RIP Prince

oldtimer

• Moderators

For the record, we have several friends that are JW. After consulting with the local congregation leader of the "JW Kindom Hall" it is confirmed that Travis's assertions are correct. The only medical treatment that is against their doctrine is blood transfusions.

That being said, everyone here is familiar with our TOS, if you aren't I would suggest you read them. Travis, thank you for the TOS reminder, as mods do have to sleep sometimes.

• Moderators

I think those are all points well taken. I think one key issue I overlooked is that his fan base was predominantly female.

Apparently, he is one of those artists that one gender "got" and the other didn't. I think if you asked women currently in their mid 40s to 50s what they thought about the news and the amount of coverage the might have an entirely different point of view.

That and the "mystery" that is going to exist until an official cause of death is announced will keep the story simmering for awhile. The funeral arrangements will be another component that keeps it swirling.

• Like 1

Apparently, he is one of those artists that one gender "got" and the other didn't. I think if you asked women currently in their mid 40s to 50s what they thought about the news and the amount of coverage the might have an entirely different point of view.

I dunno....Guys who wore platform shoes and bell bottoms in the 70s probably don't object to the coverage and are closet-fans as well. I have to admit, every time I hear Little Red Corvette it brings back good memories--when you look at the video archive of this dudes creativity it's apparent he was a guru or inspiration to many. RIP Prince and tell Bowie I said "Ground control to major tom..."

• Like 1

Chevy ran the attached as a full page ad in Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, USA Today, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times & Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Some feel the ad was an appropriately subtle tribute to a fallen pop icon.  Others feel it was inappropriate corporate opportunism.  You be the judge.  The entire ad is in the attachment.  No reference to Chevrolet or GM, other than the photo of the Corvette.

post-6832-0-39540000-1461432376_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Chevy ran the attached as a full page ad in Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, USA Today, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times & Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Some feel the ad was an appropriately subtle tribute to a fallen pop icon.  Others feel it was inappropriate corporate opportunism.  You be the judge.  The entire ad is in the attachment.  No reference to Chevrolet or GM, other than the photo of the Corvette.

Tribute: He made it 30 years beyond the existing membership of the 27 Club and he didn't waste any of those additional 30 years.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I saw that Sat. thought it was one of the better clips.

The first music performance he wasnin the trench coat with bikini underwear. That was the outfit he was wearing when I saw him open for the Stones. It wad a little much even for a SoCal audience.

I had forgotten about that until they dhowed him in that overcoat, hard to catch.

This unfortunately has Heroin written all over it.

Prince was notoriously straight edge his whole life.  I heard on an interview that he was suffering from arthritis, and the implication was that he had indeed started taking opiates, and as anyone who has used such for pain management knows the risks involved.  All conjecture at this point, but I don't think it necessarily means heroin or that he did the Charlie Parker thing.  That was never his style, ever.

Apparently his ex drug dealer came forward and explained everything. Supposedly he has been addicted to pills for the past 25 years, paid $40,000 for a 6 month supply of Dilaudid pills at a time. Supposedly didn't want to get into all the after-effects of heroin, which is why nobody ever saw him shoot up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555292/Prince-s-former-drug-dealer-reveals-extent-addiction.html

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Also it's being reported now that he was diagnosed with AIDS six months ago but refused medication.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562640/Prince-diagnosed-AIDs-six-months-died-refused-treatment-believed-God-heal-him.html

I am unsure as to how trustworthy that source is especially since they're quoting anonymous sources.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Did see Purple Rain and didn't care for it much or his music but I have to say he was a showman. RIP

Eldon,

A little late to post but...

Back in the day I bought the Purple Rain album and liked a couple of cuts. Since then not a drop of him.

Such a weird thing about this. I have spoken to several about his death and they feel bad as do I. ?????

Why? I only listened to two cuts!!!!

Seti visited Saturday, we discussed it and came to a conclusion. Prince could be thought of the some way as many might think of Elvis Costello.

Both are under our radar but they should be respected for their work.

tc

tc

• Like 1

I was never that big of a fan....RIP anyway.

His two hits before Little red corvette and such, was "Controversy" and "Erotic City". Those two were my favorite songs of his.

I liked his spin-off groups better. Sheila E, Vanity 6 later to be called Apollonia 6, Ready for the World, Jesse Johnson.

I did not like the movie Purple Rain. The only parts of the movie I liked was Morris Day and The Time!

This unfortunately has Heroin written all over it.

Prince was notoriously straight edge his whole life.  I heard on an interview that he was suffering from arthritis, and the implication was that he had indeed started taking opiates, and as anyone who has used such for pain management knows the risks involved.  All conjecture at this point, but I don't think it necessarily means heroin or that he did the Charlie Parker thing.  That was never his style, ever.

Apparently his ex drug dealer came forward and explained everything. Supposedly he has been addicted to pills for the past 25 years, paid $40,000 for a 6 month supply of Dilaudid pills at a time. Supposedly didn't want to get into all the after-effects of heroin, which is why nobody ever saw him shoot up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3555292/Prince-s-former-drug-dealer-reveals-extent-addiction.html

Surprising if true: Dilaudid is more commonly known as hydromorphone which should not be combined with fentanyl long term.

Also it's being reported now that he was diagnosed with AIDS six months ago but refused medication.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562640/Prince-diagnosed-AIDs-six-months-died-refused-treatment-believed-God-heal-him.html

I am unsure as to how trustworthy that source is especially since they're quoting anonymous sources.

Also if true, it is interesting to see he also refused all conventional medical treatment.

No matter your religion; God helps those who help themselves.