1976 La Scala Speakers

Terri

Only way to get those big things is to go get them yourself . By the time you box them and ship them your getting close to new ones I would think. If you can work out some sort of tag team deal get them to Kansas city I can store them till you get here. Just an idea. Rick

Boxed and stretch filmed onto a pallet would bring it close to a new pair? Wow even with 20%0ff retail, that would bring shipping to about $4000

Just my .02 worth

Mark

I don't know....Fedex just shipped my Cornwall Vertical and the original owner just dropped it off at Fedex.  They made a custom box for it (that cost about $110) and shipping for an estimated 110lbs was $98.00.   The LS will ship Fedex ground (they are well within the size limits). If the seller has the original boxes - that's a big plus - but if not, if done before the 30th of May - you get a 20% discount on all packing - I'm guessing about $120 to $130 per box for materials and make each one a separate shipment - you're looking at between a $105 and $200 per box (depending on where you live).  My Cornwall shipped all the way from Albuquerque, NM to NW Florida - thats a pretty good distance....arrived safe and sound.  

• Like 2

Andy, if they were done at the factory would everything behind the cloth be painted black

Most likely not...just left raw, but sanded...but you never know...if the customer specified them be painted ...then....

Hi Andy, I know this is exactly the way the speakers were delivered.  The builder who built their Music Room took my Dad to High Fidelity Workshop in Royal Oak (we still have the Klipsch pamphlet) and told him he needed these for his new room.  My Mom, who antiqued a lot of furniture, wondered how she never ended up painting and inking them like they did 40 years ago. I totally understand the filler as you mention, but the areas I was talking about appear to be part of the wood.  I know for certain these speakers have never been painted, stained, varnished or even oiled on the exterior.  The grills could have been a special order performed at the factory, but know for certain he did not do this after they came home.  Thank you for all of your time.  Terri

Hi, is it not within the realm of possibility to get better photos?  

Hi jimjimbo, I know I added a number of photos to your original request a couple months ago.  Could you please tell me what you mean by better photos?  Also, we are leaving town this morning and returning the middle of next week.  So, it will not be possible to add any photos until that time.  Thank you for looking.  Terri

The builder who built their Music Room took my Dad to High Fidelity Workshop in Royal Oak

Terri,

AH HA, That is the answer to the question I asked back when you first posted about these. That is where I got mine. Mine are exact twins to these except I put a clear oil wood finish on them. I still put another coat on them from time to time. Maybe 4 times over the OMG almost 40 years! GLWYS, someone is going to get some real gems.

Budman,

I would think you could remove the grill cloth and then fill and cover all the staple holes with veneer edge banding or another piece of molding. But of course if the inside of the bass horn is painted black that would probably be a nogo for the look you are seeking.

Somebody go get these. You won't be sorry.

Shipping those 160 lbs each no box each that's at least 420lbs total shipping weight. Then paying some one to make box and pack them.......OUCH. paying someone you trust to go get them with a truck..... PRICELESS!!!!!   Rick

Shipping those 160 lbs each no box each that's at least 420lbs total shipping weight. Then paying some one to make box and pack them.......OUCH. paying someone you trust to go get them with a truck..... PRICELESS!!!!! Rick
125 pounds each...

I can put two of them in the back of my 2007 Subaru Forester, which looks like a really small car. They travel well that way.

Bruce

• Like 1

Shipping those 160 lbs each no box each that's at least 420lbs total shipping weight. Then paying some one to make box and pack them.......OUCH. paying someone you trust to go get them with a truck..... PRICELESS!!!!!   Rick

I have to go over that way in the next couple weeks. I told Schu  and Willum who lives 25 minutes away from me I could pick them up in my pick up truck with a watertight cap. I could get them set to ship to Schu and Willum could pick them up or I could drop them off. I havent heard back from Willum

Mark

Terri's recollection of the speakers being delivered with grills in place, IMO, makes it more likely that they are unpainted beneath the grills. Terri's father was way ahead of the curve in the 70s to hire someone to build a Music Room. I love it that the builder took her father to High Fidelity Workshop (HFW) and recommended what to buy.

HFW, on Woodweard Ave. in Royal Oak, MI, was a very small place with essentially no inventory. If an item was larger than a cartridge, it almost always had to be special ordered. Terri's dad's La Scalas were almost certainly special ordered to the specifications of the "builder" who recommended them.

In the 70s, I put together a DJ biz to fund tuition. I was close to ordering four KDBR, decorator K-Horns in raw birch from HFW. If memory serves, they were about $800 each. I was also planning to order a Crown amp to power the K-Horns.

Due to being an impoverished college student, I instead purchased four factory-built plywood Speakerlab Skorns for $400 each delivered to Detroit. A Dynakit ST-400 amp further reduced the capital investment needed to launch the biz. After deafening adolescents in Southeast Michigan for a little more than a year, I sold the biz for $4,000. Unfortunately, the db levels produced by 600 watts (300/channel into 4 ohms) into 4 fully horn loaded speakers took a toll on my high frequency hearing, despite wearing silent Sennheiser headphones while the music roared.

As you may have guessed, I'm helping Terri find a worthy home for her Father's La Scalas. Having been around these forums for many years and having been involved in many transactions, there are a few "conditions" that I will recommend to Terri. Until she returns from the holiday weekend to indicate otherwise, I'll be the "bad cop" and state some of the conditions that I have recommended.

• until an offer is accepted, there is no sale;
  • after an offer (whether the asking price or a lower offer) is accepted, the "buyer" will have a reasonable time (tbd) to complete the sale, during which time higher offers will not be entertained; and
  • cash only with delivery/pick-up in Milford, MI.

To be clear, expressing an interest is not an offer. Calling "dibs" means nothing. Indicating that your cousin wants them and asking forum members to back-off is pointless. Money talks . . . everything else is Internet babble.

Someone will get these nearly pristine La Scalas at a fair price. By definition, if a buyer and Terri agree to a price it must be fair to both parties. You can contact Terri (or me) to make reasonable arrangements to bring cash to Milford to collect the speakers, during which limited time they will be unavailable to other "buyers." Or you can waste time suggesting conditions or making comments. While Internet chatter is taking place, a serious buyer, of which there are a few who have expressed intererst, will strike a deal with Terri and own these exceptional La Scalas.

If you snooze, or whine, you will lose this rare opportunity.

Have a great and safe Memorial Day Weekend. Please remember those who served and those who are still serving.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 3

Shipping those 160 lbs each no box each that's at least 420lbs total shipping weight. Then paying some one to make box and pack them.......OUCH. paying someone you trust to go get them with a truck..... PRICELESS!!!!! Rick
125 pounds each...

I can put two of them in the back of my 2007 Subaru Forester, which looks like a really small car. They travel well that way.

Bruce

I thought 160lbs was a bit too heavy - I know they didn't weigh over 150lbs. :) 

• Like 1

Well I was just guessing the weight but I did look them up . But if you box them and pack them.... then put them on a pallet I bet they would be close 400  for the pair. I have never weighed mine I would like to though. Has anyone ever weighed one to see ?

Well I was just guessing the weight but I did look them up . But if you box them and pack them.... then put them on a pallet I bet they would be close 400  for the pair. I have never weighed mine I would like to though. Has anyone ever weighed one to see ?

$400 to pack and ship.... both of them.....sounds about right. 

Hi Terri:  I too offer my sympathy.  It saddens me to think of your situation involving selling your dads LaScalas.  I was an employee at K&A in mid 76 and 77 and still own the last pair of LaScals built in 1976.  I can truly appreciate and understand how he must have loved those loudspeakers.  Good luck with your sale.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Larry

Hi Terri:  I too offer my sympathy.  It saddens me to think of your situation involving selling your dads LaScalas.  I was an employee at K&A in mid 76 and 77 and still own the last pair of LaScals built in 1976.  I can truly appreciate and understand how he must have loved those loudspeakers.  Good luck with your sale.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Larry

Thank you Larry.  He really did love his LaScalas.  We will find them a good home!