Thebesis Grumpitis

thebes

So two weekends ago I go to one of the The Capitol's, hell, the Country's, premiere performance venues, Wolf Trap, to see Rodrigo y Gabriella. I  spring for the big bucks. First row seats behind the box seats. 

Wow! Great concert!

But...

But...

Butt heads galore.

I guess I'm acting my age (for a change) and I'm so glad I  got to see a lot of music before those creeps in the audience came along.  It really has become almost impossible to enjoy a concert these days thanks to all those pudheads who can't imagine a shared group experience, having to claim it for themselves and their small, small minds.

All right Thebes you're thinking, get to the point, what are you going on about now.

Comeonnow lads,  who else could it be but most foul vermin upon the land, owners of smarty pants phones. Who else could it be. Who else could be so crass, so self-absorbed, so, so...

...needy and pathetic as those buttheads who can't be polite (remember polite), can't be sensitive (remember positiveness), can't share the moment (remember moments when you had to actually absorb the experience and the music instead of instantly sharing the "moment" with your other fellow buttheads).

At one point the musicians invited a hundred or so fans onto the stage, a rare privileged I'm thinking. Surprise! They all took it as selfie moment,.  After all you can't be in the moment, gotta record the moment. Doofus interruptis and thank god I didn't have a machine gun handy at that moment (something about a standing court order placed on me after another the cell phone run amok concert)

Fact of the matter is  that most of the people here reading my post own smarty pants phones and are probably equally guilty.  Given the collective love of music on this site, it's a sad, sad thing to contemplate.

So enjoy your next narcissistic concert.  I can only hope that god in her infinite wisdom puts me in charge of all concert venues, and then I will...

Edited by thebes
  • Like 1

Time has advanced, Tech has advanced, Music has advanced, People, it's the Dam people who treat a concert like they are "Clubbin".

I always paid for the best seating, now, payolla and free tickys are what put those azzholes around us.

Do you think they paid for their tickets? iv ask idiots before, in front of me, a very friendly question of asking them what they paid?

No, somebody gave them to us, so there is your Zero respect for being there. 

• Like 1

Last "smart" phone I remember was wired to the wall.  There was no such thing as "dropped" call and if you were cut off you worried that either something horrible had happened to the person you were talking to or WWIII had broken out.  Few will comprehend what I just said.  Most of us are dead or getting that way.

Just wish I could occasionally finish a call without suddenly realizing I am talking to myself.

Dave

• Like 2

Time has advanced, Tech has advanced, Music has advanced, People, it's the Dam people who treat a concert like they are "Clubbin".

I always paid for the best seating, now, payolla and free tickys are what put those azzholes around us.

Do you think they paid for their tickets? iv ask idiots before, in front of me, a very friendly question of asking them what they paid?

No, somebody gave them to us, so there is your Zero respect for being there. 

too true. Great comment.

• Like 1

So enjoy your next narcissistic concert. 

Going to see Heart tomorrow. At the reception and meet & greet with Ann & Nancy Wilson, no cellphone pictures allowed. Which is fine with me…pointing a camera at a person is kinda uncomfortable for me.  Now, if they want a photo with me…i may allow it.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Most of us are dead or getting that way.

Not quite. Practically every business (even the "online" ones) still employ state-of-the-art land lines. I've found myself strongly considering going wired again, simply for the absence of latency which is very pronounced and irritating when the conversation is of the utmost importance. Now, if only hard lines weren't the galactic call-spam magnets that they are.

Millennials Thebes.   The successors to the Boomers.  God help the rest of us.

Wrong generation. <_< And yes, God help the rest of us who have to deal with all the economic and environmental blow-back from the self righteous "boomers."

Please, take that unabated sense of individual entitlement to the grave with y'all.

This thread reeks of Speed Stick and Old Spice.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Got my first cell phone in 1990 doing a contract job for MetroCel, one of the two cell phone providers in the DFW area at the time.  It was a 3 watt bag phone and highly reliable.  There were only 12 cell towers in the DFW metro area but I still remember dropping calls only in a single spot on the way home.  Easily predictable, so I just avoided calling when headed down that hill.

Not sure why 3w phones went away.  Pocket phones are all 500mw.  Not surprising they aren't reliable even though you can't swing a cat without hitting a cell tower now.  We got an extra line with our Sprint account.  It's much more reliable than our pocket phones which require a booster at the house.  My assumption is that it is possibly a 3w device as it is 7" square and has an antenna. 

Dave

Who'd have ever thunken that "defensive driving" would include watching out for idiots who text and drive?  I see them every day on the roads.  I look in my rear view mirror as I approach stop lights and stop signs. There they are.  Texting.  It scares me.  All I can do is hope they see me.

Have you noticed how many people are texting at stop lights? I wonder how much time is wasted waiting on these goobers?

However,

Don't forget that the gearworks of our current economy is "mobile."

The fact that the phone for with you everywhere means that commerce never stops, never sleeps.

Compare the volume of shopping done at midnight now versus a generation ago!

Just last night, around 11:30, I found myself buying 3 new CDs based on music I was listening to on Pandora (Lisa Gerrard). So, three little businesses that sell used CDs for new orders in the middle of the night!

But, the downside for me is the notifications. They are constantly screaming for my attention. I resent that interruption! But, I imagine young people are already adjusted to that!

I have a love-hate relation with "mobile."

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I see so many drivers with their head down obviously looking at there phone as they drive past.  It is insane!  

My phone is in perpetual "silence" mode.  I'll get to it when I get to it.  

I admit that it took one of my kids to wake me up a few years ago when I instinctively picked up my phone while driving.   It didn't seem to be a big deal back when all we could do is talk on a mobile phone.  I could dial and answer the phone without even looking at it.  Now, that is almost impossible with touchscreens and the fact that voice dial almost never calls the right number.  Siri is fricken deaf... I think she is just messing with me and enjoys making me mad.  Hmmm.... maybe Siri has been to a few too many heavy metal concerts.

• Like 1

I got to tell you this is the primary reason we quit going to concerts couple years now.

I never thought twice about cost(s) of an event, hell we do not do too many, so i figure, we are going to have one hella night out.

Normal cost always included dinner/sometimes a limo,up to $600 for tickys + or -, who cares? you only live once.

The current generation of Clubbin personna ruined those outings, will still small venue, but the arena days have passed.

P.S. We have the "Cell Junkies" out here by the Droves.

Edited by minermark

This is sad trvth.  "We are already Borg."  Or maybe it's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the Final Chapter." 

Don't know, but even sitting watching TV in my house these days includes the bright glow from the PAY and my son's cell phones as they stare into them for whatever reasons.  It sucks.  I am seriously considering just going for a cheap phone next time with no "smart" features.  I use them VERY rarely and never attempt typing on those tiny screens except when absolutely necessary. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

The bluetooth on my Windows phone is great.  It almost never messes up with voice commands, including people's names (e.g., "Call John Dingleberry").

When texts come in, they are announced, and you are asked if you want to listen or ignore.  If you listen, you are asked if you want to reply, call the sender, or if you are done.  If you reply, you speak.  It does ok-ish on replies, but they need to be simple.  If the reply will be too detailed, sometimes, I choose the "call the sender" option and just talk hands-free.

I have not noticed this level of ability with most other bluetoothed phones in cars these days, and yet, my Windows phone is kind of cheap and "old school."

Edited by Jeff Matthews