I think UPS hates Klipsch

Paducah Home Theater

I'm a lucky guy when it comes to ups......my usual driver/deliverer, is very good. I've never had a package damaged. granted, it could be damaged before he gets it, but I've been lucky in that respect.

now, USPS....THAT'S A WHOLE NOTHER MATTER! :angry:

The lesson is yours to learn and its is spelled SKID. I know it costs more but it is much safer. Something that many simply refuse to acknowledge is that the cartons your speakers come in are not real shipping cartons even though Klipsch ships in them,(they are product cartons). A shipping carton is what you put your speaker in and ship them across the globe and they come put intact and a single layer of cardboard and some foam bits is not what it takes to make that happen. Shipping cartons get large and expensive they have multiple layers and real high density closed cell foam and you can drop your speaker off a loading dock with no damage to the contents. So if you/I/we take the least expensive route and use the smallest lightest package to save some money we take a chance that stuff will happen on the way. Here is a tip. The faster you ship the less handling your package gets the less it is handled the the lower the risk of damage. Slow shipping is cheap and your goods get handled way too much and are much more likely to get damaged. I know there will be stories of folks who had no problems, I have been lucky myself and unlucky as well. The biggest problem is when you have to depend on someone else to pack and ship things rarely get done well in those situations. I have shipped a fair amount of items and I have not had any not arrive in good condition but there has been a good dose of good luck to make that happen.Only once hav I received speakers packed as well as I would pack them and that was from one of the forum members here who owns a slew of Belle's in Texas. Factory cartons with a layer of 1/4" ply on a skid is pretty hard to damage. Best regards Moray James.

In addition to poor packing, as Moray suggests, I thinks what's up with UPS is a company that doesn't give a hoot about its customers along with some poorly trained employees who share the same attitude. Darn shame. I avoid UPS wherever possible.

• Like 2

I have to agree that the Klipsch packaging is no where near adequate, at least with the couple of new speakers I just bought. I can't really complain too much though as it landed me a fantastic deal on my new RC-64 II center with minimal damage at 40% retail!! :D  :D  My RB-81 II's arrived just fine but I bought those on eBay and the seller double-boxed them.

If you want to see good packaging look at the Sunfire CRM-2's. Little 8lb speakers that are individually boxed and encased in thick foam, then a pair is placed in a single box and then placed in another box! Three freakin' boxes for little tiny speakers!

Was there any damage to the speaker?

Best regards,

John

No, there's enough space between the box and speakers that they missed. Last time they got close on a RP-450C though.  What's scary is that the styrofoam doesn't go all the way around.  Like on these, you've got two end caps of styrofoam, and one 7" or so wide rectangle in the middle.  So there's this big space between the end cap and the middle support where there is literally nothing except a thin sheet of plastic between the cardboard and the speaker's wood, which would be fine in itself, but it happens to be where they keep stabbing them.  

IMG953122_zpsxdrzrpgq.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Most manufacturers play a percentages game in that they are willing to accept a certain % of damaged goods by the companies that move their products across the country or globe by providing the lowest acceptable standard of container costs. That's the engineer's job.

• Like 2

If you choose export packing they will wood box it and strap (band) it to a pallet. (Maybe) But you better break out your wallet for that. In 1965 all of our Fisher gear was shipped that way. (Yawn, how time flies)

JJK

Does Bob still have a say on things at Sunfire?

I don't believe so. He sold Sunfire to ELAN back in 2006? I believe and he stuck around basically as a consultant until just a few years back. I know he has been working with the owner? of ELAN with his new tube products as I believe they partnered up at one point to start Bob Carver LLC. I know he later sold the original tube designs to Emotiva who was supposed to start manufacturing his tube products but I heard they had a falling out? Since then Bob has started a new line of tube products that are very similar to the older offerings with new names and colors for much cheaper, not sure if guy from ELAN had anything to do with that or not though.

Sorry for the vague response, this is all just pulled from memory.

Last time I ordered a Klipsch item (SB-120 from Sam's Club), UPS left it on my front porch propped up against the wall so the whole world could see the brand. Glad the wind didn't blow it over.

Luckily, I live in a fairly honest neighborhood with a few retirees close by.

Edited by Mighty Favog

I bought mine back in early 1992 at United Audio which had a large presence in Chicagoland "Back in the Day" Long defunct.  Anyway they delivered directly from their warehouse and boxes are still undamaged.  They moved a lot of Klipsch many moons ago.

Best regards,

John

The lesson is yours to learn and its is spelled SKID. I know it costs more but it is much safer. Something that many simply refuse to acknowledge is that the cartons your speakers come in are not real shipping cartons even though Klipsch ships in them,(they are product cartons). A shipping carton is what you put your speaker in and ship them across the globe and they come put intact and a single layer of cardboard and some foam bits is not what it takes to make that happen. Shipping cartons get large and expensive they have multiple layers and real high density closed cell foam and you can drop your speaker off a loading dock with no damage to the contents. So if you/I/we take the least expensive route and use the smallest lightest package to save some money we take a chance that stuff will happen on the way. Here is a tip. The faster you ship the less handling your package gets the less it is handled the the lower the risk of damage. Slow shipping is cheap and your goods get handled way too much and are much more likely to get damaged. I know there will be stories of folks who had no problems, I have been lucky myself and unlucky as well. The biggest problem is when you have to depend on someone else to pack and ship things rarely get done well in those situations. I have shipped a fair amount of items and I have not had any not arrive in good condition but there has been a good dose of good luck to make that happen.Only once hav I received speakers packed as well as I would pack them and that was from one of the forum members here who owns a slew of Belle's in Texas. Factory cartons with a layer of 1/4" ply on a skid is pretty hard to damage. Best regards Moray James.

Shipping freight on a pallet is no guarantee against damage.  Stacking pallets on top of pallets is commonplace even if you wallpaper your boxes/crates with "Do Not Double Stack" stickers.  All freight companies also place large odd size heavy items that don't fit on standard 40 x 48 pallets on top of others pallets.  Freight trucks that are only loaded 5' leave too much unprofitable head space to not fill it and they all do.  

I ship freight all day every day and receive freight every day at my business - I am not guessing.  No amount of shipping instructions will change an industry as competitive as freight.

A word of advice when shipping:  Instruct the recipient to note damage to packaging / crate on the Bill of Lading when receiving even if you do not know if the item is truly damaged.  Take pictures prior to signing.  When the truck pulls out it is too late.

Edited by deep3shot

I'm just curious as to what is happening.  What are the hooks that were mentioned earlier?  Or are they really stabbing them with a forklift?  I buy all kinds of stuff online and I never see this kind of box damage.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I ordered some onkyo stuff from vans years ago that was to be at my house on a Tuesday. It never showed up because of a snow storm up north. That Friday we left for vacation for 6 days. I pulled in the driveway after the vacation and this big onkyo box is sitting in my front yard soaked form all the rain from the last several days. I took a lot of pictures as I unwrapped it (actually the cardboard just fell apart) but everything was wrapped in plastic and did not get wet. Everything worked and I still have it. I was pissed off but I guess everything worked out alright, But why would anybody leave expensive electronic equipment outside when I have a covered porch and a carport that is closed up on 3 sides.

My rant sorry I still get pissed about it.

• Like 1