can beer make you sick?

Paducah Home Theater

GOOD beer can and DOES make you sick... my favorite beer does indeed. I think this tends to happen with the high alcohol content ales because they are packed with all the goodies that make them so delicious.

I get gout, severe gas, distended stomach and very bad joint pain every time I partake in the frosty brew... that is why I cut back dramatically and feel better for it.

Edited by Schu

I would guess allergies.  The brewer would know if everyone was affected the same way and it seems that is not the case.  It obviously makes you sick, but it is a fact that any beer as long as it is not brewed with  poisons will never kill you.  The same cannot be said for bathtub gin, etc.

GOOD beer can and DOES make you sick... my favorite beer does indeed. I think this tends to happen with the high alcohol content ales because they are packed with all the goodies that make them so delicious.

I get gout, severe gas, distended stomach and very bad joint oain evertime I partake in the frosty brew... that is why I cut back dramatically and feel better for it.

Whiskey is starting to do a couple of things like this to me, I've been trying to cut back. Unfortunately I tend to self medicate and use it as a pain killer. I have a back that is bad enough that even sleeping hurts it, so it hurts plus I can't even sleep to get relief, I'll wake up feeling worse than when I laid down. I tend to get fed up with this occasionally and will kill a a half bottle of bourbon as an escape. Yeah I'm quite aware that I need to find another alternative.

• Like 2

Whiskey is starting to do a couple of things like this to me, I've been trying to cut back. Unfortunately I tend to self medicate and use it as a pain killer. I have a back that is bad enough that even sleeping hurts it, so it hurts plus I can't even sleep to get relief, I'll wake up feeling worse than when I laid down. I tend to get fed up with this occasionally and will kill a a half bottle of bourbon as an escape. Yeah I'm quite aware that I need to find another alternative.

that's scary... I hope you find relief from back pain some day.

Edited by Schu

I would ask the micro brew for the ingredients, if there is milk I am sure it can sour.  Making beer is like canning food, you still need to be clean about it.  I too would check with them again, and if they don't help call the health inspector.  

Making beer is like canning food, you still need to be clean about it.

I used to want to have my own microbrewery, went out to Colorado multiple times to festivals and picked the brains of the brewmasters. Normal people tend to view them as rock stars of sorts but many of them are burnt out, mainly because over half the job is cleaning. I met guys in popular breweries making $30-35K a year in very expensive areas which is borderline poverty level for where they were. Plus, to do it right with a restaurant I figured I need about $1.5 million to get started. I kind of gave up my dream after that. Apparently I just want to own one and do the business end of things plus get free burritos.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

I would ask the micro brew for the ingredients, if there is milk I am sure it can sour.

"Spicy iced coffee with hints of star anise and black strap molasses".  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illicium_verum

May have been that right there.  

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-364-star%20anise.aspx?activeingredientid=364&activeingredientname=star%20anise

"Be careful you know what you are taking. The star anise used as medicine is Chinese star anise. Don’t confuse it with Japanese star anise, which is poisonous and should not be taken. Some Chinese star anise tea products have been contaminated with Japanese star anise. You cannot tell the difference between them just by looking. Unless safety can be assured by chemical analysis, star anise tea should not be used."

Nice.  

11042661_750571888374186_159051973251135

http://www.livestrong.com/article/393739-what-are-the-side-effects-of-anise/

"Orally administered anise supplements may cause moderate to severe allergic reactions of the digestive and respiratory tracts. Such reactions may induce nausea, vomiting, diarrhea"

Grrrrr....  Of course, they may have been trying to use a fancy description and that may not be an ingredient at all.  Who on earth especially in Podunkville Kentucky knows what that tastes like though and would know what they're talking about?  This is in fact used in beer so I bet they did pepper it with the stuff.  

http://www.brewingspices.com/Brewing_with_Star_Anise.htm

https://byo.com/stories/item/2276-star-anise-stout

http://www.marinbrewing.com/platypus-venom

Like everyone, i grew up on Domestics.

Just after Nam, traveling the far east i drank whatever "in country" brew they had.

Coming back to the US in the 70s, first bar i saw, Draft Bud Please, second beer, headache :o

Drinking only imported since, zero problems.

My guess is chemicals.

post-57941-0-98540000-1426559691_thumb.j

• Like 3

Just after Nam, traveling the far east i drank whatever "in country" brew they had.

Coming back to the US in the 70s, first bar i saw, Draft Bud Please, second beer, headache :o

My guess is chemicals.

I try to steer clear of any beer that is made out of rice.  I should have just stuck with a plain Jane IPA the other day but thought I'd try something different.  

I get gout, severe gas, distended stomach and very bad joint oain evertime I partake in the frosty brew... that is why I cut back dramatically and feel better for it.

Medical Mary Jane...

• Like 4

My guess is chemicals.

When I came back from my assignment in the UK... Some friends gave me a Miller, and i threw up. I have only had Imported or Craft beers ever since and never gotten sick again.

• Like 1

Medical Mary Jane...

I second this, the topical creams they have now are extremely effective. Your liver will thank you as well.

• Like 1