Radio Shack's not gone...

Marvel

Our local RS seems to still be doing good business. I stopped in today to see about some adapters and talked with the local manager.

RS/Tandy has been bought by another company (approved by bankruptcy court), and now has a deal with Sprint. They are going to start having products with the Realistic brand once again, keep having electronic parts. They are not going to have some things in their stores and the company is still getting input from owners and managers about what they would like to see (novel idea... Imagine asking those who deal with the public day in and day out).

What I didn't know is that they have been carrying arduino boards and kits (very cool!), and they have some Raspberry Pi products and more.

Where else can I go on a Sunday afternoon to buy some cheap capacitors and resistors? Plus, it's only a couple of miles from my house.

• Like 4

When I was talking with the manager about some of the stuff they sell, he said some things could be had online for less money with free shipping included. They are certainly aware of the problem, but want to focus more of what they can do.

If the price isn't much different, I would give them the sale and carry it home.

Bruce

• Like 1

How about stocking tubes?  Might suggest that but the youngsters there might not have a clue what you're talking about.  Remember the pretty Nova 8 speakers I bought from them.

Those days will never happen again!  It was nice being able to run over if I needed a tube for someone's TV, radio, or audio equipment when the wholesaler wasn't open!

Maynard

post-40520-0-42920000-1434488463_thumb.j

post-40520-0-04320000-1434488480_thumb.j

Unless they can compete with Amazon Prime and Parts Express then I see no real viable reason for them to be in business.

How about jobs in america, seems like a great idea  ;)

If I order a Dayton Audio DVS Subwoofer on parts express, Americans built it, Americans manage the website/warehouse to process the order, and an American Shipping company delivered it to me. The more i order from parts express, the more they will grow and hire more employees. Radio Shack is a defunct business model in which the overhead of a brick and mortar store causes higher prices for things I can order online, especially when most of the employees dont have the first clue about electronics anyway. If they revamped their stores, had employees that were knowledgeable and dont charge me $18 for an RCA cord then I would be more inclined to shop there. Besides, if I am going to spend $5 on RCA cords on Amazon instead, my other $13 will be spent in other sectors which employ other Americans.

• Like 1

Unless they can compete with Amazon Prime and Parts Express then I see no real viable reason for them to be in business.

If I order a Dayton Audio DVS Subwoofer on parts express, Americans built it, Americans manage the website/warehouse to process the order, and an American Shipping company delivered it to me. The more i order from parts express, the more they will grow and hire more employees. Radio Shack is a defunct business model in which the overhead of a brick and mortar store causes higher prices for things I can order online, especially when most of the employees dont have the first clue about electronics anyway. If they revamped their stores, had employees that were knowledgeable and dont charge me $18 for an RCA cord then I would be more inclined to shop there. Besides, if I am going to spend $5 on RCA cords on Amazon instead, my other $13 will be spent in other sectors which employ other Americans.

Meaning MORE American Jobs, Certainly you can see how the addition of even 1 brick and mortar store provides local jobs.  If that does not prove a good Viable reason for the store to exist Not sure what could..............Could drag this into a discussion about how competition helps keep prices reasonable as another viable reason to exist but I feel like Jobs is argument enough ;) 

Cheers :)  

• Like 3

Meaning MORE American Jobs, Certainly you can see how the addition of even 1 brick and mortar store provides local jobs.  If that does not prove a good Viable reason for the store to exist Not sure what could..............Could drag this into a discussion about how competition helps keep prices reasonable as another viable reason to exist but I feel like Jobs is argument enough ;)

Cheers :)  

Yeah Im going to stick to my guns on this one and I foresee a painfully long drawn out battle on economic philosophy over an audio forum. Someday perhaps we will have the proper venue for such a discussion involving beer and in person interaction.

Until then...

Cheers as well :emotion-22:

• Like 1

There were several RS in the Chicago downtown area and one on the north side. They all closed. I'm thinking that it is the rent and that there are plenty of cell phone stores in the area.

But there is a Guitar Center near me and I bought a TRS phone plug there this evening. Four dollars plus tax. They have a lot of electronics and cord / connectors.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

RD will have a Sprint branded store within their space, with a Sprint employee. New management is still juggling and working on the rest of what the store will do, along with reintroducing RS brands.

• Like 1

I dont think it will re-open once closed. I happened across a RS in a town about 10 miles from me that was going out of business. It was crazy, they would give you a bag and tell you whatever you can put in there, no matter what is was, the cost is $20.00. People were filling them up with phone cases and then putting on the bay. I then went to one about 5 miles from me and it was not going out of business and is still there. It seems they could have worked out a deal where the stores that were closing could at least give the ones not closing a good deal which would have been win-win. Not real sure the direction they will be taking but they better pay attention or they all will be gone.

I buy from them when I can but the items they have in stock are very limited here.

• Moderators

the shack near me was closed wonder if they will re-open

Unfortunately, no. Almost 1800 were saved when they were purchased out of Bankruptcy a couple of months ago. Prior to that sale the court approved the closing of about 1450 unprofitable stores.

RS tried to get their largest secured creditor to allow them to close down their unprofitable stores but they refused. They filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and the court approved the closing of about 1790 stores, and the sale of about 1780 that will continue to operate as the new RS.

They are linking with a cell carrier, which may be Sprint, and will be updating the stores in phases along the lines that Bruce mentioned.

The way to look at it that almost 1800 stores were saved. Without a buyer they would have all been closed.

The stores where they were blowing out inventory and closing are seperate from the new RS that continue to operate. They were divided in Feburary, the stores getting the ax had assets under the control of the court and approved to be liquidated. The new RS probably has more inventory then they really want and so didn't make any kind of an offer for the inventory. All of that inventory had to be gone by the end of the month in order to avoid lease payments.

The company was losing over a million a day going into bankruptcy, it is a miracle that any stores survived.

They are essentially a cell phone store that also carries parts, over 50 percent of their revenues had been coming from cell phone sales.

They were terribly mismanaged after 2000 and this will be the second time they will emerge from bankruptcy because they failed to keep up with the times. Maybe the third time is a charm.

Travis

• Like 1