Low cost DSLR cameras

The Dude

Mirrorless is NOT the answer. There are always compromises. Mirrorless cameras take a lot of battery power to keep the electronics up and feeding images to the screens. Those images are also delayed and the cameras take longer to autofocus than DSLRs. Watch any college or pro football this weekend? They are all up and down the sidelines with those good ole DSLRs. Those guys are the best and use the best. Like I said, there are always compromises and that is as true as ever with camera technologies. 

• Like 2

I still shoot black and white with a 35mm Minolta with interchangeable lenses and a 2 1/4 Nikon. I dig black and white format. I keep looking at upgrading to a digital DSLR and it will probably be Nikon as the lenses will (should) be interchangeable with the old model

Colter might be the guy to ask or Youthman, that's Colters line of work and Youth has a great eye to go along with his skill

Just my .02

Mark

• Like 1

They are all up and down the sidelines with those good ole DSLRs.

Right. There is no argument that for sports, a DSLR with those massive high speed long lenses is the only tool worth having. But those rigs will weigh in at over 6 pounds. And one must question whether they want to lug a 6 pound camera around. I had friends with those rigs who eventually had to have a special neck bracing camera strap. Landscapes, street photography, family photography, travel, can be done exquisitely with a lightweight mirrorless camera. So, the old adage applies, "get the right tool for the job at hand." 

• Like 1

My brother has a nice Canon DSLR, but on his last two vacatios overseas, used a smallr point and ahoot. Said it just got to be too much hassle carrying a) the gear around. At home, taking pics of the grand kids, the big rig comes out.

Bruce

• Like 1

I wonder about the "good camera" statement.  For people who serious shutterbugs, that could be getting up near the professional range.  My guess is that your wife is not at that level.  Just something above a cell phone or point and shoot.

What do the learned people here think of this one? The price is right in the target range, with some left over.  You can buy her the telephoto lens for the wedding anniversary or b-day.  Cameras are great that way because accessories make good follow-up gifts.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030209-REG/canon_9126b003_eos_a_rebel_t5_dslr.html

WMcD

I wonder about the "good camera" statement.  For people who serious shutterbugs, that could be getting up near the professional range.  My guess is that your wife is not at that level.  Just something above a cell phone or point and shoot.

What do the learned people here think of this one? The price is right in the target range, with some left over.  You can buy her the telephoto lens for the wedding anniversary or b-day.  Cameras are great that way because accessories make good follow-up gifts.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030209-REG/canon_9126b003_eos_a_rebel_t5_dslr.html

WMcD

There is a local camera shop here in town that has that same one for the same price.  Which I like as it allows me to purchase locally, they even have some package deals, hopefully better one on Black Friday.

I wonder about the "good camera" statement. For people who serious shutterbugs, that could be getting up near the professional range. My guess is that your wife is not at that level. Just something above a cell phone or point and shoot.

What do the learned people here think of this one? The price is right in the target range, with some left over. You can buy her the telephoto lens for the wedding anniversary or b-day. Cameras are great that way because accessories make good follow-up gifts.

WMcD

A nice camera, but will the initiated realize how limited this lens is?

The Rebel T5 is compatible with the full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses, and is paired here with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens. This lens offers wide-angle to standard focal lengths, with a 35mm equivalency of 29-88mm. It is a versatile lens that can focus as close as 9.8".

End

An aperture of f/3.5 to f/5.6 is nearly a fixed aperture lens! Like in a Brownie camera! Is never suggest that to someone who wants to explore photography techniques for great interesting photos. Even beginners need the right tools.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Edited by jo56steph74

I think (and maybe I'm wrong)  Duder wants us to suggest specific cameras -- rather than us pointing our what is wrong with cameras at the below $500 price point (which I'm sure is correct) and saying that there are compromises  (also correct).  And telling him to consider five manufacturers and styles and then, Duder, shop around. It seems to me this is not what he is asking for.  Am I coming on to strong? Duder can tell us.

I'm not being contentious, just saying that he probably needs three or five choices from us with comments on what is good or bad.

Here is what seems to be a rival of the Canon.  Again, we have the same aperture range issue.  I get the feeling it might be a common feature at this price point.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023353-REG/nikon_1532_d3300_dslr_camera_with.html

Again, my guess is that if he buy a new unit, he gets a warranty and return rights.  I'll grant you that used can be a bargain, but also a quagmire, particularly for the first time buyer and gift giver.

Therefore, maybe the good folks here will post suggestions at the price point with their comments and suggestions. Smile.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

Okay, here is another.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/982534-REG/pentax_10905_k_50_digital_slr_camera.html

Or with the single "starter" lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/982527-REG/pentax_10894_k_50_digital_slr_camera.html

We don't know what Duder's wife might think is a make or break feature. Some of that may come after she uses it.

The more expensive Pentax package comes with an extra lens and therefore can be used for sports and nature shots of animals, etc.

The use of AA batteries can be important.

But no Wi-Fi.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

I'm really interested in the SL-1 from the very first post as it looks like a great, smaller DSLR at a reasonable price. I like the fact that it uses a rechargeable battery pack instead of standard batteries and SD cards are cheap and plug straight into my laptop. It gets really good reviews as well.

• Like 1

I will keep my spill short and simple.  If you want an entry setup, look at Nikon as its entry level "kit" lenses are better than Canons.  However, if you think she may continue this as a hobby, the entry level Canon bodies are great and the (top of the line) Canon L series lenses are more affordable the Nikons upper glass.   If weight is an issue for anyone, then you're not serious about great images and should stick with a pocket camera.

• Like 1

William, you hit it right on the nose.  Do I expect anyone to do my homework? No,  I can do home work and read reviews, like you had mentioned I would like to hear on what features are good and why, along with what I may or may not be missing out on a sub $500.00 camera.

Thanks for you time and recommendations.

I'd recommend checking out Pentax SLRs.  Most of them are weatherproof, so you don't have to stop shooting if it starts raining.  The user interface is more user-friendly than with many other cameras, and the image quality is great.

For pro use, Canon and Nikon have a greater choice of specialized lenses, but for everyday and occasional pro use, the Pentax lines of lenses and accessories includes nearly everything you could ever need.

Here's some info on the Pentax K-50.  It's only $349.95, and will do anything a beginner or intermediate photographer would want.

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/k-series/k-50/

Here's the whole K-Series DSLR line, with prices:  http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/products/k-series/

Most Pentax DSLRs come with an 18-55 mm "kit" lens, which takes good pictures and is weatherproof, but it's a good idea to spend a bit more and get a lens with a longer zoom range, like the 18-135, which is also weatherproof and is able to produce closeups more easily, and is not much larger or heavier than the 18-55.

Some Pentax lenses.  The DA range is medium level.  http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/products/lenses/da/

• Like 1

The Pentax uses the APS-C sensor as well. I've always liked their cameras. After my first Minolta fom the '60s, I got a Pentax. I used it for years until I handed it on to my older son. Other than it using a threaded lens mount, it was a great camera. Great glass for the money.

Bruce

• Like 1

I dream of the day when buying a full sized sensor camera is possible for under $500. That day hasn't come. RIght now I use a Canon 5D MKIII with a full frame sensor and a Canon 7D with a cropped sensor. Both are awesome cameras but that full sized sensor buys you so much. Its the most impressive camera I've ever owned, but its expensive. 

Maybe a used 7D would fit the bill? I believe one could be found for near $500.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-7D-18-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-W-IS-28-135mm-Lens-/151867459021?hash=item235c0185cd:g:phYAAOSwhcJWMpzu

Those Pentax look great, thanks for the info.  Someone had mentioned something about double a batteries vs a battery pack.  Do you guys prefer one or the other?  I purchased a Sony HD camcorder a couple years back and upgraded the battery pack.  The battery pack seems to die before I run out of sd card space, so to me it would be nice to just swap out some batteries.  But then you walk around with a  pocket of spare double a's 

A long time ago I had a Pentax 6 x 7 with a lot of extra stuff. What I liked best was when I took the picture it went "caaaajunnnk" so loud that everybody could hear it and new that the picture had been taken. This was one bad *** camera. Not for ladies.

JJK

• Like 2