tv antenna

calhockey10

I have cable, but my smart TV's also pick up all of the antenna channels.  So it has channels that are labeled "Cable" and others that are labeled "Antenna"  The antenna channels take a second to pull in. 

Is the TV using the coaxial cable as an antenna?  If not, how is it picking up the antenna channels? 

The TV's are Samsung if that matters. 

Cable is worthless and I'd like to get rid of it. 

Typically, you have to select either cable or antenna for th eTV to scan for available channels. Things change but as I remember since then advent of digital there are sub-channels to each channel (3, 3.1, 3.2, 16, 16.1, etc). Cable systems receive the programming via satellite or other method and then 're-broadcast' on the channels they want to use. My OTA CBS is 6.1 but my cable CBS (both the same local) is 11. The TV tuner need to know what frequency band to search.

Or I am just spewing BS.

• Like 1

I just bought these TV's a few months ago and they scanned and set everything up for me.  I just hooked up the cable line. 

So does this mean that a modest indoor antenna will work? 

We have cable and seem to watch the antenna channels more.  Just garbage on cable anymore.  I think Amazon Prime and Netflix plus an antenna will do fine for us. 

I just hooked up the cable and selected scan.  I can't remember if I had to select an input of antenna or cable.  Probably cable. 

The TV just did everything and both the antenna and cable channels showed up. I did not have the "antenna" channels with my old TVs. 

Proven once again; Smart TV smarter than me.

So do I need a fancy antenna? I am guessing no.
No such thing! It is either VHF, UHF or a combination and the size / construction gives you the ability to receive more distant or varied locations of signals. Please visit the antennaweb.org site and see what is required for your location. As stated earlier, a signal amp will help in some cases of long runs and multiple TVs using splitters but if used mount as closely as possible to the antenna so you are amplifying signal not line noise. If memory serves, any big box coax splitter will reduce the signal strength approx 6 dB; there are better ones but all reduce the signal. Antenna mounted amps need power so the power supply should be on the antenna run of coax unless you use a splitter that has power passing capabilty.

My TV requires that you select the signal source when having it perform an auto-scan for channels.

Here yo go, I must have selected "both"

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN55JS8500FXZA#!topic/tv_viewing/auto_program

So do I need a fancy antenna?  I am guessing no. 

I need to try this with the Samsung I bought after Christmas. I would love to cut the cable, I can use my phone or tablet as a hub for internet service, and I have the bundle which requires a home phone line that I cancelled a few years ago.

Mark

We cut it about 5-years ago and couldn't be happier about it. We still get the "We miss you" junk mail from dish and cable.

I ran two antennas in my attic, each having it's own amplifier (some 24db(?) RCA amp from Wal-Mart but they work great!) and single, uninterrupted runs of Dayton RG6-QS coax from Parts Express. The antennas are from Antennas Direct at about $100 each.

Putting them in did give a good reason to go out and buy more tools and use some nice compression F-connectors.

After it was all done a re-scan pulls in 66 OTA channels!! There was a bit of withdraw not watching my "car - build it" shows but a lot of those are gone now anyway. We did, however take that extra $80/mo. to get a better/faster internet connection. Frankly, I could do without Netflix (wife keeps it for when the grandkids stay over) but Amazon Prime is nice for all the free shipping, the TV aspect of it is just a nice afterthought.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ecently got playstation vue

I heard that was only in select cities at the moment, plus you have to have a ps4.   I also heard that it will be $50 a month, so the rest could be bs as well. 

On another note.  After watching the Walking Dead season finally last week, with no issues other than some choppiness at times.  I dropped off my Cox cable box at the store yesterday and canceled my service.  They seen me coming a mile away and didn't even try to fight it.  I may only save $30 but may save up to $60.  I will have to see what my bill is next month.  But I was able to spend some of that savings on Sling and upgrading my internet speeds.  Which all together will run about $30 a month, hey its about quality over quantity.  I now get ESPN, and faster internet.

On the antenna thing, I think some tvs have built in antennas like the older tvs did.  You get more and better quality channels when you hook up an antenna.  I am just using a wire coat hanger solder to a coax adapter and I get up to 30 something channels.  Eventually cable companies are going to have to come down in price or find another market.  I see alot of people going this route and not having any problems with it.  I could almost see cable going bye bye.

ecently got playstation vue

I heard that was only in select cities at the moment, plus you have to have a ps4.   I also heard that it will be $50 a month, so the rest could be bs as well. 

On another note.  After watching the Walking Dead season finally last week, with no issues other than some choppiness at times.  I dropped off my Cox cable box at the store yesterday and canceled my service.  They seen me coming a mile away and didn't even try to fight it.  I may only save $30 but may save up to $60.  I will have to see what my bill is next month.  But I was able to spend some of that savings on Sling and upgrading my internet speeds.  Which all together will run about $30 a month, hey its about quality over quantity.  I now get ESPN, and faster internet.

On the antenna thing, I think some tvs have built in antennas like the older tvs did.  You get more and better quality channels when you hook up an antenna.  I am just using a wire coat hanger solder to a coax adapter and I get up to 30 something channels.  Eventually cable companies are going to have to come down in price or find another market.  I see alot of people going this route and not having any problems with it.  I could almost see cable going bye bye.

it works on ps4, ps3, fire sticks, fire tv, and IOS devices.  There are three different packages 29, 35 and 44.  I have zero complaints with it as it has all the channels I watch, dvr, and on demand.  It doesn't get live nbc abc but that is why I am getting an antenna.  It does have those channels for on demand though.  My cable internet went from $151 to $80 by keeping time warner internet and switching to playstation vue from time warner cable

• Like 1

The $44 has all the channels i want. Only problem is i would end up paying twice as much just for BTN. Not a bad option. Does that price include any taxes? If Sling TV doesnt add BTN this fall to their sports package. I will opt for Playstation Vue.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I wish the broadcasting stations were closer to allow for OTA receptions.

I'm sort of stuck with Comcast at the moment.

Great - when it works, but the price is getting ridiculous - as are most of the "connection fees" being paid out.