Really Old Rock Bands--Geriatric Tour

rebuy

The Stones were too old to tour 30 years ago.  i saw their "Farewell Tour" back in 1981.  In fact, I was at THIS VERY show...

During the Los Angeles Coliseum stops on the tour, the band played a Friday and Sunday show and USC had a football game in between on Saturday. As a televised football game, viewers could see the full stage set-up and often field goals would land on stage at the East end zone. Two of the three opening bands, George Thorogood, and The J Geils Band were received well, but the third act, a still somewhat unknown Prince barely got through two songs before being booed off the stage.

As one that was there...Prince was very crude. He told the audience to reach over and J**K Off the person next to them.  That's when the crowd started booing loudly and continuously.  The promoter came out and scolded the crowd, until he was ran off the stage as well.

Some still have it...HEART (just saw them twice this summer and very good shows)

Some have new singers that keep them in the "worth seeing" category ... Queen (saw them twice last year) and Foreigner.  Saw a You Tube of Al Stewart and he sounded pretty good.

• Moderators

The Stones were too old to tour 30 years ago. i saw their "Farewell Tour" back in 1981. In fact, I was at THIS VERY show...

During the Los Angeles Coliseum stops on the tour, the band played a Friday and Sunday show and USC had a football game in between on Saturday. As a televised football game, viewers could see the full stage set-up and often field goals would land on stage at the East end zone. Two of the three opening bands, George Thorogood, and The J Geils Band were received well, but the third act, a still somewhat unknown Prince barely got through two songs before being booed off the stage.

As one that was there...Prince was very crude. He told the audience to reach over and J**K Off the person next to them. That's when the crowd started booing loudly and continuously. The promoter came out and scolded the crowd, until he was ran off the stage as well.

Some still have it...HEART (just saw them twice this summer and very good shows)

Some have new singers that keep them in the "worth seeing" category ... Queen (saw them twice last year) and Foreigner. Saw a You Tube of Al Stewart and he sounded pretty good.

I was at that exact same show also with about 10 very close friends from college. They opened with under my tumb, I will never forget it.

Some Girls was a great tour.

Have wanted to pull the trigger on doing this

http://bluescruise.com/?page_id=4168

Living where I live, we have day cruises as well as several day long cruises we can take and they have groups as well as dinner included. I've been on maybe 40-50 of these day cruises with groups from Jazz, Rock, Spanish, Club, Blues, and Freestyle. Some are big name groups and some not so big name.

I personally would not go to see some of the older groups anymore as to me seeing Mick Jagger running around isn't the same as when I saw them doing Steel Wheels. I was only 11 when they did their 1980 tour, but did buy the album. Eagles, Foreigner, Journey, Elton John, Billy Joel, and a few others have lost their luster with me going to see them.

I was at that exact same show also with about 10 very close friends from college.

And you didn’t say Hi???

I tried to, but you were transfixed on George TGood

you know what is funny Travis?  I told that story for years about the guy getting booed off stage…it wasn’t until Prince got super popular that i realized that he was the guy that we had seen. 

we left the coliseum and walked to the gas station where we’d paid $20 to park…and found the cars were all pinned in. In addition, there was a VW Beetle blocking the opening to the street.  There were about 10 people standing around mad (gas station folks had told us that we’d have access to get out) finally we all picked up the VW and started moving it…LAPD came by. The officer rolled down the window and said, “just don’t leave it the traffic."

• Like 3

Last night, I saw Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band.  It was a great show.  The keyboard player was Greg Rollie from Santana, one guitarist was Steve Lukather (5-time Grammy winner) from Toto and the other guitarist was Todd Rundgren.

Richard Page, the singer from Mr. Mister played bass, the percussion/sax player was Warren Ham, of Bloodrock and Kansas, and the second drummer was Greg Bissonette.

At first, I wondered why a second drummer was needed, but it was because Ringo was down in front at centre stage singing about half the time.

The band did some of Ringo's old Beatles songs, along with some of his new ones, and each band member did a few of the songs he was famous for.  Steve Lukather accompanied Greg Rollie on Evil Ways, Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen and Oye como va, and he sounded as good as Carlos Santana.  All the players were good, but Steve impressed me the most.

Unlike the rock concerts from many years ago that started 45 minutes late, this started just after its scheduled time of 8 pm and finished at 10 pm.  I guess the old guys on stage and in the audience don't have time to mess around anymore.

Yes, many in the audience had totally white hair.  It made me feel a bit young.  I remembered seeing lots of older folks the last time I saw Pink Floyd, then I realized that was back in 1994, and we've all aged since then.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1