Are we getting a smidgen out of hand on the forum?

USNRET

No way, the big carrot chunks are what makes it awesome. Slather it all over some hawaiian pizza. I just wish it came in big mason jar sizes, or 5-gallon buckets.

No argument...but Brian's use of them isn't for taste and there are no chunks of anything in his sauce.  It's more of the consistency of Louisiana/Tabasco.   While not safe to second guess a chef, my assumption was the carrot puree was more about texture than about taste.  As a user, I am looking for no non-pepper to stick out noticeably.  They should all blend together to form an amplifier and carrier for the fine peppers involved.

JMHO, and for whatever it's worth...

Dave

No way, the big carrot chunks are what makes it awesome. Slather it all over some hawaiian pizza. I just wish it came in big mason jar sizes, or 5-gallon buckets.

No argument...but Brian's use of them isn't for taste and there are no chunks of anything in his sauce.  It's more of the consistency of Louisiana/Tabasco.   While not safe to second guess a chef, my assumption was the carrot puree was more about texture than about taste.  As a user, I am looking for no non-pepper to stick out noticeably.  They should all blend together to form an amplifier and carrier for the fine peppers involved.

JMHO, and for whatever it's worth...

Dave

Yeah I shouldn't have said chunks, but it is really thick compared to Tabasco assuming we're talking about the same thing, barely comes out of that type of small bottle. He sent a small bottle after one of the "right this minute" contests. I've been rationing the last couple of servings.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators

there's got to be at least a couple good tamale stands in the Corpus area

Been looking for 5 years; good but not REAL good

Have you tried Josie's?  I thought those were great, but it has been a long time.  If not you still have Water St. and the corporate HQ Whataburger restaurant. 

He sent a small bottle after one of the "right this minute" contests. I've been rationing the last couple of servings.

Yep.  That batch was just a bit on the thick side though still better than anything you can buy.  I just felt like a bit less would both give it a bit less of a ketchup consistency and support the peppers slightly better.

OTOH...I'll TAKE it!

Dave

Thanks for the kind words and feedback y'all.  It is a thicker sauce as described.  I would love to source some 3 oz bottles with a wider mouth but so far no luck.  I also have some 5 oz bottles on hand which make it easier to get out.  The reason for the 3 oz need is the TSA travel regs.  I never leave home without it.  Lately I have added a green sauce which is the same recipe as the red with lemongrass and kaffir lime leaf, except the thai chiles are in the green stage,  It has been very popular so far.  Dave, maybe I will mix a sample for your evaluation as you suggest.

perhaps our postings in some areas are not meeting the expectations of the general populous. Perhaps we might curtail our 'input' a bit?

Without examples or more explanation it is a bit difficult to know what you are concerned over.

I once caught a bass that sooooo big, he stripped my line clear off the reel and stole the lure.

Edit;

Sorry, wrong forum.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

perhaps our postings in some areas are not meeting the expectations of the general populous. Perhaps we might curtail our 'input' a bit?

Without examples or more explanation it is a bit difficult to know what you are concerned over.

I once caught a bass that sooooo big, he stripped my line clear off the reel and stole the lure.

Edit;

Sorry, wrong forum.

That sounds mighty fishy.

Keith