first time try of horns, what klipcsh to try?

Jim Naseum

Some answers to ???

I have a100W amp... nice.

I have regular corners... not sure what special corners means.

I only want the total horn... Not standard woofers. Should have monster base!! Loll

The guys here with custom horn loaded subs and custom arrays of subs built in their listening space have monster bass.  Monster bass is not always accurate in a full range speaker and certainly has a different sound than what you will get from a horn loaded cabinet. Since you are not buying any subs, the Cornwall I,II or III or the Chorus or Chorus II is your best bet.  But since you're not familiar with horns, you may think you want one thing and once you get a taste, you may want to go in a different direction. Horns are about clarity, dynamics and the ability to produce very high outputs with tiny amounts of power to ensure low THD.  In most cases the bigger the mid horn, the better the results. So if you want AC/DC cranked to 9 with bass that hits you with a wave square in the chest, its a Cornwall or Chorus series.  If you want Jazz or Vocals that are so clear and dynamic that's you friends cant believe it, LaScala, K-horn or the Belles.

• Like 1

Some answers to ???

I have a100W amp... nice.

I have regular corners... not sure what special corners means.

I only want the total horn... Not standard woofers. Should have monster base!! Loll

The one and only Klipschorn fits this description - has monster bass, you have standard corners and they are sensitive as all get out! :);) !!!

• Like 2

If you want the full horn speaker experience, go LaScalla (or Belle) or the mighty Klipschorn. Don't be afraid of what some call a lack of bass with the LaScalla's, although they don't go quite as low on a graph as some, the bass is real and defined. For HT you may want a sub but for music, you will be comfortable with the effortless quick hitting bass. Reach out to a local forum member near you to hear for yourself first hand before jumping if you can. I absolutely love the bass in my Belle's but use them only for music. This summer I am going to build a horn loaded sub, but that is just because I like building chitt. It will be fun. I have had Cornwalls (which I liked very much) but prefer the bass from the Belles even if it technically doesn't go as low (if I had not seen graphs showing this, I would not have guessed it). Plus two grand will get you a very nice pair of Scallas maybe even change back.

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 2

The lascala model looks good. I look for used

Area search on your local CL for a pair of scalas, Norcal beater pricing comes in around $500 to $1000, for that kind of scratch if you dont like them or wish to go for Khorns you can flip them with zero loss of money.

• Like 2

Perhaps if you gave your location (just city & state) someone might volunteer to have you over for a listen.

The La Scala's have a special, very coherent mid-range, but cut off rather sharply around, say, 60 Hz or so.  The bottom half-octave of string basses and pipe organs simply disappear.  K-horns have the depth, to 30 Hz, but can sound a little non-linear to some in part of the lower middle range depending on the x-over.  They won't beat you up with "monster" bass, depending on what you want.

The K-horn is clearly tops in the view of Klipsch fans (read the thread from the last Hope gathering!).  I agree with auditioning if you can.

• Like 2

Do what alot of us do.......get-em all.....lol lol

So for my 2 cents thrown in the mix......when I want to get pounded in the chest with bass I'll power up my Chorus II's. The Chorus II's will pound out the bass like no other..imho....but you'll need more than 100 watts.... yea yea I know 10-20 watts gets em jumping.. but to bring out that wall out sound my big Carver TFM-55x will make those speakers come alive.. When those needles start jumping past that 300 watt mark it's like the flood gates of sound open up.....and the bass is of the chain....This combo for me is the best for that bass I so love...I have tried other amps with more power but that Carver will drive those speakers like no other "imho". I have bridged two Adcom 555II's for 600 watts at each speaker and the Carver still has that "tighter" harder hitting bass..

So that's my 2 cents in the mix...I love all my speakers....but for the "bass" it's the Chorus for me.....

(or if ya come across a set of KP-301's or KP-362's "grab-em")

MKP :-)

Long bch, koalafornia.

Well, i heard the mitey K horn last night finally. Only for an hour or so long enough that I could see what they sound like. Boy they at loud that much is clear. They were a little scratchy sounding sometimes with some songs that have lots of high sound. The base was loud and didn't always have a good thud but sure loud....to loud??? Lol!! They are also very huge!! Wife kept yelling turn it down that kids were watching a movie and so on that wich sound was also a little mixed in. OK not perfect but at least now I know what this big dog is all about but I think I will want too here the lascalas. You know you always expect something and it is something else!!! Lol

I'm sticking my Reference toe in obvious Heritage water here but why not a pair of RF-7's? The La Scalas are crap on bass, sorry. If you want monster bass there is no way La Scalas alone with quench that thirst. I've personally never been impressed with the K-horns stand alone bass either. Unless you have a speaker with an amplified sub built in, there is no way a stand alone speaker can hold its own against a powered sub for thump and depth. I quickly realized though that I wasn't satisfied with any speakers bass performance on its own and I added an amplified sub. That being said, when I heard the rf-7's they had very, very good bass on their own, RF-83's for that matter also. Both made in Hope as well. However, A LOT of what determines how much bass you get is determined by what your driving your speakers with. Anyway, just my thoughts.  

Do what alot of us do.......get-em all.....lol lol

So for my 2 cents thrown in the mix......when I want to get pounded in the chest with bass I'll power up my Chorus II's. The Chorus II's will pound out the bass like no other..imho....but you'll need more than 100 watts.... yea yea I know 10-20 watts gets em jumping.. but to bring out that wall out sound my big Carver TFM-55x will make those speakers come alive.. When those needles start jumping past that 300 watt mark it's like the flood gates of sound open up.....and the bass is of the chain....This combo for me is the best for that bass I so love...I have tried other amps with more power but that Carver will drive those speakers like no other "imho". I have bridged two Adcom 555II's for 600 watts at each speaker and the Carver still has that "tighter" harder hitting bass..

So that's my 2 cents in the mix...I love all my speakers....but for the "bass" it's the Chorus for me.....

(or if ya come across a set of KP-301's or KP-362's "grab-em")

MKP :-)

Not what I expected... From the Big horn. ... But this chorus keeps raising the voice here as the big banger!! Lol!! Just a regular speaker more or less with tiny horn teeter!! Carver amps... Yeah!! The Chris models are so much cheaper than the mitey horn to. But then once getting down to regular speakers they ain't much different than what I have now. Don't want the cost of subwoofers and to much weird sound from them. Thanks mister phily!!

My take is that you would like the Cornwall but it does not have the horn bass that you are looking for. I have both CW2 and Khorns. The CW has more of a punch than the Khorns do in the bass. Horns love tubes as they say here so you may not have been listening to a optimal setup for Khorns as it sounds like they were in a HT setup. There is nothing wrong with that but most HTs use SS, not tubes so you may have been hearing a little of the difference between the amps too.

• 1 month later...

Long bch, koalafornia.

Well, i heard the mitey K horn last night finally. Only for an hour or so long enough that I could see what they sound like. Boy they at loud that much is clear. They were a little scratchy sounding sometimes with some songs that have lots of high sound. The base was loud and didn't always have a good thud but sure loud....to loud??? Lol!! They are also very huge!! Wife kept yelling turn it down that kids were watching a movie and so on that wich sound was also a little mixed in. OK not perfect but at least now I know what this big dog is all about but I think I will want too here the lascalas. You know you always expect something and it is something else!!! Lol

The K-horn will have the cleanest, clearest bass.  Any scratchy highs will be more so with the La Scala, because the bass doesn't go down as far as it does with the Khorn to balance the highs.  Khorns and La Scalas have the same tweeters and midrange drivers and midrange horns.  If the sound you heard was too scratchy, maybe the tweeter or mid drivers had been damaged.  Both speakers will ruthlessly expose any distortion in the original recordings, so if you have a big collection of iffy CDs or worn, old vinyl, you might not want either one.

If your receiver, preamp, or pre/pro has bass controls with good range (+/- 12 dB or more) the Khorns will produce monster bass from nearly any recording, including bass shy ones -- just crank up the bass.  But, don't crank it up too far with good recordings, because even K-horns can be destroyed (I heard of one that blew its woofer with M. Jackson's Thriller, boosted bass, and high volume).  To get the good bass, you need corners without obstructions for 48" beyond the corner, with the Khorn pressed into the corner all the way against a rubber gasket (if you get them, we can tell you how).  The Khorn is known for realistic bass, with lower distortion than Cornwall, etc., down there, but not necessarily "monster" bass.  One of PWK's old data sheets depicted the Cornwall as having 3 times the Frequency Modulation Distortion of the K-horn, at lower volume to boot!  But, Cornwalls have bass thump that sounds good to many people with Rock.  Yet one of the most famous Rock/Dance venues in New York city had 4 K-horns -- one for each corner of the loft -- with McIntosh amplification.  People have told me that it produced very clear bass that could be heard blocks away (an exaggeration?).

All of the bass horns I know of begin to attenuate the bass below about 40 Hz (the La Scala and the Belle don't go that low).  There is very little bass below 40 Hz on most recordings.  The K-horns produce soft, but clean, bass well below 40 Hz in a good room.  Mine go to 30 Hz, with some response below that.  The leading edge of bass attack -- like that of drums -- is usually between 80 Hz and 200 Hz, but the deep bass resonance that shakes the room is usually below 80 Hz, down to as low as 20 Hz (or lower with some pipe organ recordings) -- where the Khorns need help, or have stopped responding..

Subwoofers: 1) I use one with my K-horns .... for music, I cut it in at about 40 Hz, to allow the cleaner Khorn to handle the bass down to there.  That way, I don't get the weird subwoofer sound I think you are referring to  2) Good subs can be turned up (a little) to produce a powerful bass underpinning  3) horn loaded subs have the reputation of being the best (at least those that go low enough) but that would be a whole other research project.

With my K-horns + the sub, I can get bass that throws my work table out of square, shakes the floor, and in our former home, rattled windows on the other end of the house.

Edited by garyrc