Speakers VS Headphones, Your opinions

I'll be honest and admit that even though my headphones sound really great (Sennheiser HD 598), I tend to feel.....well....a slight bit paranoid when I have them on.  I can't hear the phone if it rings, the smoke alarm if it goes off, someone knocking on my door, etc, etc....OK, so I'm sure that's the whole point (to a degree), but I guess I'm something of an "awareness junkie", and with headphones on, I am only aware of that....Oh, and I'm sort of a control freak too....so there you go, I've got that going for me.... I love, love, love my speakers and my music.

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

If I wanted somebody to scream in  my ears I'd re-marry. 

Thebes, you are truly a classic....and I mean that in the nicest of ways... 

He is a classic, not sure about the nice part :P

If I wanted somebody to scream in  my ears I'd re-marry. 

Plus they fall off when you bob your head and are terrible when you are playing air guitar, leap into the air and either get pulled to the ground or snap the wire.

I submit you try the volume knob  :P

I've yet to hear a headphone setup that I can truly get into.    *dodges the bricks, rocks, and flames*   :D

this requires some explination, Ipod with earbuds need not apply  :P

I'll be honest and admit that even though my headphones sound really great (Sennheiser HD 598), I tend to feel.....well....a slight bit paranoid when I have them on.  I can't hear the phone if it rings, the smoke alarm if it goes off, someone knocking on my door, etc, etc....OK, so I'm sure that's the whole point (to a degree), but I guess I'm something of an "awareness junkie", and with headphones on, I am only aware of that....Oh, and I'm sort of a control freak too....so there you go.  I love, love, love my speakers and my music.

Paranoid huh, Mayhap some former life transgressions sneaking up on you ?  :D

I know other folks like that, although i suspect some open back designs are better than others I can hear more than I want to with my  He500's I do get to pretend I cant hear the wife at times  :)

• Like 1

This thread is an interesting read.  I'm one of those with both...mainly for listening at night so as not to wake up the house.  I do enjoy the clarity and separation in my AKG K702s, but I also love cranking up my CF-3's when I can too.  I'd lean toward my CFs, just for the sound stage and (for lack of a better word) slam.  I listen to a lot of rock and really like the "feel" that I get from the speakers (not sure if that makes any sense).  I've had a few Senheisers and other cans, but the 702s have been my favorite so far and I do really enjoy listening to them as well.  Interested to see how the thread progresses though, thanks for bringing it up Joe!

Edited by kapsnb01
  • Like 1

As a working musician I am on the road a lot, and that means headphones for the hotel. Headphones can provide detail and depth, but somehow always leave me looking forward to listening at home on the big horns. They just fail to fully bring me into the sound.

This thread is an interesting read.  I'm one of those with both...mainly for listening at night so as not to wake up the house.  I do enjoy the immersion into my AKG K702s, but I also love cranking up my CF-3's when I can too.  I'd lean toward my CFs, just for the sound stage and (for lack of a better word) slam.  I listen to a lot of rock and really like the "feel" that I get from the speakers (not sure if that makes any sense).  I've had a few Senheisers and other cans, but the 702s have been my favorite so far and I do really enjoy listening to them as well.  Interested to see how the thread progresses though, thanks for bringing it up Joe!

sure thing, I get a kick outta these type discussions

As a working musician I am on the road a lot, and that means headphones for the hotel. Headphones can provide detail and depth, but somehow always leave me looking forward to listening at home on the big horns. They just fail to fully bring me into the sound.

I understand that, Horn presence is hard to beat, direct radiating need not apply either on your head or the floor  :)

Joe, an interesting alternative to phones (assuming they are not needed to contain the sound) is to use a pair of small monitors in an extreme near-field arrangement.  I'm talking about having the speakers around 3-4 feet apart on a table, shelf, or whatever is convenient, and positioning the listening chair a similar distance from them.  The cost of such speakers can be far less than a pair of phones and, if one can accept a lack of some low frequency extension, the soundstage and immersion in the music can be something to behold.  Such speakers, even when inefficient, can be driven by low power tube amps because the proximity allows a fairly loud level (if desired).  I've experimented with my wife's KLH 20s (about as inefficient as you can find) in this manner and it's amazing just how well they can perform.  Although I haven't heard them, I've been told that these cheap Pioneer speakers can offer a huge "bang for the buck" when used with even flea power tube amplifiers:  

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker#S62kk3Y5s6Vg3dtQ.97

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436562719&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+SP-BS22-LR

Some of the ham operators I know who don't like to use phones (claiming that after a while, especially during contests, they feel like their heads are in a vise) employ a pair of small monitors on their desk and listen to the phantom center image they provide.  

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic

I can't hear the phone if it rings, the smoke alarm if it goes off, someone knocking on my door, etc, etc..

Well if you're listening through speakers and you've got your system turned up to a proper volume you wouldn't hear any of that stuff anyways.

(Sometimes I hear the neighbors, but they've got to be knocking really, really loud. That's when I know it's time to hide, just in case they're bigger than me.)

Joesportster,

Aw man.  *throws down my earbuds in frustration*

Honestly, I have nothing against head-Fi.  It's become a HUGE market, and I fully understand why so many people are into it.   But....

I dunno man.  I admit that there are plenty of cans, headphone amps, and combos that I haven't heard....  so I'm not going to close the book on that segment of Hi-Fi.  Just the same, I've yet to hear a setup that's been able to strike an emotional chord.  Whether it's listening to Senns best headphones on an expensive Woo Audio system or experiencing a humble Grado / iFi combo - I always leave the experience feeling cold. 

I suppose that's because to me, the musical experience isn't just limited to our ears.  It's a visceral experience as well.  Music interacts with everything around you.  And with headphones, I just feel like I'm listening to a pair of transducers that are only a couple mm's from my ear. The illusion, and more importantly, the emotion of a musical event just isn't there for me. 

Who knows, maybe one day I'll find my head-fi huckleberry.  Until then, I'm gunna continue enjoying my big, bulky loudspeakers.   :D

Edited by Zero
  • Like 1

Joe, an interesting alternative to phones (assuming they are not needed to contain the sound) is to use a pair of small monitors in an extreme near-field arrangement.  I'm talking about having the speakers around 3-4 feet apart on a table, shelf, or whatever is convenient, and positioning the listening chair a similar distance from them.  The cost of such speakers can be far less than a pair of phones and, if one can accept a lack of some low frequency extension, the soundstage and immersion in the music can be something to behold.  Such speakers, even when inefficient, can be driven by low power tube amps because the proximity allows a fairly loud level (if desired).  I've experimented with my wife's KLH 20s (about as inefficient as you can find) in this manner and it's amazing just how well they can perform.  Although I haven't heard them, I've been told that these cheap Pioneer speakers can offer a huge "bang for the buck" when used with even flea power tube amplifiers:  

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker#S62kk3Y5s6Vg3dtQ.97

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436562719&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+SP-BS22-LR

Some of the ham operators I know who don't like to use phones (claiming that after a while, especially during contests, they feel like their heads are in a vise) employ a pair of small monitors on their desk and listen to the phantom center image they provide.  

Maynard

Hey Maynard, I have done the near feild thing many times (not to the extreme you discuss) I love the results. with the right equipment it can present a super deep and wide Sound Stage (one of my dislikes with the Khorn is you have to use the back and side walls which for me always limited the feel of depth.  as far as monitors I still cant seem to be happy with the lack of low end and always seem to reach for the volume in an attempt to increase the weight  :)

Just one question

how can you Piss Of The Neighbors with headphones???

I let mark take care of the neighbor piss off work, He seems to like it  :P

Joesportster,

Aw man.  *throws down my earbuds in frustration*

Honestly, I have nothing against head-Fi.  It's become a HUGE market, and I fully understand why so many people are into it.   But....

I dunno man.  I admit that there are plenty of cans, headphone amps, and combos that I haven't heard....  so I'm not going to close the book on that segment of Hi-Fi.  Just the same, I've yet to hear a setup that's been able to strike an emotional chord.  Whether it's listening to Senns best headphones on an expensive Woo Audio system or experiencing a humble Grado / iFi combo - I always leave the experience feeling cold. 

I suppose that's because to me, the musical experience isn't just limited to our ears.  It's a visceral experience as well.  Music interacts with everything around you.  And with headphones, I just feel like I'm listening to a pair of transducers that are only a couple mm's from my ear. The illusion, and more importantly, the emotion of a musical event just isn't there for me. 

Who knows, maybe one day I'll find my head-fi huckleberry.  Until then, I'm gunna continue enjoying my big, bulky loudspeakers.   :D

I get that, Headphones are an intimate medium, it has taken me a long time to feel like I can live with Headphones over speakers

• Like 1

For a period of about 10 years I travelled extensively and leaned pretty damn hard on my CD Walkman / earbud combo (circa 2001).

Obviously, they can't shake everything in the entire house like kick butt speakers can, but there's no denying the characteristically linear phase response, and pressurized bass of headphones always left me wanting more out of a typical stereo.

Horns and time-alignment cured that one.

When chip amps hit the portable market I purchased a Sansa Clip+ to replace the aging Walkman.

Sound-wise now it's the best of both worlds, whether at home or on go. Finally to the point where I feel like I am no longer compromising either way, and enjoy both methods of listening immensely. :emotion-22:

post-40059-0-95880000-1436611799_thumb.j

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

After I got my basement lounge set up last summer and pieced together a nice part vintage/part modern audio setup with Klipsch Cornwall and Heresy speakers making up the full compliment of a 5.1 system (plus SW of course), I decided I wanted a nice pair of headphones to use late night or other quiet times around the house.  I consulted on this forum because I could not stand most of the cans they had locally at Best Buy, etc., and I did not want anything that had thin wires made for a phone/pad.  I settled on the Grado RS2e and love them.  I think the sound is incredible.  I would alternate depending on my mood....sometimes doing stereo through the phones, sometimes stereo through the Cornwall fronts, and often full system stereo where the same signal is sent to both the font (Cornwall) and back (Heresey) speakers which creates a sound stage that I just love in my room.  Recently I replaced my more modern preamp (Outlaw Audio 975) which had a headphone jack with a McIntosh MX119 which does not.  So, I have not been listening to the phones lately, and I miss them a lot.  I'm trying to decide upon a headphone amp to hook to the MX119.  Bottom line is I love the sound through the phones.  FWIW, I was reading a recent interview with Greg Allman where he was saying that headphones were the best (i.e., his favorite) way to listen...