"Encryption -- A Right of Privacy?"

Jim Naseum

I don't believe for one minute that the powers that be cant see what is on this phone.  However, I don't care who listens to my phone calls, looks at my pics or laughs at my naked azz while strolling through my house on Sat. morn.  One thing is for sure, I still want everyone's bag checked and I still want everyone go through a screening at the airport....and hey maybe metal detectors are a good idea at schools and movie theaters.  And no I don't want that "scared" woman to accidentally shoot me with her 380 that still has the tag on it while she is fumbling in her purse and Im just standing in line trying to some dam diapers.  The Govt doesn't scare me, but some of the "scared" people out there do.

I won't say the government scares me, but having worked for the government (as a police officer for eight years) it concerns me far more than scared people. Random can always happen with nut jobs, but beware the government that is "here to help", especially in the name of helping the less fortunate. " It's ok, forcing health care isn't a decrease in Liberty, it's helping the poor whom you must hate if you don't like this takeover." Or now "it's ok, we're catching terrorists, that's why we're looking at everything on your computer, phone files, etc."

Slowly increase the temp of the water and the frog won't jump out.

Disclaimer- I want to clarify my time on the police force was by and large great, saw not a sniff of corruption in the ranks or brass, but saw some truly clueless, but very well educated people, making the policies, etc.

This whole thing is just a ruse to take away more freedom and rights.

Think Uncle Sam can't hack a phone ?  Since when does have to be a legal thing in order for them to do it, it gets done either way.

I've heard that yes the FBI has the software to eventually access the encryption into an iPhone but the IOS software is such that after several tries, not sure the number, than all access will be impossible. So while the FBI runs its thousands of possibilities the IOS has already determined the high failure rate and locked the system. There is the issue they are trying to resolve, find solution or protect depending what side of the fence you stand.

• Like 1

The Aaron Swartz doc is incredible and very chilling.  I recall the events, especially the anti-SOPA crusade which I actively supported.  But somehow this giant remains almost unknown.  He should have a large statue.  Yes, it is long...but watch anyway.

Dave

The Aaron Swartz doc is incredible and very chilling.  I recall the events, especially the anti-SOPA crusade which I actively supported.  But somehow this giant remains almost unknown.  He should have a large statue.  Yes, it is long...but watch anyway.

Dave

Can you provide a brief synopsis? I plan to watch it this evening. But, for this discussion, it would be nice to have an idea of it. Is it about IP?

I don't believe for one minute that the powers that be cant see what is on this phone.  However, I don't care who listens to my phone calls, looks at my pics or laughs at my naked azz while strolling through my house on Sat. morn.  One thing is for sure, I still want everyone's bag checked and I still want everyone go through a screening at the airport....and hey maybe metal detectors are a good idea at schools and movie theaters.  And no I don't want that "scared" woman to accidentally shoot me with her 380 that still has the tag on it while she is fumbling in her purse and Im just standing in line trying to some dam diapers.  The Govt doesn't scare me, but some of the "scared" people out there do.

^This attitude scares me.

I remember when the Patriot Act was passed. Supporters proclaimed that it could not or would not be used nefariously.

I don't think they can claim that position any longer.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

Piss off the wrong people and see why you need to fear the government. (I kept trying to figure out how to word this, but that is all I am willing to say.) Right doesn't win many arguments, but power always wins.

• Like 2

Can you provide a brief synopsis? I plan to watch it this evening. But, for this discussion, it would be nice to have an idea of it. Is it about IP?

None of the above directly.  IP in the sense he's the one who started the campaign to share anything from paid downloads from the likes of JStore with others.  He was adamantly of the belief that knowledge belonged to the people.  Not novels, movies, music etc, knowledge, like theses and such. 

His main victory was against SOFA in 2012 when, even though ALL the big money people were pushing it and over 2/3 of congress were supporting it, both sides of the aisle, he used sheer genius to rouse the PUBLIC to such an uproar...it is said that no issue had remotely generated as much traffic to Washington...that Congress flipped to the opposite in a couple of days after Wikipedia, Reddit, and several other sites went dark for 24 hours with a message saying that if the bill passed they could not continue as the law would make them responsible for ever single word on the site.  That was true. 

That did it.  Basically, the nuclear option.  When the Justice Department filed charges against him a year later in clear retaliation he committed suicide from the stress.  He is a genuine martyr for rights.  As he accomplished this by his mid 20s, can you imagine what he might have used "people power" for if he'd lived?  They didn't get into the mode of his suicide, but as his closest friends found it very difficult to believe he was suicidal I'd get all conspiratorial over the least bit of evidence.  This guy was a massive threat to the establishment.

Granted, I'll state that I've not looked at any critics of him and this film is certainly all "pro" on him, but even if he has a few warts simply stopping SOPA was a huge victory for what we are doing now.  This Forum would not exist if it had passed.  You think Klipsch wants legal liability for everything we post?  His legacy is that a movement, with some success, to reform CFAA. "Aaron's Law" remains in committee. 

There is much more to his life and I highly recommend watching this video...even though it's peppered with commercials you can skip.  I'll be Aaron would have hacked a way to block them! 

Dave

Thanks. I'm not a JSTOR member, but I think most of the newer content on there is copyrighted material. As I understand it, he was charged with wire fraud, computer fraud and B&E involving the downloading of these copyrighted materials. They were definitely going to bury this kid so deep he'd never be see the light again. These punishments that have been developed by a rather insane security state are worse than draconian, worse than absurd, and hint at how far astray we are.