La Scala rehab, part 2

Matthews

The things I get myself into??? :wacko:

Another pair of Scala's, next in line for a complete face lift.  Sand them completely down to raw wood, Cherry stain and LOTS of high gloss poly.  Yes, I am a glutton for punishment!!!

post-36834-0-88540000-1453569408_thumb.jpost-36834-0-19860000-1453569418_thumb.j

These cabs are in much better shape than the last pair. 1st thing of business, get these babies all taken apart and haul them to the shop.  WooHoo :P

• Like 1

They get nicer with every pair you buy! What are the particulars with regard to year of production, drivers, crossovers etc.

If you would have put grills on the last pair, you would not have had so much heart burn over the mismatched horns!

Plus isn't this part 3?

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 2

They get nicer with every pair you buy! What are the particulars with regard to year of production, drivers, crossovers etc. If you would have put grills on the last pair, you would not have had so much heart burn over the mismatched horns! Plus isn't this part 3?

post-36834-0-03700000-1453571742_thumb.jpost-36834-0-66860000-1453571747_thumb.jpost-36834-0-52940000-1453571756_thumb.j

Ha, yes I suppose you are correct, Sir :)  -  round 3  - ding ding

Mookie, after the fact, I came across another K-400, no seam.  A deal I just could not pass up.  It is yours if you like.  Perhaps that seam is driving you bonkers :blink:  We know it would have me...

post-36834-0-06300000-1453572184_thumb.j

• Like 1

those should have the highly desireable solder terminal dual phase plug K-55V's.

Indeed they do.  Kind of surprised me when I went to test with the meter.  My thoughts were, "hmmm, this is odd?"

OMGosh!!!  Too funny "Tasdom"

Joking aside, congrats on the new purchase. Those look really nice.

• Like 1

those should have the highly desireable solder terminal dual phase plug K-55V's.

What does that mean, "Frzninvt"?  Not sure why these would be more desirable.  I prefer the spring loaded terminal.  Is there a difference other than the connection type?  Are they more valuable?

post-36834-0-34660000-1453585062_thumb.jpost-36834-0-31980000-1453585069_thumb.j

Thanks,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

What does that mean, "Frzninvt"?  Not sure why these would be more desirable.  I prefer the spring loaded terminal.  Is there a difference other than the connection type?  Are they more valuable?

attachicon.gifK55V-1 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gifK55V-2 (Medium).jpg

Thanks,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

The drivers with spring terminal had a problem. The later version, identified by the soldered terminal, fixed this problem with a redesigned phase plug.

• Like 3

Interesting. I was under the impression that the solder terminal driver was the earlier version. Thanks.

I am fairly certain that I am remembering things correctly .... but you never know

Here is a good overview that Dean wrote on the differences.  It seems that the dual phase plug version with the solder terminal had a short life as it was replaced with the ceramic K-55-M.

the new PD5Vh and K55X is superior than the k55v push pin by the way -

The new PD5 IS the K-55-X, they are the same driver. Though the current driver has soldered terminals, it has a single phase plug and is identical to the original driver with the spring loaded terminals. Many are now assuming that since the new driver has the soldered lugs, that it is the same design as the driver that saw very limited use in the early 80s - it is not. The dual phase plug version of the K-55-V was quickly replaced by the EV K-55-M, which is basically the same driver from a performance perspective. I don't know how long Klipsch used the dual phase plug Atlas PD5-VH/K-55-V, but it wasn't long - maybe even only a year.

The K-400 (as well as the 600 & 700) collapse the verticals and provide enough "squeeze" to get the response up to 5.8kHz. There is a sharp drop in response that begins a little after 4kHz, before quickly recovering and then rapidly climbing back up to nearly 6kHz. When Klipsch released the dual phase plug version, PK didn't think the improvement in performance would be noticed by most. I can hear it, but it's subtle. People saying that better performance can be had by dropping the crossover point are over simplifying things a bit, and are forgetting that though PK had numerous opportunities to do this, he didn't.

There is also a vast difference between a first order midrange filter that uses an autoformer and what Klipsch is currently doing -- a lower crossover point using steep filters with NO autoformer for the purpose of getting better phase behavior and producing better polar response. Changing a capacitor value and adding a coil doesn't do either of those things, in fact, the phase response gets worse, and the sonic signature is now dominated by the tweeter instead of the midrange, at least, that's what I hear.

• Like 1

I was referring only to the K-55V drivers (and not to the much later k-55-X). There are a number of things that don't make sense in the above post. The soldered K-55 V's (with the re-designed phase plug) were around for many years - they are not uncommon. 

But the bottom line is that the soldered K-55V (soldered and with the fancier phase plug) is the preferred version of the K-55. My memory may have slipped on this, perhaps DJK or someone more know knowledgeable than me can clarify this.

Edited by PrestonTom
  • Like 1

I was referring only to the K-55V drivers (and not to the much later k-55-X). There are a number of things that don't make sense in the above post. The soldered K-55 V's (with the re-designed phase plug) were around for many years - they are not uncommon. 

But the bottom line is that the soldered K-55V (soldered and with the fancier phase plug) is the preferred version of the K-55. My memory may have slipped on this, perhaps DJK or someone more know knowledgeable than me can clarify this.

The K-55V Solder terminals are worth twice as much as the push pin ones.

dean sells them for $300 vs: $150, but they can be had for a lot less if you are willing to watch EBay and wait :)

Roger

• Like 1