Conspiracy Theroy- Windows 10

derrickdj1

The masses have decided that the value of privacy was just a myth... In fact we don't care. It required modern technology to flush that truth out. Amazon is now successfully selling a listening device that you place in the room and it is ON 24/7 and will take orders or answer questions without having to speak directly into it. Ha ha.

• Like 1

Best part of this thread so far is big stew got me playing some Pink Floyd  :D

Seriously though IMHO apathy will be one of the main contributions to the fall of the USA as we have known it. When the people care less and less about Privacy, Freedom, Service etc... there is no reason for things to change / improve. Govt can already count on people to blow off the loss of many freedoms in the false sense of security 

this could turn political so I digress, carry on with the tongue in cheek :D

i dont think people are apathetic about privacy. they just decided they didn't need it as much as they thought during the dystopian era of 1984, brave new world,  and such. they are leveraging and selling their priovacy and so far, they like the deal. they discovered there is no viscious tyrant at the back end,. only advertising agencies begging for eyeballs. kinda stupid acyually.

• Like 1

i dont think people are apathetic about privacy. they just decided they didn't need it as much as they thought during the dystopian era of 1984, brave new world,  and such. they are leveraging and selling their priovacy and so far, they like the deal. they discovered there is no viscious tyrant at the back end,. only advertising agencies begging for eyeballs. kinda stupid acyually.

Good assessment, I think.

The masses have decided that the value of privacy was just a myth... In fact we don't care. It required modern technology to flush that truth out. Amazon is now successfully selling a listening device that you place in the room and it is ON 24/7 and will take orders or answer questions without having to speak directly into it. Ha ha.

I just have to take issue with your comments. It's incorrect that people don't care about their privacy. People do care about their privacy, they're just too lazy to work around the free giving of their privacy. This comes on the heels of the general population not giving a schit about their country because giving a schit requires effort (more effort that a keyboard requires). This exercise of laziness doesn't show instantaneous results so lazy people think nothing of it. Fact is, the results rear their angry head later, at a time when it's too late to do anything about the earlier lazy action without suffering. Then we can point our finger and blame someone else for things that we ourselves actually caused because of our own lazy a$$ selves.

Keith

• Like 2

Gates did not become the richest guy in the world giving stuff away, just waiting for the "Hook".
You can still BUY Windows 10, justlike you can still BUY OS X for the Mac. The upgrade is FREE for one year.

Doesn't anybody read what they are doing.

I upgraded my old Dell Optiplex 755 (from 2007) a couple nights ago. It was a flawless update. Everything works fine and the interface is good. Just wish I had a touch screen.

Microsoft also makes a ton of money on Office, the same way Adobe's killer program is Photoshop.

Bruce

• Like 1

^ Agreed, people seem to think that Microsoft just makes operating system. They totally omit the fact they make phones, tablets, PC's, Xbox, software, enterprise software, networking solutions, subscriptions, authentication policies, benchmarks (similar to THX), have their hand in things like car manufacturing, aircraft manufacturing, construction...so the people who are all confused at a free update really need to check and read into what Microsoft is. I say again, Microsoft's profitable sales have not been from Operating Systems since probably the XP days or even before that.

I tried the Amazon Echo for 1 week, it is now back at Amazon "full refund" I used it only when I was home and awake. Otherwise it was unplugged. Thought it was cool at first than relized it is still in it's infancy. This whole thing is a race to see who gets the bragging rights to the best Digital Assistant the major players right now are Siri, Alexa, Cortana and Google Now. Facebook is looking into this venture as well.

• Like 1

I tried the Amazon Echo for 1 week, it is now back at Amazon "full refund" I used it only when I was home and awake. Otherwise it was unplugged. Thought it was cool at first than relized it is still in it's infancy. This whole thing is a race to see who gets the bragging rights to the best Digital Assistant the major players right now are Siri, Alexa, Cortana and Google Now. Facebook is looking into this venture as well.

I

just got back from a demonsxtration of "HOUND" - and it far more advanced than Siri, Cortana, OK Google. Not release to public yet, but watch out, it is a killer.

We have a professor who is a die hard Apple fan, but told me if he was using Windows he would change immediately. I thought the earth had tilted a little on its axis when he told me that.

You should go here to learn how to turn OFF some of the settings that invade your privacy:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

Bruce

I think that whole effort is misguided.  I don't not see much use beyond getting the forecast or looking up a phone number.  Maybe a few other things, but I don't see any big markets for this kind of functionality.  When you get more complicated than the weather, you have to realize that search results will contain myriad hits, many of which are irrelevant.  It will still take a human to process the hits and select the one that is desired.