Would You Do This To A Classic Amp?

thebes

"... custom designs all new circuitry that transforms your vintage amp into a modern, extreme high-end amplifier.

We perform complete “gut and rebuild” modifications that greatly improve the sound quality of virtually any vintage amp, including Fisher, Marantz, McIntosh, Dynaco, Eico, H.H. Scott, Sherwood and Heathkit.

We begin by removing all of the amp’s original components, including all resistors and capacitors. Then we create new, custom circuitry that optimizes the sound quality of its original power supply and output transformers.

Each stage of your amplifier, from the phono preamp section to the power output stage, is redesigned and rebuilt.  The phono and line amplifiers are converted to low feedback pure class A triode designs. The output and driver stages are changed from simple push-pull to fully differential amplifiers using either power pentode or full triode design.

These modifications provide a level of inner detail and spatial-dynamics normally associated only with amps costing 10 times the price. They represent a truly outstanding value for the money. It is very difficult to surpass the sound quality of our modified amps for less than $25,000."

Sure sprucing up and jazzing up a classic amp during a rebuild is acceptable behavior, but what is the point of a gut job like they are describing. Apparently all the guys whose genius designed these things were all wrong, or eclipsed or something, and instead of offering a new circuit in a new amp, for $2700  we'll turn your classic into some sort of audio Potemkin Village.

Ok let's try a car analogy. Would you put a Porsche  engine into a Maserati?

Seems incredibly silly to me.

Oh, and does somebody really make a $25,000 amp?  I suppose. this is audio after all.

• Like 1

Not all classic designs are equal in sound quality performance and can be improved with better circuit designs.

Many modifying companies working on Dynaco, Hafler, Adcom and others have use the practice of using the basic design's chassis and transformer (transformers in the case of tube amplifiers) and other various components while introducing their own improved circuits. It can save considerable money since a large cost of a design is in the chassis, case work, transformers, heat sinks for SS designs..etc......

"Apparently all the guys whose genius designed these things were all wrong, or eclipsed or something"

There are many reasons why amplifiers (Tubes and SS) can be improved and it doesn't mean the original designers were wrong for their time or circumstances that might have influenced the original design.

miketn 

Oh, and does somebody really make a $25,000 amp?  I suppose. this is audio after all.

Ha!  You should have gone to the Axpona Audio show a couple of weeks ago with me in Chicago!  Chock full of $25,000 amps, speakers, cables....(well, almost....) 

If I ever get my 70 beetle to you for a full body rehab, promise me you won't do any of that to her!

I think I can fit a 3.6 liter boxer engine in a 70 beetle. Throw on a turbo and you can be smoking the GTR's.   :)

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

"... custom designs all new circuitry that transforms your vintage amp into a modern, extreme high-end amplifier.

We perform complete “gut and rebuild” modifications that greatly improve the sound quality of virtually any vintage amp, including Fisher, Marantz, McIntosh, Dynaco, Eico, H.H. Scott, Sherwood and Heathkit.

We begin by removing all of the amp’s original components, including all resistors and capacitors. Then we create new, custom circuitry that optimizes the sound quality of its original power supply and output transformers.

Each stage of your amplifier, from the phono preamp section to the power output stage, is redesigned and rebuilt.  The phono and line amplifiers are converted to low feedback pure class A triode designs. The output and driver stages are changed from simple push-pull to fully differential amplifiers using either power pentode or full triode design.

These modifications provide a level of inner detail and spatial-dynamics normally associated only with amps costing 10 times the price. They represent a truly outstanding value for the money. It is very difficult to surpass the sound quality of our modified amps for less than $25,000."

Sure sprucing up and jazzing up a classic amp during a rebuild is acceptable behavior, but what is the point of a gut job like they are describing. Apparently all the guys whose genius designed these things were all wrong, or eclipsed or something, and instead of offering a new circuit in a new amp, for $2700  we'll turn your classic into some sort of audio Potemkin Village.

Ok let's try a car analogy. Would you put a Porsche  engine into a Maserati?

It's not silly if the people doing the work have incredible audio design credentials

Exactly.

To be honest, you can get so much now for so little in the way of good amplification that I just don't see the point in pursuing this kind of stuff. I really like integrated units, and my eyes have been glazing over while checking out the specifications and the innards of some of the new NAD stuff.

I would have to think there would be a lot of variables involved in making such a decision. Bottom line is the service may not be optimal for every person or piece of gear out there but I'm sure its a good fit for many, otherwise shops that offer this type of service wouldn't be around for too long.  

Not all classic designs are equal in sound quality performance and can be improved with better circuit designs.

Many modifying companies working on Dynaco, Hafler, Adcom and others have use the practice of using the basic design's chassis and transformer (transformers in the case of tube amplifiers) and other various components while introducing their own improved circuits. It can save considerable money since a large cost of a design is in the chassis, case work, transformers, heat sinks for SS designs..etc......

"Apparently all the guys whose genius designed these things were all wrong, or eclipsed or something"

There are many reasons why amplifiers (Tubes and SS) can be improved and it doesn't mean the original designers were wrong for their time or circumstances that might have influenced the original design.

miketn 

I understand there are people that play around with these amps.  Will extremely patient guidance I myself converted a Bogem MO 100 to El34's and beefed up the circuit.  You assisted me in re-cappng a Hafler preamp, and I'm aware of the various Dynaco circuit board changes, some that better and some that worsen the performance of that amp.

I'm also aware that not all classic tube designs are the best they could be, many are very cheaply built.  That is why I stripped the transformers from an old console and with Maynard help built an  very nice SEP last winter.  At least I had the decency to sue a new case for those old transformers.

However, what these guys are proposing sounds like wholesale slaughter.  Their claim is anything they do to any and all of these classsic amps is going to be way better than anything that is inside them.  That's nonsense to me.  I mean would you gut a pair of Marantz Model 9's, for example, and then have the balls to claim you put a better circuit in them?

They also seem to sneer at Class A/B. "Yes, we'll get rid of that right away because Class A is better" to paraphrase.  Really? No debate within the audio firmament at all on that? 

The phono and line amplifiers are converted to low feedback pure class A triode designs. The output and driver stages are changed from simple push-pull to fully differential amplifiers using either power pentode or full triode design.

Now I'm not sure what all of that stuff above means, but it's clearly not  a Dynaco Mark 4, or a Marantz 8b, or Scott X202b or...

I don't object to sprucing up an old design, but what is the point of simply gutting stuff.  For $2700 you can build a might fine amplifier, hey even monoblocks. Ones with transformers that could be would to spec. 

Tell me.  When they are done do they leave the unused tubes heaters hooked up so you can get that nice warm glow from those old Mullards and Telefunkens, and pretend you are are living in the "Mad Men" era.   Mad men, indeed.