Need web site critique

Mallette

I am at best a mediocre programmer and probably worse at design.  Hopefully in the future I'll be able to pay somebody or find a good soul wanting to aid this cause to fix it, but right now just doing the best I know how.

I would recommend looking at wix.com. That's what my site runs on, as well as my wife's site, and I just realized she never finished it. You can get a good idea as to what a total non-designer can do with it though:

http://www.westpaducahlaw.com/

Basically the designer is free if you pay for hosting. You don't even have to pay for it at all really, but you won't get your own domain. Just very cheap for this type of thing. Plus, it is already natively optimized for mobile use. There's no cross-browser BS which is the hardest part of web development. There's tons of templates you can choose from then you can modify and expand whatever you go with. For a very involved site or search engine optimization, yeah pay somebody, but for a brochure type of site with a small amount of pages, there's just really no need for it.

As it actually consists of 6 different programs (so I don't have to recompile and upload the whole thing after changes to a given chapter) it's possible this setting is limited on one or more.  I'd be interested in phone users checking other subjects in there to see if they are all poorly showing or not.

The coolest part about wix is that you can edit it from anywhere. There is no modifying of a site then uploading it. You just log in to your dashboard and change whatever you want, from any computer in the world. Just stupid easy.

My day job is actually being a web developer, but I do the back end with databases, I can't design anything to save my life.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Even with great content the format can make or break a site!  I know many appreciate all the work you are putting into this (me included).

Hope my comments are constructive!

Margins for text are too wide.  I can't stay focused and those long lines make it tough to read.  Shorter lines are much easier to read and they make it look cleaner. If you want to use the whole width of the screen that is fine but don't stretch your text all the way across.  The side area could be for illustrations, pictures, links etc.   Even when there is a lot of content it is much better to have to scroll down further than to have to try to get your eyes to follow a single line all the way across the screen.  If it is too long it might be better to break up into multiple pages.  Personally, I rather keep scrolling though. 

Choose a font that is clear and legible.  It has to be very easy to read... not going for a "cool" look or style when it comes to fonts.  Stick with EASY to read.  Something like Arial, Verdana or Helvetica.  A size 14 font or bigger is needed... probably bigger.  You don't have to be very old to appreciate bigger type!  Keep it simple... no more than two fonts.   I notice that zoom in Chrome does nothing to make anything bigger so I was stuck trying to read the small print.  

The click sounds and moving arrows on the menu bar are unnecessary and distracting.  

Otherwise, basic site critiques...

1. your navigation needs to remain the same throughout the site. Click on swampoodle review for example, and that navigation bar goes away.

2. The slider on the navigation bar is annoying. The menu is already highlighting and this works fine, you don't need to highlight it a second way with the slider thing.

3. On the early settlers page, the mouse pointer doesn't change to a fist as expected with normal links. It does work but typically on a straight up link like that the pointer needs to change. This would have had to be manually overridden so I'm not sure if your editor wigged out or what.

4. The site is laid out in such a way that you're expecting everybody to have a wide screen monitor. If you squish it up, then the layout doesn't change, no scroll bars appear, and the text starts getting so small it is unreadable. That's not a good thing. Early settlers page for example.

5. Speaking of that page, kill that "under construction" graphic.

Besides WIX.com, you should check out squarespace.com. You can pick a template and play around with it. This will give you an idea how everything works. I built a mock up site for a friend but never published it. Squarespace keeps emailing me about it being free now or if I want to make it a premium site, they would give me 70% off.

I think your editor is doing you a disservice. This is what the code looks like for that first paragraph

No idea what's up with that.  May post it to the Opus Forum to see why. Probably slowing things down and bloating the hell out of the code.

I'll take this opportunity to explain why I am using the compiler that I use.  I am familiar with it, having been using it since about 1996.  HTML publishing is not it's forte.  It's main thrust is education and training software (CBT) and simulators, at which it is one of the best available.

I don't really have time to devote to the site with the entire project on my shoulders, so learning something even relatively simple isn't an option at this point.  Further, as demonstrated by MLO's post quoted, it can be set to generate readable output, which will make it easier to transfer to a "real" programmer.

MLO, question for you:  One issue is that Opus doesn't offer a means of providing downloadable content, like audio files.  Do you have or know of a good routine I could insert in the code after the fact to provide this function?

Dave

Edited by Mallette

I would have the links for  Texarkana: A Foxtrot and Marshall open in a new page, unless it is your intent to have viewers leave your site.

Odd, as they did at first.  I've tried several setting and it continues to open in the same tab.  Please check it now.  I've made a change.  Let me know if it's working properly.  I've only changed it on the Index chapter.  If the change is good I'll do so on the master pages of the other chapters.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Otherwise, basic site critiques...

1. your navigation needs to remain the same throughout the site. Click on swampoodle review for example, and that navigation bar goes away.

Fixed on SR.  Let me know of any others.

2. The slider on the navigation bar is annoying. The menu is already highlighting and this works fine, you don't need to highlight it a second way with the slider thing.

Some mention it's cool, others find it annoying.  Those who find it cool won't miss it, and it won't annoy others...that's my theory.  However, not going to mess with it right now.

3. On the early settlers page, the mouse pointer doesn't change to a fist as expected with normal links. It does work but typically on a straight up link like that the pointer needs to change. This would have had to be manually overridden so I'm not sure if your editor wigged out or what.

Please check again.  I can't duplicate.  Hand over all.  I DID find some duplicate code and delete it, but it worked before I did that from here.

4. The site is laid out in such a way that you're expecting everybody to have a wide screen monitor. If you squish it up, then the layout doesn't change, no scroll bars appear, and the text starts getting so small it is unreadable. That's not a good thing. Early settlers page for example.

I am going to compile the index page to scale but to whatever aspect ratio is in use.  Never really considered 4:3 monitors as most are gone.  However, won't hurt widescreen and might help those with old monitors.  Might help with the phone issue as well.  Please let me know if it helps.

5. Speaking of that page, kill that "under construction" graphic.

Easy enough...DONE.

MLO, question for you:  One issue is that Opus doesn't offer a means of providing downloadable content, like audio files.  Do you have or know of a good routine I could insert in the code after the fact to provide this function?

I'm totally unfamiliar with that software so I'm not sure what you mean by inserting a routine, but typically you would upload your file somewhere then figure out what the url is, then make an anchor tag, like <a href="/rockin.mp3">click here for music</a>.

Or you can embed it with a player.

Or, if you're using a DHTML editor, there may be a way to insert a file through it.

Please check again.  I can't duplicate.  Hand over all.  I DID find some duplicate code and delete it, but it worked before I did that from here.

It only does this in Chrome, on IE it works fine. Chrome doesn't like any of your links on the main part of the page though. Looking at the code, it is overly complex for a link:

<a xlink:href="https://www.facebook.com/GeneralMercantileAndOldtimeStringShop/" target="_parent">

<text x="-161.57" y="-25.76" font-family="Times New Roman, Times, Serif" font-size="15.0pt" text-decoration="underline" fill="#4db728" fill-rule="evenodd">

<tspan>

Old

</tspan>

</text>

<text x="-126.57" y="-25.76" font-family="Times New Roman, Times, Serif" font-size="15.0pt" text-decoration="underline" fill="#4db728" fill-rule="evenodd">

<tspan>

Time

</tspan>

</text>

<text x="-79.52" y="-25.76" font-family="Times New Roman, Times, Serif" font-size="15.0pt" text-decoration="underline" fill="#4db728" fill-rule="evenodd">

<tspan>

String

</tspan>

</text>

<text x="-25.45" y="-25.76" font-family="Times New Roman, Times, Serif" font-size="15.0pt" text-decoration="underline" fill="#4db728" fill-rule="evenodd">

<tspan>

Shop

</tspan>

</text>

</a>

Not optimized for phone...but needs to be. I'll check into it and thanks for that!

Dave

What you are looking for is called "responsive". This automatically adjust the site to the viewers screen size.

Another option is to add a script that detects screen size and sends the viewer to a new page built for them. This is bulker and more labor intensive because you have to basically build two or more websites (one for each screen size you want to have available).

FWIW... even though I was on my phone, my screen size is 2560x1440. Not sure if that matters as most websites still default to a "mobile" version unless I specifically request the desktop site (an option available in Firefox).

I'll take this opportunity to explain why I am using the compiler that I use.  I am familiar with it, having been using it since about 1996.  HTML publishing is not it's forte.  It's main thrust is education and training software (CBT) and simulators, at which it is one of the best available.

Programming has come a long way in the last 20 years. Your program may give you HTML, but as you have seen, it isn't what is was built to do; consequently, it gives you some of the most bloated code I have ever seen. Not to mention is isn't using current standards, so your site is not cross compatible with all browsers: Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, etc. There is also the screen issue; desk top, lap top, tablet and phone. So, depending on the browser and screen, the look and functionality change, or in some cases, may not function at all.

I would strongly suggest finding someone to convert your code to something more up to date or that can build the site from scratch using responsive code.

I understand your reasoning, but the site is just technically very out of date.

• Administrators

Dave - I'll echo whoever mentioned using a service like Squarespace. Great website builder service for people on a budget who don't know how to design or program websites and can't afford a pro to do it for them. In my professional opinion, it would be worth the money and time. I think they have a free trial you can play around with.

Gents, I will take a look around.  As of this version, other than patching as much from input here as I am able, I will have to slack off as the web site, as important as it is, is by no means the only or even the most important issue I am dealing with.  Some will be of considerable interest around here.  Film at eleven, maybe twelve...or perhaps next month. 

That is unless I fall over dead of exhaustion...  :unsure:

I certainly appreciate all the help and suggestions!

Dave

My offhand comments are:

1. The green is not lively.  To me, it dulls up the place.  This extends to your avatar, IMHO.
  2. The map should be "live" and enlarge by clicking on it, like maps brought up on many websites.
  3. What is the "Region"?  Can you gin up a name that instantly says what it's about? "Swampdoodle" does zip for me.
  4. Your narrative is too wordy, making the text too small and losing attention.
  5. The visuals are a little jumbled at this stage, and I don't see a flow of concept from page to page.

Hope this helps and doesn't cross your brutality line.

Edited by LarryC

Looks like some constructive criticism so far form the folks here on the forum. Since I know nothing about website construction or writing code, my comments will fall into the nitpicking arena.

Under Leadbelly, he "died" not die.

Under Rockabilly Sweeps...missing seperation between Nelson/brought down the house....also style/similar to Presley's.....

Under Pat Cupp: "worked solo until Perkins as Cupp worked as a solo act"..4th paragraph.

Also Marshall, means nothing to me as a header, Marshall, Texas however would lead me to click on the link.

Best of luck with this project, keep us posted. (As if you had nothing else to do!)

Brutal?  No...honestly pleased given the time, tools, and talent I have for this which is minimal.  Keep it coming.  As to "Swampoodle," that's covered in boogie woogie as is well known in the region.  Old red light district in Texarkana that gave birth to the best known boogie woogie bass line on the planet.  Part of the education outreach. 

The other things I'll work on as time permits.  Keep the comments coming and don't fear being brutal.  I'd rather be brutalized among friends than by others!

Dave

Woot! Woot!  A volunteer has stepped forward from our wonderful family to fix this!  I'll not reveal his name but he is a pro...

So, no need to critique the design/functionality but please keep up the input on the contents and such. 

So, now I am forced to learn Dreamweaver.  Eechh...  Well, I've dealt with less intuitive software in the past so I'll survive.

Dave

• Moderators

I looked at the website on my phone using both Firefox and Chrome. There appears to be an issue with the spaces between the text... Or should I say the lack of spaces between much of the text. See attached screenshot.

I know nothing about website programming, so I don't know if it's related to the site itself or because I'm viewing it on my phone. Though the problem did not go away when I requested the "desktop site" versus the mobile version.

I had same issue just now on a samsung tablet using Chrome.