Why Is Marijuana Banned? The Real Reasons Are Worse Than You Think

MyOwn

2 hours ago, oldred said:

I read somewhere that pot really effects long and short term memory....what were we talking about?

Forgot my name

If you are mellowed out, relaxed, and in a state of lower than normal cortical arousal, what you perceive may not consolidate (encode) from true short term memory (approximately the first 2 minutes, +/-, before the definition was distorted by the media) into long term memory.  But I doubt if there is any negative effect on LTM, or STM themselves.  As to consolidation, it may work well enough when high, because people (some people, at least) tend to have vivid memories of their experiences while high.  I agree that dose controlled edibles are are the better alternative.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

^^^^My kids know about me, both are Awesome Kids, both have their own beliefs and we are Family...Peace to All...

Same here, for a very long time now, but all three are 35+. 

Now all that's in the past....

• Moderators
2 hours ago, garyrc said:

If you are mellowed out, relaxed, and in a state of lower than normal cortical arousal, what you perceive may not consolidate (encode) from true short term memory (approximately the first 2 minutes, +/-, before the definition was distorted by the media) into long term memory.  But I doubt if there is any negative effect on LTM, or STM themselves.  As to consolidation, it may work well enough when high, because people (some people, at least) tend to have vivid memories of their experiences while high.  I agree that dose controlled edibles are are the better alternative.

Funny you should mention that. 

http://media.jamanetwork.com/news-item/long-term-marijuana-use-associated-with-worse-verbal-memory-in-middle-age/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Interesting.  So there may be something to it.  On the other hand, their prior long term use was associated with poorer verbal memory from the list of words.   Associational research is less convincing than research that has a manipulated (not "found") independent variable.  Correlation does not imply causation, only the possibility of causation.  Perhaps the group who used had worse verbal memory before they used.  The classic example of this state of affairs is illustrated by a British study that found that people who took Latin when in school scored higher on cognitive tests later on.  The faulty conclusion was that "Latin polishes the mind."  Another investigator found that the intention to take Latin.in school was just as related to high cognitive performance.  The Latin group was higher functioning before they took Latin.