10,000 wax cylinders digitized and free to download

Schu

A friend of mine worked at the Edison Hisoric site in Orange, NJ. They had different artists come in and record on wax cylinders, then transfer back to a digital format for cd release. While testing, my friend played his '30s National steel guitar. They liked it so much they decided to use/keep it.

Bruce

Hardly anything like 10k as well over half are awaiting digitizing.  However, an incredible journey to another time and technology.  I am amazed at the quality of some of these.  I was just listening to "I'm Going Back to Dixie" and marveling at the balance between the singers and the near perfect image of the band with all instruments evenly represented.  I'll bet an attempt to do this today would be a miserable failure.  These engineers had mastered a totally unforgiving medium.  I am equally sure that by 1908 there were audio hobbyists sharing tips and tweaks and the best recordings...and arguing about the best materials for horns, needles, and tracking weights.   

This recording would have been considered "audiophile" IMHO.  This is a wonderful collection and they've done a wonderful job of digitizing these without messing around with them. 

Dave

Edison used different kinds/sizes of horns depending on what was being recorded. Very interesting how they fine tuned the technology. He and others tried different materiels for the cylindrs as well, but i guess most folks know this.

Bruce

Isn't it interesting that around 35 years since it was first mooted the "laser" turntable or some other non-mechanical method of playing analog recordings has yet to be perfected?  Granted, not a lot of demand for it anymore but as demonstrated here there are untold millions of old records yet to be digitized.  I mentioned a few years ago that I thought it should be possible to digitize a recording the same way we do photographs.  Scan it at very high resolution then let a computer "read" the groove information.  A complex program, for sure, but one that is conceivable and so possible.  Such a program could easily separate impulse noises and such and would eliminate the mechanical noise of the stylus against the groove wall entirely. 

I read back in the very earliest days of digital audio (70s) that it was believed that stereo information was encoded on acoustic recordings that a computer could recreate.  This is due to the time/phase relationships due to the distance and angle from the horn of each instrument.  That would be interesting, indeed, and one would think we'd have the horsepower today to achieve it.

Dave