For Vinyl Guys Only.....No One Else

Tarheel

FYI, in case anyone is interested; I have a source that was able to sell me the 2M Black for $475-$500 new. I have asked if they are still available and the current price. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

Mike

Maybe any of the other Ortofon models?

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments Jim!  Back in the 70s I had a Pickering with a brush like the one on your Stanton.

I gave a Thorens TD-165 to someone here on the forum.....can't remember who but it included a Stanton 500. That combo wasn't that good as I recall.

Thanks Mike....there are a couple of guys on ebay with 100% feedback (Japaan, Germany) selling them for $356 new in unopened box....$11 shipping.

The Pickerings are also excellent depending on the version, I have the XV-15 (moving iron) with a D4500S stylus (shibata).The XSV versions are also great cartridges. Stanton and Pickering are basically the same company which I found out earlier last year. The brush actually works very well on both my 681 and 881. They are dead quiet after being broken in.

The Stanton 500 is a DJ cart,that's why it didn't sound that good. It's more of a conical tip for scratching purposes.

One other cartridge I forgot to mention which is about $100.00 more than your range is the Grado Sonata V2. That is going to be my next cart. They run about $600.00. Depending on the table though, you may get a hum,so I'd speak directly to them and ask. Depending on the arm also, you may need a shim. I know on my Dual 701 I will need one.

You may also want to try out the Denon 103r and get the wooden body from Soundsmith.Again, the sound on their stock cartridge wasn't for me, but this one is supposed to knock the socks off the standard version.

• Like 1

Think I want to stick with moving magnet though the Denon 103r can be had for a good price. 

That brings up another question that came up from my cartridge research.  Some say a phono preamp is preferred over an all in one preamp and that you can hear the difference for the better.  My Quicksilver Full Function pre only has one choice for phono and since I'm using a mm cart I assume I would have to step it up for mc. 

Think I want to stick with moving magnet though the Denon 103r can be had for a good price. 

That brings up another question that came up from my cartridge research.  Some say a phono preamp is preferred over an all in one preamp and that you can hear the difference for the better.  My Quicksilver Full Function pre only has one choice for phono and since I'm using a mm cart I assume I would have to step it up for mc. 

I know on my end,I like using an external phono pre.I went through my receiver, but it sounds better IMO with the external one. You can get a phono pre with both as I have a MC/MM one and it has an adjustable gain as well as a 20/100 gain button. Now if you had a nice Scotts or Fisher, that may be a different story.

I'd definitely try out a few of the carts with shibata tips, whether through Jico or not.

• Like 1

Glad I'm not the only one with a VMS-30 MkII (original green stylus). I don't use it regularly as I side with Shure V15VxMR. My VMS's body is a little corroded but it plays fine. It just sounds a little too subdued for my tastes.

On the VMS, try the Jico stylus.It has a nicer sound to me than the original. I am also getting one of the 2 done with a line trace tip.I am also contemplating the ruby cantilever with line trace.

I had the Shure V15 III with the original high track and SAS replacement stylus, and felt it was too subdued for my tastes. Nice cartridge to me, but not enough on the low end or high end.

• Like 1

Thinking about upgrading to the black for its alleged superior tracking ability in tough passages and on the inner grooves.

I think the toughest tracking test I know of is the "Fox Touch" Crystal Clear discs.  Lowest bass and widest dynamic range I have ever heard on an LP and one of only a couple I have where I leave the DBX in neutral.  The Black tracks it perfectly. 

Dave

• Like 1

Well, it seems my man got in a tight spot for selling below MSRP and now does not have access to Ortofon. He asks "is there another choice and perhaps more expensive brand/model I can offer a deeper discount on?"

If anyone wants his contact email PM me; he has given his permission for me to pass along. I have purchased the Ortofon, Marantz pre/pro and Sharp TV from him.

He will want specific brand and model for any pricing requests and doesn't entertain any what can you get me questions.

Wondering too what Dave's impression of the Ortofon 2M Black is after some play time

They'll pry it from my cold, dead hand...  Got my K'horns and I was done with speakers.  2M Black and likewise with cartridges.  Are there others at higher prices that might be better?  Probably, but given you'd need more TT than I could afford and I'd find those improvements marginal at best...I am done!

Dave

I feel the same way, love my Ortofon SPU Meister "Silver", it was a recommendation from Allan S.  Been a long road to get what I finally felt was a top notch music system, and the Ortofon was one of those components that you know you got a winner when you hear it do it's job the very first time.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

My mistake it's the 2M Bronze for $357. Free shipping. 

Has anyone compared the bronze to the black?

The Bronze and Black are close with the Black edging it out in the upper high end and is slightly more open IMO. Same with the OM series.OM30 and OM40. The OM series is better for LM arms and the 2M better on medium and up.

• Like 1

My mistake it's the 2M Bronze for $357. Free shipping. 

Has anyone compared the bronze to the black?

Yep, I have the bronze mounted on an HK 45. It's also been on the VPI a couple of times. It's a capable cartridge for sure, but I prefer the black.

• Like 1

Interesting comments concerning Bronze vs. Black.  Incremental, but audible improvement for significant price.  That is the point.  Next improvement is less, and the cost much more.  That has been my experience with audio in general.  Equipment cost vs. audibile improvement.  It's time to stop when the next level is both marginal and the cost is exponential.  Poorly phrased, but perhaps what I am trying to say will come through.  If not for the bonus at the time I'd probably say the same thing about the Bronze...that's it's all one really needs.  Just so happened I could splurge for one more increment.  I assure you that if I visit someone with "only" a Bronze I am unlikely to say "Oh, you'd be SO much happier with a Black." 

Dave

• Like 1

I actually love the sound of that Clearaudio Virtuoso so I am no help on that, if it can be retipped reliably and for those prices I would probably go that route. I tend to stay with what I like.

Do you have a second one you use for when the other is retipped?  The horror of wanting to spin a good lp but not having a cartridge is more than I want to imagine.

• Like 1

Bronze versus Black?

Bronze is a really weird color neither shiny nor dark, but it converys a sense of depth, and if you are coming out of an ice age, it's really the thing to have. 

Black, well black is the most overrated , misused, overused, generally abused word in the entire English language.  Quite frankly it should be permanently banned from the lexicon of any language.  Whenever you find yourself tempted to use the work black, me I'd go with red, or  scarlet, or even gray which itself has an almost endless and never ending nuanced uses that rival black, even back in its heyday, yet still  evidencing a b more subtle boring aspect that can hardly be compared to unless contrasted with....

• Like 1