Why Tube Amplification Sounds Better

Wolfbane

"Because musical images are created entirely in our imaginations, what we think we are going to hear is often what we hear. This is why otherwise reasonable people think they hear huge differences in foolish (but high-profit) items like cables or power cords. Even though there is no real difference, they hear very real differences that just aren't there. The differences are very real in that listener's vivid imagination, but no where else."

Tube owners let's quit spreading the word about tubes and keep this all to ourselves and let the SS owners keep believing they have it better. Let's start making tube amplifiers a carefully guarded secret and punish members in our exclusive membership that divulge the secret with a heavy fine. 

Seriously you can approximate the lovely mid realistic vocal sound with SS amplifiers but only the ones with a healthy price tag. I am sorry I have waited until my senior years to try a SET amplifier with my LaScala's. In the last 30 days I have built one SS and one SET. Both sound very good but in different ways. For rock maybe the SS and for everything else I will turn on my SET.  

Rock was made to be played loudly by an amp running KT88 tubes.

• Like 2

If he's this popular in photography circles, imagine his depth of knowledge in audio.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53545685

Perhaps you should check out his website and his equipment reviews before you decide or have an opinion of him based on others' opinions of him...

Oh believe you me.. I have.

If I understand . . .

K-Horns, etc., function without creating distortion, generally. Then we use certain amps to create the type of distortion we find pleasant.

When we use amps without distortion, we get undistorted sound. But that is unpleasant.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD

If I understand . . .

K-Horns, etc., function without creating distortion, generally. Then we use certain amps to create the type of distortion we find pleasant.

When we use amps without distortion, we get undistorted sound. But that is unpleasant.

WMcD

Ironically, you nailed it.