Pioneer CL score ?

Matthews

So I saw these listed and thought, "well those are cool".  Thought it over throughout the day.  I need another set of speakers like I need another hole in the head, right?

Well, for $60 I just could not stop thinking about them.  Yep, I broke down and bought a pair of vintage Pioneer CS-99A for mere nickels :)

post-36834-0-77140000-1449191818_thumb.jpost-36834-0-37780000-1449191830_thumb.j

What would you have done?

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 4

Should be easy flip for 300

Yup, I looked them up to see what others were asking for similar, it became a no brainer very quick :D

Let's us know how they sound.

Probably put some power to em' this weekend :emotion-21:   Very interested to see how they compare...

Sure, make a crazy a$$ purchase then go to probably the only place where everyone will tell you that you did the right thing! :D

Go very easy on them this weekend. If you start full tilt, it may look like a confetti canon went off.

You should be able to flip those and cover part of you next venture!

Like all of the others wackos here, I think you did what you had to do! Good score!

• Like 2

So I saw these listed and thought, "well those are cool".  Thought it over throughout the day.  I need another set of speakers like I need another hole in the head, right?

Well, for $60 I just could not stop thinking about them.  Yep, I broke down and bought a pair of vintage Pioneer CS-99A for mere nickels :)

attachicon.gifcs99a-1.jpgattachicon.gifcs99a-2.jpg

What would you have done?

Well, back when I went down the same rabbit hole that you've gone down, I would have purchased them too! There are many others on here that have gone much further than I have, but at one point, I couldn't keep up with the number of speakers I had acquired (all great deals that I couldn't pass up), and I still have a lot of gear that I just don't have the room for that many set ups, so be careful about how deep you go. : ) It's a lot of fun while you're doing it!!
  • Like 1

I hooked these up for a listen this morning. They have a nice sound to them.  Certainly nothing compared to my Chorus but nice.  Good clear mids and highs, decent down low.  No rattles or other odd noises.  Nice score for 60 bones. 

Listed them yesterday, lets see if anyone bites.  Already nearly 100 hits and a handful of watchers.  I think the only thing that will hamper the sale (flip) is not willing to ship.  If they don't sell local, just keep em' for someone in need (budding audiophile friend).  :emotion-21: Sand and refinish = SWEET

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pioneer-CS-99A-speakers-/181952272513?hash=item2a5d335881:g:o~IAAOSwf-VWYxQ~

Edited by Matthews

I hooked these up for a listen this morning. They have a nice sound to them.  Certainly nothing compared to my Chorus but nice.  Good clear mids and highs, decent down low.  No rattles or other odd noises.  Nice score for 60 bones. 

Listed them yesterday, lets see if anyone bites.  Already nearly 100 hits and a handful of watchers.  I think the only thing that will hamper the sale (flip) is not willing to ship.  If they don't sell local, just keep em' for someone in need (budding audiophile friend).  :emotion-21: Sand and refinish = SWEET

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pioneer-CS-99A-speakers-/181952272513?hash=item2a5d335881:g:o~IAAOSwf-VWYxQ~

That link took me to my (Dave) Ebay Active Selling page.

I didn't even know I had an Active Selling page.  B)

+++

Those speakers would be perfect for somebody wanting a nice retro looking set of speakers with decent sound.

• Like 1

Yep, link fixed, I could see the actual ad.

+++

The limitation of the pictures is that they do not really do justice to the beauty of the lattice work of the grill.  There is a texture to the wood grill, along with the 3-D look combined with the pleated material behind it that gives the speaker a really nice, pleasant, warm look.  If you haven't seen them in person, it's hard to get a feel for how pleasing they are to the eye, at least to me.

• Like 1