"Is Tom Brady a Cheater?" "I don't believe so..........."

Bonzo

• Moderators

I knew this would come up sooner or later.

"The full-season suspension of Saints coach Sean Payton in 2012 suggests that Patriots coach Bill Belichick should have been disciplined in some way for his role in #DeflateGate. Based on the justification of Payton’s punishment, either Belichick knew about the scheme and should have stopped it or he didn’t know, should have known, and should have stopped it.

So why was Payton punished and Belichick wasn’t? The right answer perhaps isn’t that Belichick should be punished, too. The right answer perhaps is that Payton shouldn’t have been punished, either."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/12/exoneration-of-belichick-suggests-payton-shouldnt-have-been-punished-either/

Interesting.  I have not kept up with all the investigations and such because we are talking about letting air out of footballs.  That would make it the one millionth most important thing in my life.

It seems the league will spend a million dollars investigating air in footballs, to find one locker room attendant who texted another locker attendant about an alleged conversation with Brady, and THAT is the big "smoking gun."  That is NOT "preponderance of the evidence" in my court room.

Someone should be investigating why it took the NFL over a million dollars to investigate one guy apparently deflating footballs! 

Interesting.  I have not kept up with all the investigations and such because we are talking about letting air out of footballs.  That would make it the one millionth most important thing in my life.

It seems the league will spend a million dollars investigating air in footballs, to find one locker room attendant who texted another locker attendant about an alleged conversation with Brady, and THAT is the big "smoking gun."  That is NOT "preponderance of the evidence" in my court room.

Someone should be investigating why it took the NFL over a million dollars to investigate one guy apparently deflating footballs! 

Would you have any concern that Patriot employees were filmed removing their game balls from the secured cage and tampering with them? You obviously are not concerned that said employees texted about tampering with said game balls. Would you have any less concern if the NFL paid me only $300 to arrive at the same conclusion, in my cheap Mexican jalopy driveby investigation?

I do know that these game balls get used, and used hard. The NFL decided to run with twelve balls for each team to ensure that balls of a required pressure would be available for the entire game, and in the event of inclement weather, that balls could be removed from service without creating a shortage.

If you purchased four new tires from Firestone, and on the first day they were on your truck, you went out and drove the truck to the local Starbucks, and found out all four were down 3 psi below spec, you would be raising holy hell with the dealer.

Brady and the Pats knew where he wanted his ball inflated to, and they got them there by hook and by crook. Now they are going to pay.

• Like 1

Would you have any concern that Patriot employees were filmed removing their game balls from the secured cage and tampering with them? -

Sure I would.  I would discipline the offending employees and take steps to make sure it didn't happen again.  That could be something as simple as rotating employees charged with that task so no one person would do that.

You obviously are not concerned that said employees texted about tampering with said game balls.

It's not that I wouldn't be concerned.  It was ONE person texting to another person ONE time.  It would not surprise me if a ball boy inflated his own ego by bragging to the guys that he "talked" with his best bud Tom Brady every day.  At worst, it is one person's word against another.  Since I don't read minds, I want to see evidence, not speculation.

Would you have any less concern if the NFL paid me only $300 to arrive at the same conclusion, in my cheap Mexican jalopy driveby investigation?

Don't be taking cheap shots at Fords.  :lol:

. If you purchased four new tires from Firestone, and on the first day they were on your truck, you went out and drove the truck to the local Starbucks, and found out all four were down 3 psi below spec, you would be raising holy hell with the dealer.

This should be a question, not a statement.  "Would you be raising holy hell...?"  The answer is "no."  I'd take it back and have the tires adjusted properly.  There would little to no emotion other than a feeling of being slightly inconvenienced, but I do get your point. 

Brady and the Pats knew where he wanted his ball inflated to, and they got them there by hook and by crook.

I'm not naive, and I know you are probably right.  But when we are talking about depriving people of BIG money (I know a million is not much to you probably, but it is a lot to me!  ;) ) and reputation, I want to be completely fair, and that means evidence.  If the ball boy was texting Brady himself, if we saw Brady on video letting air out, or if other Pats officials would say they talked with Brady about this, THAT would be evidence.

Now they are going to pay. [/quote

We agree!  :D

Yes.  He knew the balls were underinflated and now he's a liar.

Wow, Brady should be glad I'm not his lawyer, I haven't convinced a soul:D

+++

One point I haven't seen addressed that WOULD be convincing to me, is what was the pressure of the practice balls Brady used everyday?  If it could be proven that the practice balls were under spec, that would convince me.

Then we could move on to the penalty phase, life in prison or firing squad?  :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

I saw a TV segment where several former NFL offensive players who have experience with NFL footballs were handed several footballs.  With near 100% accuracy they were able to identify underinflated balls by touch alone.  Tom Brady is a Hall of Fame caliber player.  His ability to identify an underinflated ball is as good as anyone's.  One must be extremely naive to believe that a player of his experience was not able to recognize underinflated balls.

Unfortunately for him, his skills as a liar are no match for his excellent quarterback skills.  Ask Martha Stewart, it's not the crime, it's the coverup.  Four games is fair; six games would have been better.

Pardon me . . . . a tear just struck my keyboard.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Would you have any concern that Patriot employees were filmed removing their game balls from the secured cage and tampering with them? You obviously are not concerned that said employees texted about tampering with said game balls. Would you have any less concern if the NFL paid me only $300 to arrive at the same conclusion, in my cheap Mexican jalopy driveby investigation?

I do know that these game balls get used, and used hard. The NFL decided to run with twelve balls for each team to ensure that balls of a required pressure would be available for the entire game, and in the event of inclement weather, that balls could be removed from service without creating a shortage.

If you purchased four new tires from Firestone, and on the first day they were on your truck, you went out and drove the truck to the local Starbucks, and found out all four were down 3 psi below spec, you would be raising holy hell with the dealer.

Brady and the Pats knew where he wanted his ball inflated to, and they got them there by hook and by crook. Now they are going to pay.

Obviously not a Patriots fan.

He requested the under inflated balls.  Stop the BS of whether he recognized it or not.  It was his personal order.

I was too harsh with firing squad.  Guillotine is more appropriate.

I agree.  There is no dispute the balls were underinflated.  In order to be naive enough to believe his pitiful lie, one must believe that he was unable to notice that those thrown under the bus were providing him with underinflated footballs.

Edited by DizRotus

• Moderators

I saw a TV segment where several former NFL offensive players who have experience with NFL footballs were handed several footballs.  With near 100% accuracy they were able to identify underinflated balls by touch alone.  Tom Brady is a Hall of Fame caliber player.  His ability to identify an underinflated ball is as good as anyone's.  One must be extremely naive to believe that a player of his experience was not able to recognize underinflated balls.

Unfortunately for him, his skills as a liar are no match for his excellent quarterback skills.  Ask Martha Stewart, it's not the crime, it's the coverup.  Four games is fair; six games would have been better.

Pardon me . . . . a tear just struck my keyboard.

The report said you could not tell the difference by touch. The 2 gauges used to check the balls at halftime were about .5 Psi different from each other.

The NFL knew about this for several games prior to the playoffs, and Indianapolis made a complaint about it to the NFL prior to this specific game.

They did nothing to address it prior to the game. It doesn't excuse Pats, et el, conduct in the least, but I think the investigation and penalties are more about the NFL's mishandling of the Ray Rice situation and trying to regain credibility.

wvu80

Brady and the Pats knew where he wanted his ball inflated to, and they got them there by hook and by crook.

I'm not naive, and I know you are probably right.  But when we are talking about depriving people of BIG money (I know a million is not much to you probably, but it is a lot to me!  ;) ) and reputation, I want to be completely fair, and that means evidence.  If the ball boy was texting Brady himself, if we saw Brady on video letting air out, or if other Pats officials would say they talked with Brady about this, THAT would be evidence.

I agree there is deprivation of big money.  I said this before but the Pats win this game 8 out of 10 times.  Unfortunately, they cheated, they didn't need to, but they cheated.  That potentially deprives the Colts organization of BIG money being able to make a very profitable Super Bowl appearence.  That also hurts their reputation as a certain caliber of a team.  This in part because one member of the opposing team went out of their way to break the rules and play with an advantage the Colts simply didn't have.  (attitude doesn't matter in guilt or innocence - but it's an aggravator in the court of public opinion that T.B. is so flippant regarding all this as he'd be the most worked up if Andrew Luck had turned these tables on his Patriots.) 

In text messages a Pats personnel identifies himself as "the deflator"; also tells his buddy to relax he's not going to espn...yet. 

Go to them with what? Look - it's circumstantial in part because Brady refused to cooperate with investigators, the Patriots denied a second interview with the personnel in question and they don't have subpoena power.  This isn't Watergate, it is a case of the cover up is worse than the crime. 

He'll get his penalty reduced, he got his ring, the only ding to him is that outside of Patriotnation his name is quite tarnished and it doesn't appear that moves his "needle" very much.