Need web site critique

Mallette

Instead of going over every little detail, I'd like to comment on some impressions I had when first viewing.  Others have made similar comments ^^^ further upstream, so this will reinforce their observations.

1.  The webpage is hard to read, from a visual aspect.  The odd green background needs to go and be replaced with something that will provide better contrast.

2. The font was too small making the page hard to read.

3.  There were too many fonts.  Use just a couple and make sure they are visually pleasing, no fancy fonts or 4.  multiple colors.  Otherwise it's visually distracting.   See what I mean?  ;)

5.  I didn't like the giant map on the home page.  It was visually distracting.  It might work better on another page where you talk about the exact layout of your region, but it didn't mean anything to me, a person who doesn't know anything about Texas, much less Texarkana.  The home page should be simple and to the point, which is:  MUSIC in OUR TEXARKANA REGION.

I would make TEXARKANA more prominent in describing WHERE your center is located, and WHAT is about (Regional Music Heritage Center).  Instead of a map on the opening page, I would like to see a picture of your building, then maybe a picture of a pretty girl with a cowboy hat playing a fiddle.

In other words, I want a visual impression of what you offer, and some limited words telling me more explicitly what it is you have and more importantly, WHY I WOULD WANT TO COME THERE. 

Is it just a museum?  Is it a place where I can hear music while getting lunch?  Does it have a free 15 minute long movie that airs for a half hour everyday?  Can I interactively learn to play a banjo or learn a piano riff on an old-time piano?

What do I get by coming to your center for x number of hours, information?  Education? Entertainment?  Food?  Drink?  Fun?

What I am saying is, don't design the web site around what YOU know.  Have it address the questions of the potential visitor who DOESN'T know anything but wants an "experience" whatever that is.

Oops.  Too many questions, I fear.  :blush:   I'll stop here. 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Thanks again, friends.  Please feel free to continue concerning content.  Visually, help is on the way. 

Really surprised at the legibility issues as Times New Roman is considered a readable font and most of the text is 16 point.  Captions 14 point.  In any event, it's likely to go sans seriph with the new designer, so hang tight. 

Dave

Yeah, the font is too small for the text you choose to use and part of the problem is you're

trying to get everything on a page that does not scroll---make the font larger--nothing wrong with scrolling

on a web site.  Red doesn't mix well with the green background--change it.

All the pages do not need to be the same color.  Some of the pages have too many words and need

a little more "art" or something to break up the grey matter---seems like all the lines overwhelm you after looking

at it for a few minutes--don't be afraid to be creative by using a few illustrations to break up the wordiness of the

web page. 

On the Swampoodle Review page--Get rid of the RED--it's not working with the green background--

It might work if the backgrond was a different color--red can be a hard color to blend on the internet

with other colors--try and color that is easier to read against that background. I'm not crazy about

the smaller font on that page too.  I might use a different font that is easier to read in the description.

The Headline itself looks fine.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Nikola Yers said:

Hello, you also need to take into account that traffic and visits to the site may drop and you need to work very actively on this. Increase traffic and much more. There are many tools that can help make your website better and I use them too

And another thing that is helpful is to pay attention to the age of something posted, 7 years old, I doubt he is still checking. 

what did the post say   ?     when new members  join , some  never posted on a forum ,  they have no idea what the rules are  , and they blurt anything   and that's all there is to it ........  that aint spamming , it's havin a bit of fun 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, OO1 said:

what did the post say   ? 

6 hours ago, Nikola Yers said:

Hello, you also need to take into account that traffic and visits to the site may drop and you need to work very actively on this. Increase traffic and much more. There are many tools that can help make your website better and I use them too

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, OO1 said:

when new members  join , some  never posted on a forum

That's true some just use  quote and add nothing to it.

7 minutes ago, OO1 said:

they have no idea what the rules are  , and they blurt anything   and that's all there is to it ........  that aint spamming , it's havin a bit of fun 

True, but when they never come back or ask what happened, it's usually spam, some are so obvious it's funny, not even remotely on topic and full of links. 

They are hidden and marked as spam, it happens more than you think. I read each post from new members and even if silly I just click approve, 90% are real and have good intentions.

• Like 1