Can we talk...

mangofirst

I've seen stuff like that before, a long time ago. It's why I rather always suspected ol' Bosch discovered ergot and rather liked it.

Ergot, the old stories of Hunters/Harvest moon where crazy people would dance in the streets after the last harvest in Europe.  Ergot was a fungus on the wheat.  The villagers would celebrate the last harvest and break some bread with spirits.  The ergot caused hallucinations, limb ischemia, and even death.  I won't eat organic bread to this day, lol.

Jung can't be that far removed from this forum; I've noticed quite a bit of argument here based at least in part on some of his theories as well as Joseph Campbell's.

Dynamite stuff: however, the half-life of a thread that actually discusses even tube amplifiers is fairly short, Can't say what this subject will do.  It's amazing what does pass for good conversation in some threads.

The half-body panel is one that I remember from a science book from my early youth on "The Mind", and the subject of the page it was on was "schizophrenia".  I've also seen that panel in many other contexts, but mostly having to do with mental or societal dysfunction.

Jung was wrong about his pyramid of needs, but certainly more correct about everything else than Freud was.  Freud had real hangups.

Campbell was blamed by one of my ministers for "doing violence" to the particular theology of the church that I was attending (and a denomination that grew up in).  It was cool because it gave me a good reason stay away from his sermons.  Campbell is a favorite, for sure...and not just for that.  Transformations of Myth, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, The Power of Myth--all excellent, IMHO, but in small dosages at a time.

"Follow your bliss."    I know that I do...every day.  Life is too short to follow someone else's. :rolleyes:

Chris

The Power of Myth is the only Campbell I have read.  It was actually purchased by my former school to be taught to 10th graders.  After reading it I was quite shocked because we live in the Bible belt.

The first year I tried getting through the whole thing with them which, while it did lead to some great conversations about the hero archetype, rites of passage (and the modern lack thereof), etc., was exhausting.  The next year I got some Kindles donated (by asking my friends on Facebook) and had them search for different key words.  Then we started the conversations from there.  It was much better on their wee brains to chunk it up.  :)

The Power of Myth is the only Campbell I have read. It was actually purchased by my former school to be taught to 10th graders. After reading it I was quite shocked because we live in the Bible belt.

Wow...

There are a lot of people that I know (all grown up) that really can't handle what he is saying.  .  My son reads Richard Dawkins.  I like memetic theory a great deal, but Dawkins "kicks the sleeping dog" a bit too much for my taste, I think. 

Back to art history (a subject that I know little about)...

• Moderators

He was certainly the master of satire.

The center panel depicts so many taboo subjects for that time, miscegenation, sodomy, same-sex relationships, etc.

The center panel was always the most thought provoking to me. Is he suggesting this is the paradise on Earth if there had been no bite of the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge? Or is it depicting the moral decay because of it?

Fendi had to most certainly have been influenced by him.

Travis

• Like 1

He was certainly the master of satire.

The center panel depicts so many taboo subjects for that time, miscegenation, sodomy, same-sex relationships, etc.

The center panel was always the most thought provoking to me. Is he suggesting this is the paradise on Earth if there had been no bite of the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge? Or is it depicting the moral decay because of it?

Fendi had to most certainly have been influenced by him.

Travis

Oh the duality!  

Oh my, Fendi.  Googled and found.  *le sigh*

At first glance I am reminded of an album cover (not an anal bum cover) that I used to stare at as I was listening:

Elton_John-Captain_Fantastic_And_The_Bro

Wow, was that ever a great album!  It went to #1 on the charts BEFORE it was even released.

+++

Carl Jung (pronounced "yoong") was a Swiss psychiatrist.  Most people would recognize a couple of words from everyday language that he coined; extrovert, and introvert.

• Like 1

One has to be impressed by someone choosing to teach Joseph Campbell. That's the kind of teaching we need to get to young children. I applaud you. When I get into a Campbell mood, I can go for months without putting him down. I think coming into an understanding of mythology is a much better road for both deists and atheists, than Dawkins takes.

This place is getting mo' betta by the day!

... a much better road for deists, atheists and theists.  Dawkins is too pat and too simple.

Both Jung and Campbell have done great spade work, even if a given reader can't agree with some of their conclusions.

I find Campbell's multivolume The Masks of God fascinating. 

Campbell points out that certain species of spiders weave certain distinct types of webs, even though it's hard to imagine that the spiders have these webs "in mind."  They are "wired" to make those specific webs.  He says "thus, spiders make webs, and men make myths." 

This, of course, doesn't mean that the myths are not, to one degree or another, "true."  I think it was filmmaker F. F. Coppola who said something like, "My films are fiction, but they're all true."

As to the complex truth about what is "real," I like the story of the blind men and the elephant.

A LOT of my life's philosophy blossomed in Hope in the late 70's early 80's. It was a center of counterculture that few knew about. Most due to Klipsch and Associates.

Dawkins is too arrogant in his presentations. I much prefer Joseph Campbell. Castaneda was prevalent around Hope in the time period I mentioned.

• Like 1

Seems as I recall, the 3 stages of life. First the peace and harmony of creation. Then the dog eat dog real world behavior, and then the reward, or come uppance.

Theologically speaking it is incorrect though. Meat eaters didn't exist until after the fall. You've got multiple animals trying to eat another animal before the fall here. So was this a mistake or some kind of artistic statement?