Got a new tool today....

MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

Yea I could have posted this in "what I got Today" but this thing is soooo cool I just had to give it it's own thread....

As some of you my know my wife and I own a autoshop. We have had the shop for 17+ years now. I've been a mechanic for close to 34 years now.... I love tools...I love the shiny wrenches all neatly lined up in my tool box. Everything has it's place in my tool boxes. I have two older Mac MB 1700 tool boxes with matching side cabs...all together they measure right about 12' long... I have as much in those boxes as my 1st house cost me back in the early 90's.... and that's not counting the other equipment I have...

So really my tool buying days are over....the things I do buy are several hundred dollars a time... I can't spend $700 a week on tools... So I will buy a few new things a year... I've been looking at this thing called "The Mini Ductor"..... It heats nuts and bolts up with no flame. It uses magnetic field to heat the object. It'll get a 14mm bolt cherry red in about 20 seconds. It has different size coils that you put around the bolt or what ever your heating up. It also has a long lead that you can wrap around bearings.

It came UPS today.... I opened it up and checked it out....looked really cool. I put it on the bench and figured I would play with it later after I finished the radiator job on this Civic I was working on. Well what do you know, there was a small 10mm bolt that was rusted stuck...It was going to snap off. I hooked up one of the small coils pluged the unit in and pressed the little red button. With in 10 seconds the bolt was smoking....held it there for another 10 seconds and it loosend right up with my wrench. Yea this thing it the shitt... and I got to use it again on the alternater belt adjuster that was frozen up...

Hmmmmmmm .....magnetic field.... I wonder I Bob Carver had anything to do with this....lol lol

Trying to load pics....give me a minute..

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-81740000-1456551666_thumb.j

post-58704-0-37980000-1456551686_thumb.j

post-58704-0-79260000-1456551701_thumb.j

post-58704-0-35820000-1456551719_thumb.j

post-58704-0-39620000-1456551744_thumb.j

post-58704-0-05820000-1456551770_thumb.j

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 7

Hmmmmmmm .....magnetic field.... I wonder I Bob Carver had anything to do with this....lol lol

Definitely could be, Bob is a man of many talents.  He winds his own transformers and just look what he can do with a steak knife.  Also, congrats on the tool acquisition.   B)

_ _ bob carver winds transformer 2.jpg

_ Bob Carver 01.jpg

_ Bob Carver 03.jpg

post-36163-0-50700000-1456553615_thumb.j

post-36163-0-26620000-1456553629_thumb.j

post-36163-0-02180000-1456587429_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

WOW!  I always wanted an induction coil. I've seen them used on TV, but I always thought you had to have a thousand pound machine behind them. I completely think I could use one of these. Where did you buy it?

The other day, I splurged and bought and mounted a bench pipe chain vise. If you don't have one, you don't know what you're missing. Even if you never put a pipe in it, it doesn't matter. It's one of those things that kinda makes the regular vise the second choice when working on a lot of stuff. The thing has a million uses, is faster than a regular vise, and it holds better. I should make a thread showing all the stuff I've figured out it's good for so far, and I've only had it a couple weeks.

• Like 2

this thing is soooo cool I just had to give it it's own thread

That is VERY cool "MKP" :emotion-21:  - as a shade tree mechanic, can't tell you how many times this thing would have saved me from pure misery.  Busted knuckles, broken bolts, not to mention the worst of them all, "would you please hand me the drill" :mad:

Enjoy your new toy! 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Very neat tool, but, from the warnings about metal rings piercings, etc., somewhat scary. What's the range of influence? I can't get my wedding band over my ancient knuckle. If I were to use it with my right hand would the ring on my left hand get hot, or even warm?

Speaking of loosening stuck nuts, perhaps USNRET's urologist could have used one of those. :-)

Chuck, from Better Call Saul would hate that thing.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

Cool alternative to a small Oxy/Acet torch set. Those old exhaust manifold bolts are the worst for me. Real pain when you break one too! Probably could use that to melt solder too.

Not the exact same too but same technology.

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys.... I thought alot of you would dig it... I was so pleased the day I got it it was use within 20 minutes of opening it up... I figured it would stay in the tool box before I got a chance to really put it to use..

Cool pics Fjd.... Yea Bob is the man...I got a few of his creations at the house....and I got one of his amps at the shop that power's the Klipsch ;)

mustang guy.... I got it from National Tool Warehouse.... I do like to buy my goods from my local tool guys....but I'm sorry It was almost $200 bucks less @ the Tool warehouse! 

I was surprised when it showed up yesterday.... I showed my wife -AKA- MKP's BOSS...What I wanted to get... (I must start planting the seed).... asked her to start shopping around.... Well hell she didn't just shop around..... she ordered it and didn't tell me. It just showed up. 

So check it out...... My wife gets me tools...wants to get Klipsch speakers and Carver amps.... and she's doing all the planing for the trip to Hope...Yup been together for 25 years now ;)

DizRotus..... I don't know what the range is for danger of the jewelry thing.... I don't wear any....not even a wedding band...

Yea JL Sargent..... One of the main reasons I wanted one is for manifold/cat converter jobs.. I was doing a cat converter on a Honda Pilot last week. It was the rear converter there a real pain to do. I've done them before but this one really beat me up. There are four nuts that hold the converter to the cylinder head. The cylinder head has four studs in it. These were soooo tight and stuck I was thinking I might be braking a stud this time... I was thinking I have got to get one of those Mini Ductor's. I was thinking just alittle bit of heat would free these frozen nuts.... and there's no getting a torch in there.. Well I ending up NOT braking anything but I knew I had to get one of those things.

So yea..... bring on those rusted nuts and bolts.... and those sized bushings..... cuz I'm ready for em :emotion-21:

• Like 2

I don't know what the range is for danger of the jewelry thing.... I don't wear any....not even a wedding band...
I quit wearing a wedding band when I was working on three phase motor controllers. I didn't want to bump the wrong part and and cause a short/arc with the kind of current we were dealing with.

Nice tool! Congrats!

Bruce

• Like 1