Do NOT, I Repeat, Do NOT go to Ohm Speakers web site

twistedcrankcammer

Hey everyone!

Like Many here, I belong to several other audio sites as well.

On a Vintage Audio Page I belong to on Facebook, a member scooped up some used Ohm brand speakers, so I visited the Ohm Speaker home web page to check out their specs.

These Jack Holes somehow automatically attached something in my facebook, and now, almost everything I open in facebook has a little saying "Don't Buy Ugly Speakers" with an arrow under it that takes you directly to their home page.

I have emailed these Jack Holes direct email on their home site twice that I want this to stop, and they have not responded to me and it is still happening.

I intend to make EVERYONE I can aware of these Jerks on ALL Audio Pages I follow!

Roger

• Like 1

I dont have one single issue with facebook... its a great source for friends to keep track of each others daily lives who dont happen to live close enough to see those friends on any regular basis.

I dont have ad issues, tracking issues or privacy issues. One needs to learn the ins and outs of FB.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

Hey everyone!

Like Many here, I belong to several other audio sites as well.

On a Vintage Audio Page I belong to on Facebook, a member scooped up some used Ohm brand speakers, so I visited the Ohm Speaker home web page to check out their specs.

These Jack Holes somehow automatically attached something in my facebook, and now, almost everything I open in facebook has a little saying "Don't Buy Ugly Speakers" with an arrow under it that takes you directly to their home page.

I have emailed these Jack Holes direct email on their home site twice that I want this to stop, and they have not responded to me and it is still happening.

I intend to make EVERYONE I can aware of these Jerks on ALL Audio Pages I follow!

Roger

The issue isn't with Ohm speakers. Your web browsing is tracked via cookies/etc, and websites such as Facebook use that data to present ads which are relevant to your current browsing habits. Companies buy ad space within that advertising platform and so they get a saturated presence in your attention span.

Install an ad blocker plugin for your browser and you won't see those ads in Facebook. Or clear your browsing history/cookies for an immediate quick fix. 

Either way, there's not nefarious at play it's just modern advertising tactics.

• Like 2

Either way, there's not nefarious at play it's just modern advertising tactics.

Yeah I thought it was a virus or something at first, but this sounds like perfectly normal advertising.  Spend much of any time on it and you'll see stuff you were just searching for on your browser.  Usually mine is filled up with gun stuff.  What sucks is when you look up something for somebody else like one time and suddenly you're seeing ads for it.  I don't mind ads if it's something I'm interested in but just because I look up the total dimensions of a 75" TV doesn't mean I want to buy one.  

• Like 1

Guest thesloth

You guys haven't been running adblockers for your browsers? That is a an essential add on IMHO!! 

I think I get much less internet infection because I only run Linux. I don't even have any Norton or anything on here. Remember to clear your cookies for web browser frquently.

You guys haven't been running adblockers for your browsers? That is a an essential add on IMHO!! 

If the Home Depot wants to put a table saw ad in my facebook feed like what just happened, I don't have a big enough problem with it to do much about it.