Musical Sub vs HT Sub

A1UC

Before I purchased my current speakers I was in the middle of having a custom tower built which would of had a 10" woofer in the cabinet with DSP along with separate plate amp to power it . The other speakers would be powered separate . I was going to use all top notch drivers and the total price of 7k done wasn't bad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont get me wrong the RF 7 's I had I loved the tight punchy bass it was just right but the highs sucked

For HT I dont care but not for my 2ch that horn would drive me nuts , im on 4 hrs of listening this morning already and it sounds just right to me

Edited by A1UC

Before I purchased my current speakers I was in the middle of having a custom tower built which would of had a 10" woofer in the cabinet with DSP along with separate plate amp to power it . The other speakers would be powered separate . I was going to use all top notch drivers and the total price of 7k done wasn't bad .

Well holy heck!  If you've got even close to $7,000 in your two channel speakers, no wonder you don't think a sub is needed!  :lol:

Well holy heck!  If you've got even close to $7,000 in your two channel speakers, no wonder you don't think a sub is needed!  :lol:

That's just the cables :ph34r:

• Like 1

Dont get me wrong the RF 7 's I had I loved the tight punchy bass it was just right but the highs sucked

For HT I dont care but not for my 2ch that horn would drive me nuts , im on 4 hrs of listening this morning already and it sounds just right to me

You didn't swap crossovers or at least do the resistor mod like everybody else? I like my RF-7ii's at low level's, it's like they automatically have a built-in loudness button. I mentioned rock before but to be honest I primarily listen to acoustic mexican rock such as the Gypsy Kings and Rodrigo y Gabriela on them.

I just don't understand why somebody would snub their nose at something like an Acoustic Elegance 15 for both music and HT. They have a copper voice coil and therefore have some of the lowest distortion in a sub out there. Efficiency is real nice because of this as well. You can use them down to 10 hz yet due to the low distortion people are using them as high end midwoofers. There is a specialty builder who is using them in an uber-expensive tower setup, and by uber-expensive I mean the aforementioned $13,000 pair wouldn't hold a candle to the price, I'm pretty sure I was told these are up around 200-250 grand a pair. You can model them along with popular 18's used in home theater and they're louder and go just as low, without the impedance curve going through the roof at the upper end of the spectrum. They have as much xmax/xmech as some of the popular 18's.

So what's the problem? Why can't multiple AV15's in a sealed box be great at both? This driver is extremly highly regarded among those in the know, yet both self proclaimed audiophiles and HT fanatics still both snub their nose at the 15" size alone. Too big for one and not big enough for the other.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

A 15 in. driver is very versatile.  Big enough to pack some puch and small enough to put in an acceptable box design.  Excellent for a dual driver system or something like this Raptor System with 8 fifthteens. http://www.bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Raptor%20Systems.html

A Raptor System will definitely excel at music and HT with Big Bang, he, he. :P

Edited by derrickdj1