  This planet has a remarkable ability to self correct.  Man is a temporary nuisance.  Perhaps you'll recall my position in another discussion that those who cry "Save the Planet" haven't taken a good look around.  It's already destroyed.  Just in my lifetime the southern forests largely disappeared, and from the time I left Thailand in 1973 until I returned in 1988 the majority of the pristine jungle and teak forests had be totally destroyed. 

My mantra remains:  If you want to save the planet, GET OFF IT AND LET IT HEAL.  It doesn't need man's noblesse oblige. 

Dave

• Like 2

This is a blatantly partisan political thread and should be closed.

Well, if it happens it won't be because it's political.  I've not seen any political parties or institutions called out.  Why would you wish to limit discussion on something you obviously care about?

I will monitor this, and lock it when the ad hominems increase or it becomes political or uncivil.  There is no reason it cannot be discussed without crossing those lines. 

Somehow, I have the feeling it isn't going to happen.

Odd that science should bring out such animosity.

Dave

• Like 2

if man made global warning is fact, why do they lie and falsify the data?

they dont falsify data , it changes constantly  the science is not there yet , nothing you can do about it before a few decades -

the last time I was in Asia , you could not see 10 feet away - they use charcoal everywhere - NY is heaven compared to Shanghai -

"The Science is not there", you have just defeated your own stand point, for if the science is not there to dis prove, It can not be there to Prove...................so why argue a fact that has no complete science

Suffice it to say that humanity should be the best stewards of this planet as possible.  Can biologic fauna alter the physical composition and activity on a planet?  Yes it can and it has happened here on earth.  The rise of photosynthetic plants brought oxygen to the earth and repurposed carbon dioxide levels capturing and holding the gas in a variety of forms.  So it can happen.  It has happened.

Let's assume humanity has altered our planet.  Assume the worst if you want to.  Is there anyway humanity can quickly correct the mistake?  Probably not and most certainly not if on a few major countries make the effort.  

Assume humanity has not altered the planet.  Assume the least if you want to.  This is no reason to condone mismanaging the earths resources as we now understand them.

So...... the argument is a little moot.  All humanity should do now is be the best stewards of the planet as possible.  And we can be prepared.  If science suggests that we've got more extreme weather headed our way....... plan on it.  If the worst predictions are true and we lose the great oceanic currents due to a massive influx of fresh water........ then humanity evolves to survive or not....... just like we've done up until now.

Personally I do not accept the notion that America needs to shoot itself in the foot in any massive endeavor to reverse any alterations in the weather.  It simply would not work.  If global warming is true....... it is too little, too late.  If not then it is not necessary.

All humanity should do is be the best stewards of this here planet.  

I give up - help

Be honest, you don't know why you believe man causes global warming. Do you? Give us something more than smog in New York or your washing machine theory.

here is data that is 10 years old        - there is a cool video - self explanatory :

http://expedition2010org.blogspot.ca/2010/09/fabled-northwest-passage-opens-ice-free.html

Edited by Randyh

This is a blatantly partisan political thread and should be closed.

Well, if it happens it won't be because it's political.  I've not seen any political parties or institutions called out.  Why would you wish to limit discussion on something you obviously care about?

I will monitor this, and lock it when the ad hominems increase or it becomes political or uncivil.  There is no reason it cannot be discussed without crossing those lines. 

Somehow, I have the feeling it isn't going to happen.

Odd that science should bring out such animosity.

Dave

What science?

• Like 1