Are we alone?

Nismo

Given the overwhelming vastness of the universe, I think the odds of there being other sentient beings within this universe, are extraordinarily in favor of such an occurrence. There are several possibilities, one is that their technology is so overwhelming we cannot understand any attempt by them to contact us. Another being we are so far below them on the evolutionary scale, we are just not that interesting to them.

If even a tiny percentage of the planets we have calculated to exist in just the Milky Way galaxy are inhabitable by some form of life as we know it, the number is astronomical. Lord knows how many other forms of life could be represented within this vast scope.

Many of the ancient sites have compelling & massive structures that defy the known engineering & construction capabilities of their time. For example with Puma Punku, the Incans who occupied the sophisticated complex, didn't even take credit for building it. By their accounts, it was built for them in a single night.  

For me the most fascinating is Gobekli Tepe, the recently discovered complex (buried more than 20 feet under the sand) in Turkey. Gobekli Tepe changes everything, in that predates both Stonehenge & Ancient Egyptian culture by 6000-to-7000 years. It even predates ancient Sumeria (the supposed cradle of civilization) by 5000 years. The sophisticated architectural site at Gobekli Tepe covers over 20 acres & has countless massive rings featuring mega pillars sculpted with precision. Pretty impressive use of mathematics & planning, especially since language & the first writings are attribute to the Sumerians...  5000 years later.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/gobekli-tepe/mann-text

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/?no-ist

http://www.crystalinks.com/gobekli_tepe.html

It amazes me how far we have progressed in so little time
Not me...we're still killing each other, ripping each other off, being jerks to each other...we may be able to invent stuff; but, we're still pretty stupid.  Aint' I a ray of sunshine?   

Although we need to tone that back some, a Utopia would be very generic and lifeless. Good comes with Evil on Earth, no matter what. 

• Like 1

Not me...we're still killing each other, ripping each other off, being jerks to each other...we may be able to invent stuff; but, we're still pretty stupid.  Aint' I a ray of sunshine?   

Although we need to tone that back some, a Utopia would be very generic and lifeless. Good comes with Evil on Earth, no matter what. 

It's a strange fact that war has probably driven a lot of technologies that we see and use today.

yeah--without evil we wouldn't know what good is.

if aliens are so smart why do they abduct the stupidest humans?

side note:  just remembered the best Twilight Zone episode ever...Sommerset Frisbee.  he was the biggest liar and some aliens believed everything he said so they abducted him.

Edited by BigStewMan

Not me...we're still killing each other, ripping each other off, being jerks to each other...we may be able to invent stuff; but, we're still pretty stupid. Aint' I a ray of sunshine?

Back to C.S. Lewis.  In "Perelandra Trilogy," his early and big point was that the reason we hadn't seen other intelligences yet was that we were "quarantined" by the top level until we got past it.

Really an interesting thought.

Dave

C.S. Lewis was a great writer.  I liked his book The Great Divorce...gave a copy to a friend and he read a few chapters and said, "what was this guy smoking when he wrote this?"

Another good one is the Screwtape Letters...until you see yourself when the demons are talking about how to be effective. 

I would assume that the most common "non-human" intelligence out there, is computational or programatic using quantum phenomena as processors. e.g. computer programs left behind as an echo of other dying intelligences. We might actually be encountering them right now at the edge of our quantum physics investigations. 

I doubt very much that "creatures" will be our first encounter with intelligence. With the exception that we might find microbes of some kind here and there. But intelligence on the order of human intelligence, just statistically speaking, would more likely be programs. 

According to this guy, who has tons of vids on those from other worlds,  the ET's have no interest in the things or peoples  of our world, and earth has been put under quarantine from other races because it is such a dangerous and unwelcoming place to visit. 

Edited by shiva

But intelligence on the order of human intelligence, just statistically speaking, would more likely be programs.

To a great extent, ALL intelligence is a "program."  We pose problems, take in data, and solve things from taking a dump to building a reactor.  Not sure how relevant that is.  By definition, whatever is at the top of the heap intelligence wise would be a program so advanced it would solve problems in zero time and all of them at once.  But that starts us down a road that we can't go here unless it remains a purely scientific discussion...which IS possible.

Dave

But intelligence on the order of human intelligence, just statistically speaking, would more likely be programs.

To a great extent, ALL intelligence is a "program."  We pose problems, take in data, and solve things from taking a dump to building a reactor.  Not sure how relevant that is.  By definition, whatever is at the top of the heap intelligence wise would be a program so advanced it would solve problems in zero time and all of them at once.  But that starts us down a road that we can't go here unless it remains a purely scientific discussion...which IS possible.

Dave

By program, I mean it's not a biological entity with characteristics of form as we usually think of "aliens." A program running on "bits" (not literal) strung throughout universes. It could be searching, cataloging, broadcasting, or who knows what?